GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lexus gx-460 odor

Old 03-31-14, 03:16 PM
rcardozon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lexus gx-460 odor

I own a 2010 gx-460 premium , often when i accelerate top mi lexus throws a bad smell (rotten eggs ) there is no oficcial lexus dealership in my country does anyone had the same problem or knows what can be the trouble
Old 03-31-14, 03:20 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

exhaust system issue likely. get under the suv and see if there is any rusted components
Old 03-31-14, 04:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

From Toyotanation.com

On some vehicles, a sulfur smell or 'rotten egg' odor may be noticed coming from the exhaust system. The odor
is usually noticed after a cold start, fast idle, extended periods of idling and full throttle acceleration. Sulfur smell
is not an indication of an engine concern and will not cause reduced driveability or durability of the engine or
any of its emission components.
The sulfur smell or 'rotten egg' odor is caused by high amounts of sulfur in the gasoline being used in the vehicle.
Sulfur is normally eliminated during the refining process, but the EPA regulation of sulfur in gasoline differs
from state to state. Vehicles using fuel containing high amounts of sulfur will most likely emit sulfur smell from
the exhaust system.
When high sulfur fuel is burned, there is a chemical reaction in the catalytic converter causing the sulfur to oxidize.
As the vehicle is driven, the oxidizing reaction odor in the converter will decrease with mileage and age.

Replacing the catalytic converter will not eliminate sulfur smell and replacement will just extend the
period of time needed for the converter to 'age' allowing it to reduce sulfur smell to an acceptable
level.
Switch to a different brand of fuel and drive the vehicle for at least 100 miles. Monitor the decrease or
increase in sulfur smell.
Do not add any type of 'fuel additive' as this could add sulfur to the fuel and cause/increase the odor.
Try to avoid extended periods of short trip driving or aggressive acceleration.
Request information from your local fuel dealers on the amounts of sulfur in their gasoline. Try to use fuel
containing the lowest amounts of sulfur.
Visit the EPA and gasoline company websites to stay informed on any changes in fuel or environmental regulations.
A website to check is: EPA

and this

Strong sulfur smell means that you are running a rich air/fuel ratio. Sometimes this is normal especially during warmup. If your engine is warm already, this is not normal and fuel pressure or sensors should be checked.
Old 03-31-14, 05:54 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Typical Toyota catalytic converter smell. Every Toyota I have ever owned has it
Old 04-01-14, 03:14 PM
JDSTL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you drive it really gently? I've heard before that people that don't floor it occasionally get that smell. Something with the converter not getting as hot. Who knows if it is true but I've never had that smell on any of my vehicles and I like to pour the coals to it on occasion.