GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New to forum and Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 03:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I use manual shift when I feel that I have the opportunity to pass or sprint through traffic at 5mph or 80mph. I am still learning when to use this and when to go back into auto mode. I do feel this gives me more power and control of my truck.I found the previous post helpful regarding this.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ion-surge.html
Old 04-27-14, 06:08 PM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great link. I'll have to play with that when we get the GX,
Old 04-28-14, 03:59 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Well. I wanted a vehicle with better handling too, but its impossible to find a vehicle that does it all: some offroading, reliability, handling, comfort, etc.....

so do what I did:

I bought the GX for the reliability and I bought the german sports car to blow away the X5: best of both worlds. :-)

Don't X5's have electrical problems still?
Frank, my 2009 BMW X5 twin turbo diesel was a total lemon. It was full of electrical problems as well as several check engine lights, battery wouldn't stay charged, was terrible in the snow. Need I say more...
Old 04-28-14, 05:01 PM
Paddyspub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm always amazed when I hear people say they think the GX has a harsh ride. I couldn't disagree more. To each their own I guess though. I've had the BMW "sporty" ride. That's another way to say HARSH. They are very different vehicles. The GX is a comfort cruiser with good looks. If someone is on the fence just drive both and see which ride style yo like best.
Old 04-29-14, 06:48 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddyspub
I'm always amazed when I hear people say they think the GX has a harsh ride. I couldn't disagree more. To each their own I guess though. I've had the BMW "sporty" ride. That's another way to say HARSH. They are very different vehicles. The GX is a comfort cruiser with good looks. If someone is on the fence just drive both and see which ride style yo like best.
its more like stiff heavy ride. when you drive over a manhole and hear that big thump as its pressing hard on the ground is the feeling im talking about...harsh ride drive the sport q50 with run flats and see, just like the bmw you mentioned.
Old 04-29-14, 09:50 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
its more like stiff heavy ride. when you drive over a manhole and hear that big thump as its pressing hard on the ground is the feeling im talking about...harsh ride drive the sport q50 with run flats and see, just like the bmw you mentioned.
Thats a better way to describe it for sure, its bouncy (truck frame) and his bumps hard as opposed to absorbing them. Its not taut like a sports car, its bouncy and clunky like a truck, which is a ride that I like.

My wife on the other hand? Not really.
Old 04-29-14, 10:48 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolrax
Thats a better way to describe it for sure, its bouncy (truck frame) and his bumps hard as opposed to absorbing them. Its not taut like a sports car, its bouncy and clunky like a truck, which is a ride that I like.

My wife on the other hand? Not really.
i love the ride and wont be going back to any cars anytime soon. i dont even feel comfortable driving
a sports sedan. just doesnt feel solid like our gx. Took a long time to getting used to it.
Old 04-29-14, 10:57 AM
Paddyspub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My previous ride and frame of reference was the LR4. Compared to that the GX rides like it's gliding on air which is to say a whole lot smoother. I tend to agree with the term "bouncy" over some bumps. But all in all a smooth steady ride for BOF truck.
Old 05-04-14, 08:41 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most reviews are worse than manufacturers own websites which claim their SUVs have uncompromised off-road capabilities... while at the same time having wheel articulation compared to a sedan. Great tow ratings yet cars end up with blown engines/transmissions just by driving themselves. Sure passing 5 miles NHTSA test is all that's required to put that tow rating on so as long as things don't blow up during the first 5 miles it's all good right? Long-term durability and reliability? What's that? We see where this philosophy leads on reliability ratings.

The GX is a completely different philosophy from the above. GX/Prado are SUVs which were actually designed and built to go and be SUVs in the real world. This is why Internet is full of GX videos punching way above it's weight. Towing 48000 pounds? No problem. Curios why don't we have so-called GX competitors (which, often, have greater tow ratings) do the same? I think Toyota puts very conservative ratings because they are concerned with more than just passing NHTSA tests or publishing inflated big numbers on their web sites. Also in places like Africa and Middle East vehicles have to work in gruesome conditions so you must have a lot of safety buffer built in and not simply state "on the edge" unsustainable numbers. Wheels articulation on the GX is insane, it's very hard to get into a situation where a wheel loses contact with the ground. Which competitors have anything even remotely comparable? But, of course, reviews don't go into that. They drive in a parking malls and draw a verdict. For a perfect mall cruiser, which GX (proudly) isn't.