GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Wheels Make ALL the Difference in the World - 20" Forgeline's on 2014 GX460

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-14, 07:47 AM
carhor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheels Make ALL the Difference in the World - 20" Forgeline's on 2014 GX460

When my parent's bought their GX, it was apparent that we needed to do something about the wheels! So, I contacted Tony at DV8motoring(.com) and he helped me spec out a set of 20" Forgeline VR3P wheels. We decided on a brushed finish with a polished clear lip. It also has machined accents, which are hard to see in the pics. However, up close the wheels look like a work of art!

For tires, I went with a 275/55/20 Nitto 421Q. There is some very minor rubbing up front, but it is fixable! With this setup, the ride quality has not changed at all; it may even ride a little bit better than stock!

As you can see from the pictures, the difference is night and day! While these wheels aren't cheap, they are worth every penny in my mind!

Michael

Last edited by carhor; 06-11-14 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-07-14, 02:34 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Sharp looking The photography looks professional. Is it going to be used by Forgeline to show customers?
What is machined accented? I have the same configuration but with DUBs and was given an option to paint accents but machined never came up. If you don't have a close up picture I would like to see one when you can take it.
Old 06-07-14, 08:28 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those don't look like 20's
Old 06-07-14, 10:25 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice!!! They just complete the car IMO, 18s are just too small. Do you notice any difference in handling??
Old 06-08-14, 01:23 AM
carhor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
Sharp looking The photography looks professional. Is it going to be used by Forgeline to show customers?
What is machined accented? I have the same configuration but with DUBs and was given an option to paint accents but machined never came up. If you don't have a close up picture I would like to see one when you can take it.
Thanks! My friend Tony at Warped Media took the pictures. I'm not a photographer so I just pay the pro's to handle it. Forgeline has posted pics on their site which is pretty cool.

As for your question, the face is brushed and the sides of the spokes can be done in an accent finish, in my case it's machined. It looks awesome up close and is one of the perks of buying a high end 3pc wheel. You can notice it up close (it's brighter than the brushed finish), but it's hard to tell from pictures.

Originally Posted by frank69m
Those don't look like 20's
What does it look like?

I put a taller tire on it so it has the same profile tire (roughly) as the stock wheel.

Originally Posted by Lolrax
Nice!!! They just complete the car IMO, 18s are just too small. Do you notice any difference in handling??
Appreciate it! It's hard to say but I think this is a far better tire than the OEM one. It is a little wider so handling may be better, but I really haven't driven the vehicle much as it's my folks car.

Michael
Old 06-08-14, 03:49 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on the new wheels. To me the wheels completely cheapen the look of the vehicle but if you are happy with them that is what really matters.
Old 06-08-14, 04:25 AM
carhor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bradtopp
Congratulations on the new wheels. To me the wheels completely cheapen the look of the vehicle but if you are happy with them that is what really matters.
Thanks. I'm not sure how anyone could say these wheels 'cheapen' the look of this vehicle, but you're entitled to your opinion.
Old 06-08-14, 04:27 AM
carhor
Driver School Candidate

QUOTE=tecman;8572589]Sharp looking The photography looks professional. Is it going to be used by Forgeline to show customers?
What is machined accented? I have the same configuration but with DUBs and was given an option to paint accents but machined never came up. If you don't have a close up picture I would like to see one when you can take it.[/QUOTE]

Here's a better picture of the actual finish of the wheel.

Wheels Make ALL the Difference in the World - 20" Forgeline's on 2014 GX460-photo-4.jpg[

You'll notice the sides of each spoke are machined.

Michael
Old 06-08-14, 05:15 AM
sanf
Rookie

very nice wheels you there. does this setup make the car higher?
Old 06-08-14, 07:36 AM
carhor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sanf
very nice wheels you there. does this setup make the car higher?
I guess it technically sits 0.7" higher with the tire being 1.4" taller than the original tire. The new tire is 31.9" and the oe tire is 30.5".
Old 06-08-14, 07:49 AM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Those look fantastic. Looks like the tires fill out the wheel wells a little more too.
Old 06-08-14, 12:45 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Love the wheels, much better looking than stock.
Old 06-08-14, 04:32 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I don't know why you think replacing a flat looking factory stamped out $200-$300 wheel with a custom wheel that offers an obvious difference with depth,detail and the contrast of chrome along with brushed finish cheapens the look.
The guy I dealt with tried to sell me a one piece wheel for $400 but I knew what I wanted (brushed center and Chrome lip). In order to get that contrast it does cost $1000-$1500 per wheel easily.Wheel amatures can even recognize the quality craftsmanship and complement me often. Try paying attention to the wheels you see on cars and you will find that it is difficult to find this look. Cheap wheels may add the bolt pattern around the wheel you see posted here but it is not a true bolt and it shows and the separation from the center and the barrel/lip should be obvious. Oh and if there is a center cap it is a cheap wheel.

Cheapen....umm ....High dollar upgrade.
Old 06-08-14, 05:45 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

I think the wheels themselves are for the most part attractive. However, something about the wheels doesn't blend with the rest of the vehicle and they just seem to cheapen the overall style. I would never pay that much for these wheels.

I understand they were very expensive and well made. Again, this is just my opinion but expensive, exotic, or complicated things aren't always attractive to everyone. This is what makes us individuals. You obviously like these very much so please enjoy them and I will stop typing now.

I don't know why you think replacing a flat looking factory stamped out $200-$300 wheel with a custom wheel that offers an obvious difference with depth,detail and the contrast of chrome along with brushed finish cheapens the look.
The guy I dealt with tried to sell me a one piece wheel for $400 but I knew what I wanted (brushed center and Chrome lip). In order to get that contrast it does cost $1000-$1500 per wheel easily.Wheel amatures can even recognize the quality craftsmanship and complement me often. Try paying attention to the wheels you see on cars and you will find that it is difficult to find this look. Cheap wheels may add the bolt pattern around the wheel you see posted here but it is not a true bolt and it shows and the separation from the center and the barrel/lip should be obvious. Oh and if there is a center cap it is a cheap wheel.

Old 06-08-14, 11:57 PM
carhor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hammer208S
Those look fantastic. Looks like the tires fill out the wheel wells a little more too.
Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Love the wheels, much better looking than stock.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

I think the wheels themselves are for the most part attractive. However, something about the wheels doesn't blend with the rest of the vehicle and they just seem to cheapen the overall style. I would never pay that much for these wheels.

I understand they were very expensive and well made. Again, this is just my opinion but expensive, exotic, or complicated things aren't always attractive to everyone. This is what makes us individuals. You obviously like these very much so please enjoy them and I will stop typing now.
No need to argue this point. We are all entitled to an opinion and should respect the opinion of others, even if we disagree.

I will never run factory wheels on any of my cars, but that's just me! I think the right wheels make a car and that's why I'm willing to pay the high price for a set of forged wheels.

Brad.....I think if you saw the two wheels side-by-side, in person; you would have a different opinion!

Michael

Quick Reply: Wheels Make ALL the Difference in the World - 20" Forgeline's on 2014 GX460