GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Goodbye LX470 hello GX460

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-15, 03:38 AM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Goodbye LX470 hello GX460

Was the proud owner of a 2000 LX470 until I traded it away for a 2011 GX 460 last month. I was actually at the dealer looking to trade up to a 2005 LX when my wife fell in love with the black GX sitting a few feet away.

Some observations after a month of driving the GX.

What I liked about the LX:

The seats were more comfortable and the truck felt a bit more solid going down the road.
It was a bit larger, particularly the rear cargo area.

My dislikes of the LX:

The constant drone at highway speeds and while sitting at a red light. The 05 I drove did the same thing.

My LX also had the dreaded rust spot on the rear gate that is a common problem.

At 75 MPH the tach reads around 2250 rpm's on the LX 470, and it seems you have to push it to maintain that speed.

I love the technology in the GX, love the park assist sensors, bluetooth, large Nav screen. The 6 speed transmission is a plus along with the more updated look of the interior. The GX can maintain 80 mph effortlessly. I do wish the GX had the ECT POWER/NORM switch that the LX and most other Lexus vehicles have. I'm not yet sold on the push button starting, but it's growing on me. No more broken Lexus keys!

All things considered, I don't regret the trade.
Old 05-10-15, 04:02 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the GX

Did you off-road the LX and plan to do the same with the GX?

Do you know what was causing the "drone" sound on the LX?

It makes sense that you found the 2011 GX interior and technology advancements better than a 2005 LX

Sounds like you're happy with it. Any plans for modifcations?
Old 05-10-15, 10:05 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tecman
Congrats and welcome to the GX

Did you off-road the LX and plan to do the same with the GX?

Do you know what was causing the "drone" sound on the LX?

It makes sense that you found the 2011 GX interior and technology advancements better than a 2005 LX

Sounds like you're happy with it. Any plans for modifcations?
Never any serious off-roading. I couldn't track down the "drone" sound but it is a common problem with the 100 series. Lexus even bolted weights onto the frame and the muffler to control it.

I always keep my cars stock. I hope the 4.6 proves to be as robust an engine as the 2uz is. Definitely pleased there is no timing belt and am happy with the mileage. I seem to average around 17 with GX, but only achieved 13-14 combined with the LX.
Old 05-11-15, 09:07 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Congrats. My wife had a similar experience comparing the LX and GX. I wanted her to want the LX, but we ended up with a GX for similar reasons. The tech part of a vehicle changes so fast these days even if the platform stays largely the same. Hard not to enjoy that part of the vehicle.

Your 2000 LX still had the 4 speed automatic, and the early 2UZ was a nice engine but certainly was under powered for a V8. The newer 100 series LX's (like the 2005) got a 5 speed auto, VVTi in the engine, and HP improvements that gave it more punch - but still not as nice as the newer 4.6 V8 (or the 5.7 in the newer LX's).

As far as the ECT power, doesn't the GX have "sport mode" in the transmission shifter (rather than D - Drive)? I don't drive our GX much and can't remember specifically. Sport mode would simulate the ECT button by changing the shift patterns in the tranny to hold RPM's a bit longer.
Old 05-11-15, 03:22 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jacket
Congrats. My wife had a similar experience comparing the LX and GX. I wanted her to want the LX, but we ended up with a GX for similar reasons. The tech part of a vehicle changes so fast these days even if the platform stays largely the same. Hard not to enjoy that part of the vehicle.

Your 2000 LX still had the 4 speed automatic, and the early 2UZ was a nice engine but certainly was under powered for a V8. The newer 100 series LX's (like the 2005) got a 5 speed auto, VVTi in the engine, and HP improvements that gave it more punch - but still not as nice as the newer 4.6 V8 (or the 5.7 in the newer LX's).

As far as the ECT power, doesn't the GX have "sport mode" in the transmission shifter (rather than D - Drive)? I don't drive our GX much and can't remember specifically. Sport mode would simulate the ECT button by changing the shift patterns in the tranny to hold RPM's a bit longer.

The GX does have the sport mode option, but I'm a bit confused with it even after reading the owner's manual. From what I understand, If I wanted sport mode for everyday driving I'd move the selector to the left and then select "6" so it goes into all the gears? Id' greatly prefer the "set it and forget it" switch like all my other cars have.

I wish they had put the 5.7 in the GX, but I bet that would have cut into sales of the LX 570.
Old 05-11-15, 03:43 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by midwest2
The GX does have the sport mode option, but I'm a bit confused with it even after reading the owner's manual. From what I understand, If I wanted sport mode for everyday driving I'd move the selector to the left and then select "6" so it goes into all the gears? Id' greatly prefer the "set it and forget it" switch like all my other cars have.

I wish they had put the 5.7 in the GX, but I bet that would have cut into sales of the LX 570.
SaniDel does a good job of explaining it here.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ion-surge.html

I mostly use this on main roads while trying to get past the poky drivers.
Old 05-13-15, 01:28 PM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting I just did the complete opposite last week. I picked up a 05 Landcruiser 72K Miles and sold My 14'GX 14K Miles. I really loved the GX but I was tired of having a car payment. I work from home and hardly drive anywhere and if I do I usually drive one of my Hotrods. The GX fit my need in every way super dependable and the comfort was amazing. I hardly ever used any of the tech stuff because I didn't know what did what. The Landcruiser is nice feels heavy. The Timing Belt and water pump were done last year so I feel good about that and had excellent matience records. Time will tell if I did the smart move but will see.

Old 05-13-15, 03:28 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

That is one sweet Cruiser! Low mileage with up to date maintenance-- very very rare. The Land Cruiser and its Lexus twin have timeless style and beauty. Ur 14GX....in my opinion, maybe not so much.

You can't go wrong with that vehicle. If you don't mind....what did it set u back?
Old 05-13-15, 04:14 PM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks I'm kind of excited. I sent you a pm on the price.

Originally Posted by midwest2
That is one sweet Cruiser! Low mileage with up to date maintenance-- very very rare. The Land Cruiser and its Lexus twin have timeless style and beauty. Ur 14GX....in my opinion, maybe not so much.

You can't go wrong with that vehicle. If you don't mind....what did it set u back?
Old 05-13-15, 04:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Revnitup
Thanks I'm kind of excited. I sent you a pm on the price.
You can't post the price here?
Is it classified?
Old 05-13-15, 09:40 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Discovered today the Mercedes dealer where I bought my GX put 42 psi into the new tires. I backed it off to 32. The GX rides much better.
Old 05-14-15, 08:39 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Solid 100 series!