Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LC Prado stuff..

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-14, 11:05 AM   #16
nipponbird
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rep of South Africa
Posts: 343
Default

I checked on the net, but I cannot without doubt see if the Prado is marketed in the US. Except for the Lexus GX, is it marketed under a another guise? Here it was a cult and to a certain degree still is. In a certain sense it is a vehicle in it's own class (nowadays outsold by the cheaper Toyota Fortuner). The Prado is very, very luxurious and yet a hard core pukka off-roader, in which you can really drive through Africa.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by nipponbird; 05-02-14 at 11:09 AM..
nipponbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-14, 12:10 PM   #17
Lolrax
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: AB
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipponbird View Post
I checked on the net, but I cannot without doubt see if the Prado is marketed in the US. Except for the Lexus GX, is it marketed under a another guise? Here it was a cult and to a certain degree still is. In a certain sense it is a vehicle in it's own class (nowadays outsold by the cheaper Toyota Fortuner). The Prado is very, very luxurious and yet a hard core pukka off-roader, in which you can really drive through Africa.
No, no other form of Prado is sold here other than the GX. The 4Runner is sold here which shares a platform, but that's it.
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-14, 01:25 PM   #18
nipponbird
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rep of South Africa
Posts: 343
Default

The thing is with the Prado, its high quality, but apart from that you get off-road hardware in it that is mostly optional in a lot of vehicles that is the same price and not nearly as capable in the bush. On the downside it is not particularly roomy inside and the previous Diesel engine, namely the KZ-TE was lazy and a Diesel gussler of note. Nowadays with the D-4D engine its much better. In my mind a good buy. The Fortuner is of course a much more basic vehicle and actually an on chassis SUV of the Hilux pick-up truck (the one that Jeremy Clarkson tried to destroy on British Top Gear, but failed). It however outsells even VW and Toyota hatchbacks here. Strangely, but maybe because of the RHD it is only available in South Africa, Malaysia, Malta etc. But, yes, it sort of dented the Prado cult here. Those pics you guys have here, is surely going to make me find an excuse to pop into the dealer's to check it out if it comes in.
nipponbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 02:28 PM   #19
ShawShank
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)
 
ShawShank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Fun View Post
why we didnt get that nice information cluster like prado? i havent a clue. Maybe on 2016 gx? I could of used that locking rear diff when my gx got stuck in snow.
FYI - a locking diff will not help you get out of the snow. You need a tire with traction for locked diff to get you anywhere. If anything, a locked diff will dig you deeper.

Guys, we all have locking diffs, to an extent. The ATRAC system is a smart locker and engages when needed while in 4low, negating the need to press a button or turn on a compressor.
ShawShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 02:59 PM   #20
Eppieguy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawShank View Post
FYI - a locking diff will not help you get out of the snow. You need a tire with traction for locked diff to get you anywhere. If anything, a locked diff will dig you deeper.

Guys, we all have locking diffs, to an extent. The ATRAC system is a smart locker and engages when needed while in 4low, negating the need to press a button or turn on a compressor.
So, you're telling us a locking diff "will not help you get out of the snow"? Are you sure about that? 2 tires spinning with open diffs vs. 4 tires spinning with locked diffs will not help in the snow? Sorry, but with dealing with snow and driving many different vehicles with open diffs and locked diffs I'll take a locked diff any day over open in the snow, mud or sand. Yes, I agree a good tire will always have a lot to do with it but 4 tires pulling you out will be much better in most situations.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 06:06 PM   #21
MyGX460
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
MyGX460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Mi
Posts: 66
Default

I tried it put in the lock diff and got out of 14inches of snow like knife on butter.
__________________
Mr: 2006 BMW 750li ../ Vossen cv3../ Custom CAI system../ active Autowerk software../
Mrs: 2014 GX460 starfire pearl /black
Gone:
2001 BMW X5 3.0(217k miles)
2010 BMW x5 4.8 MSport
MyGX460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 08:22 PM   #22
iialcii
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (3)
 
iialcii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BayArea-CA
Posts: 1,916
Default

Nice thread, interesting read. Thanks for the Crash Videos, I definitely feel safer driving around my new born in the new GX. The GX was purchased as the new FAM Bam Mobile when the little one was born.
iialcii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 11:55 AM   #23
ShawShank
Rookie
Trader Score: (1)
 
ShawShank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppieguy View Post
So, you're telling us a locking diff "will not help you get out of the snow"? Are you sure about that? 2 tires spinning with open diffs vs. 4 tires spinning with locked diffs will not help in the snow? Sorry, but with dealing with snow and driving many different vehicles with open diffs and locked diffs I'll take a locked diff any day over open in the snow, mud or sand. Yes, I agree a good tire will always have a lot to do with it but 4 tires pulling you out will be much better in most situations.
Yes, I'm sure about that. I'd rather not get into a debate, I was simply offering up some advice, we can agree to disagree. Our trucks are full time 4wd. At no point will you have just 2 wheels getting power to them. Open diffs on a full time 4wd vehicle allow the majority of power to be distributed to the wheels with the least amount of traction - this is done to prevent wheel spin. Locked front and rear diffs will make each wheel turn at the same rate, regardless of traction. If you are in a snow drift where all 4 wheels are missing traction, locked diffs will only make your problem worse.
ShawShank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 12:13 PM   #24
Eppieguy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawShank View Post
Yes, I'm sure about that. I'd rather not get into a debate, I was simply offering up some advice, we can agree to disagree. Our trucks are full time 4wd. At no point will you have just 2 wheels getting power to them. Open diffs on a full time 4wd vehicle allow the majority of power to be distributed to the wheels with the least amount of traction - this is done to prevent wheel spin. Locked front and rear diffs will make each wheel turn at the same rate, regardless of traction. If you are in a snow drift where all 4 wheels are missing traction, locked diffs will only make your problem worse.
Ok, I agree, to disagree.

That's what it's all about, we in America can have different Ideas and be able to voice them.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 12:58 PM   #25
Quadro
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ON
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawShank View Post
Open diffs on a full time 4wd vehicle allow the majority of power to be distributed to the wheels with the least amount of traction - this is done to prevent wheel spin.
I know you mentioned you do not want to get into the debate but the above statement is incorrect when applied to the GX with TORSEN T3 center differential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawShank View Post
Locked front and rear diffs will make each wheel turn at the same rate, regardless of traction. If you are in a snow drift where all 4 wheels are missing traction, locked diffs will only make your problem worse.
Not trying to nitpick here but for all wheels to turn at the same rate you need three differentials locked -- rear, front and center. Just locking front and rear diffs won't result in each wheel turning at the same rate because the center will remain open.
Quadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-14, 12:58 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2014, 2016, 460, box, console, cool, front, gx, imagenes, lc, luxury, prado, review, toyota

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ok, this is the craziest LC prado video T4Fun GX - Second Generation 1 04-05-14 09:40 AM
cool videos of PRADO in australia T4Fun GX - Second Generation 3 08-30-13 08:59 AM
Steep hill balance dime06 LX570 0 11-26-12 01:32 AM
Toyota Prado 3 Door Version mann777 GX - First Generation 7 11-05-09 06:00 PM
2010 prado (next gx?) Tengbt GX - Second Generation 144 09-21-09 05:49 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info