Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Brake problem on 2014 GX

Old 03-14-14, 07:10 PM   #1
alder8
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Question Brake problem on 2014 GX

Hi everyone,
Had my 2014 GX for about 4 months now and so far, I like it. The only problem I had was when I was braking very hard in an emergency situation (freeway driving at 60mph - traffic ahead of me stopped dead suddenly) - brakes behaved very strangely - it felt like the car was nose diving when i was braking and then brakes were released and I had to press again. I thought it was ABS ( it's supposed to kick in when hard braking), but it felt very strange and almost like brakes were malfunctioning. Same thing happened recently when i was driving on the street at about 30 mph.
Will bring it to the dealer soon, but wanted to get other owners' input. In short, in hard braking it feels like the car slows down, but then starts stopping and going forward again and again. I used to drive Acura MDX before that and had similar situations, but it never behaved like this. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by alder8; 03-14-14 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: typo
alder8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 11:44 PM   #2
Lolrax
Pole Position

Yeah it's a new Toyota/Lexus thing. It grabs extra extra hard and lurches, it's some sort of brake assist thing. Apparently it is quite effective at adding additional pressure in potential emergency situations, but it is startling. Nothing abnormal there, I had it on my GX and my 4Runner,
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 01:35 AM   #3
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver

if you slam on the brake, then yes, it will provide extra force and stop rather violently, but it shouldnt let go of the brake where you have to press it again. Ive had it happen several times and the suv stops. Its frightening when you first encounter it. EBD has been around for awhile. Its on our 2005 g35x.

Are you sure you didnt just let go of brake because you were startled by the reaction?

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 06:09 AM   #4
Eppieguy
Lead Lap

Yup, sounds normal, mine does the same thing, kinda feels out of control but yet it stops real well for its size and weight.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 07:50 AM   #5
MyGX460
Rookie

Remember stoping the tall large luv is harder then the car.
MyGX460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 08:57 AM   #6
Randy B
Pole Position

You should see what happens the first time the PCS is engaged. Freaked me out with the with the chimes and the word Brake in huge letters in the display on the dash. Glad I know what it looks like.

Randy B
Old 03-15-14, 09:54 AM   #7
alder8
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the input. I definitely feel better now. Sounds like I'm just not used to this type of emergency breaking system. Thanks again!!!
alder8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 05:53 PM   #8
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
You should see what happens the first time the PCS is engaged. Freaked me out with the with the chimes and the word Brake in huge letters in the display on the dash. Glad I know what it looks like.

Randy B
so how exactly does that work. it detects in front of you and warns you to stop? Does it apply some brake pressure? Will be getting this on my gx

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 02:04 PM   #9
timmer
Driver School Candidate

I was just getting ready to take my 2014 GX460 back to the dealer for the same problem Alder8 is talking about. When vehicle is going 60 to 70 and in our wonderful Atlanta traffic you have to brake quickly for standstill traffic ahead, not jamming on the brakes, it has the feeling of very uneven braking. You would think with the ABS it would be a smooth braking motion to stop the vehicle. I took it to the dealer a week ago and they said it was the front rotors that needed to be redone. Didn't seem to help. I keep thinking it has something to do with stopping a vehicle with continuous four wheel drive. It is odd because our RX-450 doesn't have the same problems.
timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-14, 02:04 PM

Tags
2014, es350brakeproblem, lexus