GX vs. MDX

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 03:10 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kealonnix
"Customer service is a dealer problem not a BRAND problem... Thoughts?"

Well, I believe that I got pretty crappy customer service from both Acura corporate and the dealership that I purchased the car at. I really believe that it is a culture thing and should be preached from the top down.

Acura Client Relations called me back the Monday after we bought the GX. They wanted to know if I followed through with the trade (probably thinking that one of their small problems went away). The guy said, "we really do regret that you did not give us the opportunity to fix the vehicle". At that point I released all of the anger that I had been holding inside. I'm really just glad to be done with Acura.

I have a question for everyone. How would Lexus have handled the situation that I had with my Acura? Tell me something good.......
The same way Acura did. You were not patient enough to follow the process by which these things are resolved. Both Acura and Lexus would have put you in loaners while it was being repaired, and you would have to go to the dealer every time it failed. You put them on notice via the Lemon Law process, and wait. If it is fixed, neither of you have anymore issues, if it isn't, the manufacturer buys the vehicle back. In my experience, Acura and Lexus will offer to trade the vehicle on a new one before the hearing for the same value that it would cost them in buyback from a hearing. That will not happen until the hearing date is set and they have no more negotiation with you. They would rather attempt to make you happy at that point than have a buyback mark on the brand.

Florida Lemon laws are pretty strong and if you follow the process, the manufacturer does not have much, if any wiggle room to not buy it back. You choose to not deal with anymore issues and not follow the process for your own reasons, thus you took the hit financially.

PS: Just now seeing you are listing your location as GA now. On the Acura board it was listed as FL. I do not have any experience with GA's Lemon law, and cannot speak to its process.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 03-13-14 at 03:14 AM.
Old 03-14-14, 06:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

kealonnix

I think you have owned your GX for a week or so, please update your experience with GX vs. MDX. What is different with the ride quality and the technology differences along with any other good or bad. I was excited about the 2 touch screens with MDX and would think that the GX would be a poor competitor with the MDX regarding interface technology advancement. Beyond that Lexus is a class above Acura (especially off road) so here I am with a Lexus.
Old 03-14-14, 08:47 PM
kealonnix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are loving the GX. Most of the functionality is there with the GX that we had on the MDX. The small things that we have noticed: MDX changed the clock for daylight savings, my wife prefers the blind spot monitor on the MDX better, better climate controls for rear seat in the GX, rear heated seats in the GX (we did not have on our MDX), my wife like the accent lighting in the GX at night time.

The ride is harder to compare. I really don't feel like they are in the same class. The MDX drove more like a sports car. Very responsive and smooth ride. We are definitely sitting higher in the GX and you can tell that it is a BOF vehicle. However, the ride is just as smooth in my opinion. I would say the the GX feels more rigid.

I wouldn't have thought twice about taking sharp curves at higher speeds in the MDX and obviously you wouldn't really want to do that in the GX. It wasn't designed to do that.

I know that I could have stuck it out with the MDX and probably gotten the car replaced or purchased back. However, I felt like it was a safety risk to my family (you might interpret it differently). I was just hoping that Acura would been quicker to respond to a safety concern.

I had a friend tell me that he had a braking problem with a GS Lexus. Took it to the dealership 3 times and it still wasn't resolved. Lexus replaced the car without him pressing the issue and no lemon law proceedings. And he absolutely loves the 2nd car with no problems. That is what I'm hoping for with Lexus, a company willing to do the right thing without going through legal proceedings.

I lost a bunch of money trading in the MDX, but I am SO glad I did. I feel like it was a good move for my family!