GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX Luxury Presitious Society Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 08:31 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2014 GX Luxury Presitious Society Install

I ordered my unit a couple of months ago and finally got around to installing this morning. Works as advertised out of the box. Granted its been in thr truck so far for about an hour, but I'll update over the next few months for good or bad.

For those of you that choose to do this install yourself, I write the following comments and offer amendments to the instructions supplied from Prestigious Society (PS hereafter):

Even if you have done these before on other vehicles, read the instructions a few times to make sure you grasp nuances PS has included. The painter's tape is invaluable on the sides of the radio fascia and the bottom of the A/C display window. A few micro cloth towels go a a long way on the exposed shifter threads and the sides of the center console after the top plate is removed.

Step 1: Is self explanatory and PS did a good job of explaining what to do.

Step 2 : Is also on point.

Step 3: Should look like the first picture I have attached in a 2014.

Step 4: The radio harness will not give too much on space. It will be difficult to unfasten the harness. Keep your patience and you will be rewarded. If you have not read how to disconnect the the lock harness on the second to last page of the instructions, you should make sure you are real familiar with it before you tackle this step. Otherwise you will get very frustrated quickly. I was grateful I had read how a few times before getting to this step.

Steps 5 through 9: All exactly as PS has instructed. I did not find a need to do Step 5 as all other steps worked around it.

Step 10: Here is where my heartburn started with PS. You do not need to do this at all! Don't do it! First off there are only two bolts on the 2014 Nav head. Secondly you do not need anything from behind this panel. All connectors from the PS unit plug into the radio head which you already removed in Step 4. Perhaps the previous units were different. The 2014 does need anything from the PS unit supplied. See the third picture I have attached. Nothing plugs into it except the factory harnesses that are already attached. Skip this step completely and save yourself from handling the big Nav screen.

Step 11: The radio unit shown is from a different year than 2014. See my second attached picture. There is one less plug on the 2014 radio head. The PS instructions are good on the all parts of step 11. Follow as demonstrated and you will be good.

Step 12: Follow as instructed and you will be putting it all back together with a successful install. One side note on step 12. You will have a blank screen on the Nav head for about two minutes and than a self initialization message will follow for about another minute with a status bar. After that completes the unit goes through normal boot up and the map will appear.

The last picture I attached is where and how I installed the PS unit itself. I did attach some soft side velcro to the back of the unit so that is what touches the duct it is flex tied to. Keeps down on the rattles. Also, although you can't see it in that picture, I did use some very small flex ties to secure the fiber optic cables to existing harnesses in the cavity so they would not bounce around on bumps and cause rattles.

After completing this, I would not hesitate to do another. Pretty straight forward and not too much heavy lifting.

Randy B
Attached Thumbnails 2014 GX Luxury Presitious Society Install-install-1.jpg   2014 GX Luxury Presitious Society Install-radio-head-1.jpg   2014 GX Luxury Presitious Society Install-nav-head-1.jpg   2014 GX Luxury Presitious Society Install-unit-install-1.jpg  
Old 05-18-14, 05:59 PM
sanf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Nice work
Old 05-18-14, 06:28 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you, I've got to get mine installed one of these days.
Old 05-18-14, 06:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Thank you, I've got to get mine installed one of these days.
I thought you got the Beat Sonic version? Maybe you are referring to the general installation?
Old 05-19-14, 02:47 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I thought you got the Beat Sonic version? Maybe you are referring to the general installation?
Yeah, I am referring to the installation tips as its the same basic install process.
Old 06-02-14, 08:36 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi Brandy, I have a question for you? When u install the PS unit, there are small wires harness, do you connect them together? Or you connect one pin harness to the car harness and the other one to the radio? Thanks
Old 06-02-14, 08:53 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Hi Randy, I have a question for you? When u install the PS unit, there are small wires harness, do you connect them together? Or you connect one pin harness to the car harness and the other one to the radio? Thanks
It's Randy, and the two single wire leads connect as follows:
One to the radio head, and one to harness in the vehicle that you removed from the radio head. Essentially, you are forming a splice in between the radio head and the vehicle harness with the PS Unit.

Randy B
Old 06-02-14, 08:57 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Randy B
It's Randy, and the two single wire leads connect as follows:
One to the radio head, and one to harness in the vehicle that you removed from the radio head. Essentially, you are forming a splice in between the radio head and the vehicle harness with the PS Unit.

Randy B
Thanks I did that, but I can not watch video or enter NAV while moving, it just work like nomarl.
Old 06-02-14, 10:48 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by ohiois350

Thanks I did that, but I can not watch video or enter NAV while moving, it just work like nomarl.
Sent you a PM.
Old 06-02-14, 12:22 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Thanks for the help from Randy, I got everything work now, my Apple TV work perfectly on NAV screen too.
Old 09-05-14, 01:00 PM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...got my unit this morning... studying the instructions. Hope the panel removal part goes easy...
Old 09-06-14, 02:17 PM
redbrick
Rookie

Here’s my experience….from someone who has never installed/modified/messed with car audio systems…never had to.

My instructions only came with a total of 8 steps includes a few sub-steps….seems different than what Randy got. Also the instructions contain small black and white pics….difficult to get a complete scope in some cases. The folks at Prestigious Society however are very good at answering the phone and will definitely do their best to help you understand the scope of work.

Removing the panel moldings was really scary at first. I just wasn’t sure how the panels were attached to the car. Once I got the first panel off… without much force mind you….I was really surprised how easy this was. I did not know car panels are attached this way….crazy!!!!

The center console was perhaps the most difficult part of the install. The instructions only tell you how to remove it, but it does not tell you what to expect. Simply pulling the panel off isn’t enough. Here are my notes:

2.9) Before you start #3, you have to make sure your parking brakes are set, and shift the car to neutral…or you’ll be stuck frustrated why step 3 seems so difficult.

3.1) As soon as you loosen the shifter, note that the boot/shifter cover has a collar with a notch that aligns with the base of the shifter…disconnect this, cause mine stayed stuck and it just kept twisting and I thought I was going to rip this.

3.2) After you’ve managed to separate this panel, there will be a bit of resistance from all the stuff the buttons are connected to. You’ll freak because you’ll have no idea how many cables are connected to this panel. Peek under it and you’ll see (like the guts of a borg). However, don’t be alarmed…I counted only 5 plugs total that need to be disconnected to separate the panel from the car, not sure if it’s different for those without other options. Three white ones you can see almost immediately and two totally hidden from view. They are just to the left closer towards the front. A dental mirror, small flash light, and small bitty hands will really help. Note that nearly every plug I came across has deep penetrations…almost ľ inch long, and all lock and release with some form of plastic spring clip. So the trick is to figure out which direction to push on the spring clips to release and pull the plug. All the plugs were tight at first pull, but once released…they came off easily ( In case you’re wondering the painters tape Randy shows on his picture is to protect you for this stage and subsequent stages. You’ll be banging big chunky pieces around a bit)

5.3) When reconnecting the system….I’d advise trying to remember which plug goes where and especially the orientation. Start from the center and work your way towards the edges of the system….will make it easier given how tight it is.

I ended up zip tying a bunch of wires together, not sure if this was a good idea or not. Randy’s pic do a good job of augmenting the process. Oh yes, keep ALL your tools in the foot well….I almost ripped my seats with a pair of needle nose pliers…dang that was close…

On the kit: Your forming two major splices….for a while I was wonder what the heck I should do with the two little wires

This system will be great for long distance trips… …Can’t wait for autonomous cars…..
Old 09-06-14, 02:54 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Glad it went well.

Glad my experience assisted and gave you confidence in going forward with your install. The product is very good and reliable.

We just got back from a several hundred mile long weekend over Labor Day and the device worked as advertised and makes the drive that much more pleasurable.

Randy B
Old 09-07-14, 12:38 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Glad you got it install correctly, but a big kudo to Randy, he is the first one install these unit in the new 14" GX, and he discovered that we don't have to remove the NAV unit:thumb up: which we are lucky to own the 14" not the 13" or older models, so we don't have to deal with more panels remove, yeah I watch movies entire times from Ohio to Chicago over the Labor Day weekend
Old 09-07-14, 07:07 PM
redbrick
Rookie

…Agreed, definitely big kudos to Randy for taking the first step.

Some follow up preliminary thoughts since I am still breaking in the car and travelling anywhere still takes a long long time.

The system has to be turned on at the steering wheel which at first I thought was a good idea….but I think this is a bit of an inconvenience to the driver. (I prefer wife to keep both eyes on the road) I think it would be better if the passenger could turn the system on/off without troubling the driver. …Perhaps a similar activation concept except utilizing another button somewhere on the nav system????

I saw the 2013 RX Youtube demo and wished they were able to keep the video bypass on constantly…because there were times when it would have been really nice/helpful to be able to flip back and forth between the Audio and Nav function. When the system is activated, the Nav just stops working at your last location. You have to turn off the bypass unit and wait several seconds (watching turn intersection pass) for the nav to come back to life. Granted I knew this before purchasing this unit…just did not have the practical experience with the unit. …or maybe I have not configured something correctly.

Would I buy this unit again? Yes, but I would wait till more improvements are made….I think PS has something good starting here… I’m just glad I have a way to bypass the lockout, but it’s a bit clunky at the moment.

Quick Reply: 2014 GX Luxury Presitious Society Install