Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 07:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts
Lightbulb Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns

2GX Members,

With summertime upon us, I'd like to have a single point of reference for all the tint questions that will come. If you've had your GX tinted, please upload pictures to this thread. Questions about 2GX tint will be merged here as well to consolidate Q&A

Please list:
- % tint
- color of your interior (does make a big difference in how dark tint appears)
- type of tint if you know it (smoke, dyed, metalized, ceramic, etc)
- brand of tint if you know it (3M, Solarguard, Lumaster, etc)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-13-19 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-06-13, 01:53 PM
HoneyBadge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Tint

Hello All,

Newbie here. I just traded my wife's 2006 GX for the 2013. I just had the windows tinted and wanted to hear any feedback or comments of any members that has gotten the GX tinted. My two front windows have a brownish/green to it compared to the back. Brand used was Suntek Carbon. I have 18% front and 70% rears. From the outside color looks almost the same to the back. Problem is when you are inside looking out the you can notice the color difference looking outside. I read that Lexus has the front windshield and two front glasses made of green glass. Has anyone encountered the same problem? It really drives me crazy. Tint shop says its because of the glass. They tried several other brands except 3M and all were the same. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-13, 05:59 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I hadn't noticed, but you are right ... the front windows and the windshield appear green, but the rear windows are darker and appear gray, i.e., colorless. Achieving a uniform appearance would be difficult and it probably would require different materials. In particular, as the rear windows are already a darker shade, they would need lighter additional tinting and the front windows/windshield would need darker, but how to achieve a color match?

Not to "rain on your parade" ... too late, maybe ... but the Lexus Owners Manual mentions window tinting a half dozen times and recommends against any use of window tinting. Specifically, window tinting may interfere with:

• GPS navigation,
• Electronic key operation,
• Tire pressure warning,
• Satellite radio reception,
• Automatic high beam function, and
• Visibility.

Of course, they recommend against any modification of the vehicle, which may be their way of absolving responsibility if you make any changes, but make a warranty claim. Nonetheless, the functions they mentioned are useful and add value to your vehicle. Are you sure you want to compromise their effectiveness?
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 06-08-13 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-07-13, 06:35 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The metallized type of window tints can cause all kinds of problems with electronics and wireless signals.

If you want the best tint (and have the coin), use the 3M Crystalline.

Koz
Old 06-07-13, 07:44 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tinted my front 2 windows to match the rears, no issues to date. From the inside you can see a very slight difference but it has to be pointed out to most before anybody notices.
Old 06-07-13, 08:25 AM
HoneyBadge
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I tinted my front 2 windows to match the rears, no issues to date. From the inside you can see a very slight difference but it has to be pointed out to most before anybody notices.
Do you recall what film was used?

SaniDel....the car is my wife's. I do the tints for security. She drives a lot at night and prefer that it is not clearly visible if she is alone in the car.
Old 06-07-13, 12:54 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...utomotivefilms
Old 06-07-13, 05:22 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by HoneyBadge
Do you recall what film was used?

SaniDel....the car is my wife's. I do the tints for security. She drives a lot at night and prefer that it is not clearly visible if she is alone in the car.
I pretty sure it was Llumar tint.
Old 06-07-13, 09:12 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said, sounds like you have a metallic tint, probably gold based. The only thing it'll interfere with is a radar detector. Having lived in AZ many a year and had many a car, I've been through the gamut of tints from all the major manuf.

Hands down the best brand is Huper Optik. If you live in an area where heat rejection is important, the metallic Drei tint is the best, but as mentioned it will affect radar detector performance. Also the aesthetics and durability of Huper Optik cannot be beat.

A close second in terms of performance vs the Drei is the Huper Optik ceramic tint I have on my GX. It came out light gray on front indows and much darker grey on everything else (did 35-45 can't remember). I also did the sunroof and front windshield in 78-80 (legal in CO). No radar detector issues but laser is affected a bit which happens with all tints. Then again that's what passive things like VEIL and plate overs are for.

Last edited by tazdevl; 06-07-13 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-15-13, 11:08 AM
ZackRad
Driver School Candidate

Default Added some window tint

Tinted the front and had llumar Air 80 Blue on the windshield

Old 06-15-13, 11:12 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Looks Good, Premium w/ F Sport wheels. Did you do anything with the suspension? Looks higher than stock in that picture.
Old 06-16-13, 08:47 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Very nice, it looks like it matches the back windows. What percentage of tint did you use?
Old 06-18-13, 06:25 PM
ZackRad
Driver School Candidate

I believe it's llumar 15%
Old 06-18-13, 08:38 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-22-13, 04:59 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Whoa I was considering tinting my windows and was unaware that it could affect these things! I was thinking of the 3M tint, or one of the higher end ones. Does it really mess with this stuff? I've seen other Lexus' with pretty dark windows. Does it void the warranty if you tint the windows?

Quick Reply: Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns