GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Boat, Travel or Other Trailer Towing Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 06:36 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
I am fairly sure Sport mode only changes the suspension settings and would do nothing to the revs or torque band but I could be wrong.
Originally Posted by tecman
I was thinking the same, I have not read anything here about sport or any other mode altering the drivetrain.
Sport mode on the transmission - NOT suspension. I have a base GX so don't even have the leveling suspension. Maybe it's a new feature on the 2014 - but if you slap the gearshift over to "S" mode - this changes throttle mapping and also tells the transmission to hold gears. It will keep you in the 3000-4000rpm range. I have used this towing around town, but not sure if this would work on the highway well or not.
The following users liked this post:
lexus430RB (02-23-23)
Old 07-28-14, 08:03 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performance Improving

We are now at around 4500 miles and I have noticed an improvement. It could just be the engine is beginning to break in.

I can remain in 5th for longer periods of time on the highway with no shifting.

Getting closer to 10.5 mpg now.
Old 07-28-14, 08:23 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jepva
Sport mode on the transmission - NOT suspension... I have a base GX so don't even have the leveling suspension. Maybe it's a new feature on the 2014 - but if you slap the gearshift over to "S" mode - this changes throttle mapping and also tells the transmission to hold gears. It will keep you in the 3000-4000rpm range. I have used this towing around town, but not sure if this would work on the highway well or not.
I have searched high and low for an explanation of what "S Mode" is on the transmission, and I can't find any Lexus documentation that indicates that S mode modifies the throttle mapping. Can you point to something from Lexus that states that?

The OM only states that the S mode puts a ceiling on what gear the automatic transmission can select from, but that any gear under that level is selectable. This can help keep the trans from hunting and can aid with engine braking.

There are many who believe that the "S" in S mode stands for Sequential, not Sport, but again, Lexus remains ambiguous on this abbreviation.

Last edited by closenough; 07-28-14 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 07-28-14, 01:37 PM
kerplunk38
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is because it does not impact the throttle mapping in any way, shape, or form. S Mode (not the same as Sport Mode) does exactly what you stated. It modifies shift points which in turn help with engine braking, and thus avoid constant shifting when driving through hilly terrain. I can see where this could help with towing.

Originally Posted by closenough
I have searched high and low for an explanation of what "S Mode" is on the transmission, and I can't find any Lexus documentation that indicates that S mode modifies the throttle mapping. Can you point to something from Lexus that states that?

The OM only states that the S mode puts a ceiling on what gear the automatic transmission can select from, but that any gear under that level is selectable. This can help keep the trans from hunting and can aid with engine braking.

There are many who believe that the "S" in S mode stands for Sequential, not Sport, but again, Lexus remains ambiguous on this abbreviation.
Old 07-30-14, 07:06 PM
dstock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI - the OM states to put the tranny in 5s and susp in sport if you equipped. Also turn off air susp or car while hooking up anything to hitch so leveling doesn't get screwy.
Old 10-05-14, 12:44 PM
Skyron
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Towing

I will be towing a Jayco Skylark 3500 Lb. trailer with a our GX 460 Premium.We recently purchased the GX 460.. Previously I towed with a 2005 4R V8 with really good performance.
Will the performance be as good or better.??? And any GX460 towing recommendations???
Have the Lexus factory $700.00 hitch installed and using a Hensley cub hitch.
Ron
Old 10-06-14, 03:48 PM
Kitana
Driver

Not nearly the load you will be towing but I have a small 4' x 6' enclosed cargo trailer for all our beach stuff. I can't even tell it is behind me when towing. With it almost fully loaded we still averaged 21mpg highway down and back from the cottage. I am confident it could take on much larger/heavier trailers without any issue.

Last edited by Kitana; 10-07-14 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-07-14, 04:00 PM
Skyron
Driver School Candidate

Default Towing

Thanks for the reply.
The trailer is 23+ Feet Long and with a single axle.
Ron
Old 10-07-14, 08:19 PM
Kitana
Driver

Side note: Since the GX has a swing out back gate I highly recommend a swivel jack welded to the side of the hitch frame to avoid damaging the gate if you don't already have one.
Not my boat or trailer. Just an image I found to show the jack.

Last edited by Kitana; 10-07-14 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 06:34 PM
Skyron
Driver School Candidate

Default Towing.

I am curious what milage I can expect with the GX 460 Premium pulling our travel trailer.
The frontal area on the 3500 pound Travel Trailer is a nicely designed aerodynamic 'V'.
We plan on taking an extensive trip next summer.
What are other GX owners on the Lexus forum experiencing with gas milage towing?
Ron
Old 10-18-14, 04:40 AM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Skyron
I am curious what milage I can expect with the GX 460 Premium pulling our travel trailer.
The frontal area on the 3500 pound Travel Trailer is a nicely designed aerodynamic 'V'.
What are other GX owners on the Lexus forum experiencing with gas milage towing?
Ron
I tow a 23' Airstream that weighs up to 6000 lbs when fully loaded. I get around 10 mpg when towing. I can almost see the fuel gauge go down as I tow up mountain passes.

Other than poor mileage I enjoy towing with my 2013 GX 460.
Old 10-18-14, 06:30 PM
Letch
Driver School Candidate

I tow a 5500# boat and have no problems at all. It tows way better than my previous vehicle (Mercedes ML 320) rated to tow 7200. I usually get about 11.5-12 mpg when towing, but the GX handles it without any issues.
Old 10-22-14, 07:00 AM
cjs2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Skyron
Ron
I also get 10 mpg towing a 3500lb travel trailer, it's full height and not really all that aerodynamic.
Old 12-09-14, 09:30 PM
lexusfreez
Driver School Candidate

Default Long Distance Towing with GX

We are planning a move from Alberta to the Toronto area in the next month or so. We don't have a whole lot of furniture in our house that's of value. Since we have to move our GX in any case, we were thinking of towing most of our valuables in a UHAUL 6'x12' trailer.
I don't have the hitch installed yet, but the dealer here will charge about $750 or so.
We expect to load about 2500 lbs or so.
The distance traveled will be about 2000 miles or so.
Is this move possible with this type of trailer load? It'll be the first time I'm attempting something like this, so please pardon my ignorance.
Any tips/suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 12-10-14, 06:43 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusfreez
We are planning a move from Alberta to the Toronto area in the next month or so. We don't have a whole lot of furniture in our house that's of value. Since we have to move our GX in any case, we were thinking of towing most of our valuables in a UHAUL 6'x12' trailer.
I don't have the hitch installed yet, but the dealer here will charge about $750 or so.
We expect to load about 2500 lbs or so.
The distance traveled will be about 2000 miles or so.
Is this move possible with this type of trailer load? It'll be the first time I'm attempting something like this, so please pardon my ignorance.
Any tips/suggestions will be appreciated.
You should have no problem with that weight. Make sure your tires are properly aired up and just take your time. Make sure you keep extra room for stopping as you will be hauling a lot of extra weight. Just be smart about it.

Quick Reply: Boat, Travel or Other Trailer Towing Experiences