GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

OEM brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 04:23 PM
MDIRADS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM brakes

OK, having just gone through a long winter, I've concluded that OEM brake pads are not good enough for this size vehicle. Stopping on dry pavement is fine, but when the roads are slippery these trucks do not want to stop. We were using the original all season tires so next winter I intend to purchase dedicated snow tires. But I would like to know if any of the forum members have upgraded to aftermarket brake pads/rotors?

What brand of pads are popular for this vehicle? Is it necessary to upgrade rotors as well? Front and rear upgrades or front only? Is changing pads a DIY job or have dealer to it? I have experience with changing brake pads on my Audi S4 for which I purchased an aftermarket BBK, but those kits are designed for easy pad changes. Is it difficult to change pads within the OEM Lexus calipers?

thanks for any input
Old 03-23-14, 04:52 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure I'm following your logic? Why do you think pads have anything to do with stopping on a slippery surface?
Old 03-23-14, 05:25 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I am an aggressive start/stop driver and went with slotted rotors with premium pads on my last vehicles. I expect I will do the same with my GX, I used Tirerack.com for my last brakes and plan to use them again. I supplied them to a shop to be installed.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...1&autoModClar=

I also wonder why you are relating dry/wet braking to be the problem? Tires would seem to be the reason.
Old 03-23-14, 06:10 PM
MDIRADS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quadro
I am not sure I'm following your logic? Why do you think pads have anything to do with stopping on a slippery surface?
I agree pads have nothing to do with slippery surface traction, but there are pad materials that provide increased friction and therefore shorter stopping distance. I was only commenting on the vehicle mass and distance needed to stop, even on dry pavement. I tossed it into this discussion to see what others have done in this regard.

thanks
Old 03-23-14, 06:57 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

these hawks are the best supposedly brake pads for a suv.
in my experience though, if they are like other hawks, they need to be warmed up first, so dont stop well on 1st stop.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...1&autoModClar=
Old 03-24-14, 03:42 AM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had someone cut in front of me Saturday and had to make a hard stop. I was only doing 25 mph or so but the brakes grabbed and stopped in a real hurry. What really surprised me is that it shut off the stereo! Never had that happen before, but I have never slammed on the brakes before - maybe it is a panic feature when ABS is activated. It was dry and I have new Michelin LTX's.
Old 03-24-14, 05:20 AM
shane4x4
Driver School Candidate

We tow a trailer on occasion & so far the pads seem to work OK on dry pavement. I'll likely upgrade them when I change them out, but OEM seems sufficient.
Old 03-24-14, 06:37 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Koz upgraded his rotors and pads, look back for his tire post and he has pictures and information. He tows a trailer so he wanted better stopping power.
Old 03-29-14, 09:01 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I am upgrading my rotors and pads to improve the braking with EBC GD Sports rotors and Hawks PC brake pads. I ordered them last week, when I install them I'll let you know if they were worth the money.
Old 03-29-14, 04:55 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I am upgrading my rotors and pads to improve the braking with EBC GD Sports rotors and Hawks PC brake pads. I ordered them last week, when I install them I'll let you know if they were worth the money.
why didnt you get the hawk SD pads in link i provided above? they are for suvs and trucks?
where did you order from? tirerack?
Old 03-29-14, 08:49 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I looked at them but to me they seem more for heavy duty trucks that do towing or heavy braking, I do mostly highway braking and suburban driving. The ceramic pads looked more for my kind of driving. I got them from autoplicity.com, they have fair pricing and had both the rotors and pads I wanted. The only thing I don't like is that they are shipped from the manufacturer and they are taking longer than what I anticipated. I am going to paint the calipers when I do the brakes too, the calipers look kind of white, I'll post pictures!