GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 08:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

A service managers word is crap ( he may have worked at a Kia dealership last week and I doubt he has true knowledge with any vehicle made ) ,try using His words as a reference with a warranty problem. Bradtopp is correct in his comments in my opinion.
Old 05-06-14, 08:30 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

its a free country, put whatever gas you want in your GX. Just dont sell it without telling buyer that....
Old 05-06-14, 08:32 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by petiepye
The service manager told me, "no issues with running regular".
thats a load of BS. Another example of why people dont trust dealer..
Old 05-06-14, 10:53 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
its a free country, put whatever gas you want in your GX. Just dont sell it without telling buyer that....
Free country? If I were free I would run high octane without the 10% ethanol but yet I am not free to do so due to government EPA
Sorry, I don't feel free to put what I want in my GX.

Freakin corn crap
Old 05-07-14, 06:18 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The service manager at any dealer will not have any say in a call for waranty service due to issues with running fuel that is not recommended by Lexus. I'm friends with 2 people who are both service managers and when issues come up the manufacture asks for spacific samples and tests that a service manger (unless he does something shady) can not change the results on.

Bottom line is, it probabaly won't hurt it but if it does you stand a real chance of saving a few dollars now and spending a lot later.

It's yours, do with it as you see fit.
Old 05-12-14, 06:25 AM
pointman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of fuel tests. Do you know first hand if they do those?
Old 05-12-14, 06:50 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pointman
I've never heard of fuel tests. Do you know first hand if they do those?
First hand, No, because I don't work at a dealer. But I know GM will do it if there is a issue with the ZR1 Corvette's because they require premium grade fuel. I don't know any Lexus techs but if Chevy does it i'm sure Lexus can if it's going to protect them.
Old 05-12-14, 11:58 AM
sanf
Rookie

I can't imagine anyone would put regular gas in the ZR1 but I doubt that they will run the fuel test on mass production vehicles say ... on the Tahoe or Impala.

I would assume its the same for Lexus, they will prob run the fuel test on LFA or ISF if there's a fuel related problem but probably won't for the RX, GX, ES or IS.
Old 05-13-14, 08:10 PM
davidc2
Driver School Candidate

Default Don't do it.

Carbon buildup inside the IS 250 engine is (huge) in these engines. Using low grade gasoline will definitely exacerbate this and the loss in peer is significant. I only run strictly only 93 Amoco Ultimate and She'll V Power. Nothing else ever.

If I'm stuck and the station is out and absolutely forced to use the lower octane that fuel gauge goes down way faster and it's clear I'm getting way less gas mileage with less power-it's a joke. When I use the V power it also seems I get lower gas mileage than the ultimate. I assume due to all the detergent in the V power.

You get what you pay for and even less by running the lower grade because the carbon buildup that makes the car run like ****.

Finally if you already have the carbon buildup I highly recommend the Valvoline Syn Power Service $165 at Toyota. Have them clean the MAF Sensor and Throttle body when they do it. If your the type who listens to their engine and notice a nicer tone when your at the Lexus dealer on the newer Lexus in the service department you'll be pleasantly surprised to hear your older engine sound new after the Syn power service. JMHO
Old 11-08-14, 09:00 AM
mikereyes7
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 Lexus GX460 GX 460 Gas Fuel Premium Regular 87 89 91

I have not used 87 (regular) fuel in all my previous vehicles but always used 89. Now that I bought a 2013 GX 460, the "RECOMMENDED" fuel/gas is 91 (premium).

Question : Can I use 89 instead of 91 for the GX 460? Would it cause any problems if I use 89?
Old 11-08-14, 09:20 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for asking. I needed some entertainment this weekend! I'm going to sit back like you and await the comments, reasoning, quotes from the user manual, links to previous threads on the subject and finally, spirited opinions with self valuation questions aimed at you.

Thanks again! :-D=-O
Old 11-08-14, 11:33 AM
dmccombs
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

I don't think you will reach the 1.21 giga-watts required to initiate the flux-capacitor unless you buy the 91 octane.
Old 11-08-14, 12:41 PM
kerplunk38
Rookie

I personally ignore the manual completely. I use olive oil in my engine. I fill my tires with oxy acetylene. I wash the exterior with drain cleaner and steel wool. When I'm not using kerosene in my fuel tank I do tend to use 91 or 93 octane. That's just how I roll.

In case someone lacks a sense of humor I am 100% kidding aside from using 91 or 93 octane.
Old 11-08-14, 02:09 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike,

I'm not sure about the '13 models but my '14 states premium fuel is required. Needless to say, this topic has been covered in the GX forum several times to save you time:

Premium vs. Regular:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...necessary.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...necessary.html

MPG threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...y-mileage.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-your-mpg.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-real-mpg.html

Fuel Range:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...the-gx460.html

Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-14, 05:47 PM
KULEGOS
Driver School Candidate

I have my new 14' since january and I always use regular , newer have a problem: no engine knocking , no check engine and my avg mpg city 15.6 and highway 21.5 - 22 .
BTW I still love my GX after owning almost a year- newer happen before

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)