GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-14, 08:43 PM
pointman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A rich man once said, I didn't get rich by spending money. So yes, if I can save $0.20 - $0.40 cents per gallon, or $5 per tank, or $10 per week or $520 per year because I don't HAVE to spend, it then yes I will. Too many people thing only on each purchase, or a weekly or monthly cost. I think on an annual basis and some times a decade at a time.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Since I'm not racing, I think I may move down to the 89 grade and see how that treats me.
Old 05-04-14, 05:48 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using lower octane fuel than recommended makes no sense in my opinion. There are some studies I've read that say long-term use of lower octane fuel in a high compression engine even with knock sensors causes additional carbon buildup. I can find these studies later and post them if you are interested.

So, in summary you will notice a small loss in power, and probably reduced mpg in the short-term. Long-term impact is something you won't know about until it is too late.

It's your gamble but I am going to take the advice of the Lexus Engineers who designed the verbiage on that little label inside of the fuel door. I would say odds are they probably know a lot more than most of us in this forum.
Old 05-05-14, 06:06 AM
pointman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great point.
Old 05-05-14, 09:59 AM
bigsley18
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lets not forget, if you ever have any engine issues under warranty and they find out you were using a lesser octane than what Lexus recommends...Kiss that warranty good-bye.
Old 05-05-14, 10:32 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only run Shell V-Power mostly because it's the only gas without ethanol here in Canada. Regarding the fuel grades I know there are quite a bit of different views and opinions but I treat fuel costs the same as on-going cost of ownership. In my mind if I can't afford the recommended fuel grade I can't afford the car, period.
Old 05-06-14, 04:35 PM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigsley18
Lets not forget, if you ever have any engine issues under warranty and they find out you were using a lesser octane than what Lexus recommends...Kiss that warranty good-bye.
Asked my dealer the day I bought my '13 if regular was a problem.
They said specifically, "running regular is approved".
Old 05-06-14, 04:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by petiepye
Did that come from a salesman, they never lie if a mechanic could specifically relate future problems to low grade gas I think you would have to deal with a frustrating argument.
Old 05-06-14, 05:32 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

The manual and manufacturer's labels should be your guide. Dealers are marginally knowledgable at best.

Originally Posted by tecman
Did that come from a salesman, they never lie if a mechanic could specifically relate future problems to low grade gas I think you would have to deal with a frustrating argument.
Old 05-06-14, 06:02 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
The manual and manufacturer's labels should be your guide. Dealers are marginally knowledgable at best.
I agree, I don't understand why some owners are refusing and or questioning what is clearly stated to be used. Bottom line, the engineers know a lot more about what they built than we do.

I thought the beaten horse was buried but It doesn't seem so

Stay tuned, it will come up again.
Old 05-06-14, 06:04 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What dealer says is completely and utterly irrelevant. Any warranty claim will be examined/approved by a Lexus, not a dealer. If you want to test it try to get a written statement from them that any damage caused to the engine as a result of not running recommended fuel grade will be covered by this dealership for free. Let us know how it will go.

Last edited by Quadro; 05-06-14 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 06:08 PM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

The service manager told me, "no issues with running regular".
Old 05-06-14, 06:21 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

The Service Manager has no knowledge that isn't in the manual. His spoken word means absolutely nothing. Nil. Zilch.

I am not going to argue any longer about the merits of following the instructions in the manual and in the fuel door. Some of you folks insist on saving some pennies. That's your prerogative and no one is going to convince you otherwise.

Let me close with one final comment Do you believe that eating 3 Super-Size Meals per day from McDonalds is okay because it does technically provide life-sustaining sustenance? Obviously, I expect your answer will be, "No," because you are probably worried about the long-term impact of the impending heart attack and other obvious pitfalls. Your automobile needs specific sustenance, as well, or the long-term impact is questionable at best.

The service manager told me, "no issues with running regular".
Old 05-06-14, 07:08 PM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

The Service Manager has no knowledge that isn't in the manual. His spoken word means absolutely nothing. Nil. Zilch.

I am not going to argue any longer about the merits of following the instructions in the manual and in the fuel door. Some of you folks insist on saving some pennies. That's your prerogative and no one is going to convince you otherwise.

Let me close with one final comment Do you believe that eating 3 Super-Size Meals per day from McDonalds is okay because it does technically provide life-sustaining sustenance? Obviously, I expect your answer will be, "No," because you are probably worried about the long-term impact of the impending heart attack and other obvious pitfalls. Your automobile needs specific sustenance, as well, or the long-term impact is questionable at best.

I would say that a service manager's spoken word means more than your "humble opinion".
Chill out.
Old 05-06-14, 07:14 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

My facts are supported by the official Lexus User Manual. They are not an opinion of any sort. No need for me to chill out because I am not excited. My vehicle is receiving the recommended fuel.

p.s. - This is my last response on the subject. The emotional responses have begun and I don't want any part of that.

I would say that a service manager's spoken word means more than your "humble opinion".
Chill out.

Last edited by bradtopp; 05-06-14 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-06-14, 07:56 PM
petiepye
Driver School Candidate

My facts are supported by the official Lexus User Manual. They are not an opinion of any sort. No need for me to chill out because I am not excited. My vehicle is receiving the recommended fuel.

p.s. - This is my last response on the subject. The emotional responses have begun and I don't want any part of that.
The only emotional response was yours. I would call it a rant.

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)