GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX460 - Exploding Trunk Window...Advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 05:23 PM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
I'd love to see this video.

Randy B
If Lexus does not make this right for my mother, I will be virally sharing this video with everybody.

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
Also after 6 months and plenty of vacuuming during that timeframe, I still find bits of broken glass from where my FJ's window was shattered. Maybe the BB or whatever struck the vehicle window in your case is still somewhere hidden in the vehicle.
Originally Posted by Craig B
Could have been shot out by a pellet gun, or BB gun. I can't see the window breaking on it's own...
I understand that a BB pellet could be a possibility, like winning the lottery could be a possibility, but that is truly not the case here. The chances of it being a lone gunman in a business parking lot surrounded by a huge gated factory, cars like the 2014 Stingray and 2014 S550, CCTV, and only 2 ways to get in and out, both monitored by CCTV...does it sound like a legitimate reason to you? A lone gunman?

A Google search shows that windows can explode at any time for various reasons, such as drastic temperature changes. This issue is not as uncommon as I thought. I have yet to read one case about a BB blowing out a window. The difference between my case and theirs is that mine was caught on CCTV surrounded by many witnesses.
Old 03-06-14, 05:28 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

So I dare to ask this without seeing the video, however was the glass outside the vehicle or inside the vehicle?

Does the video show the glass breaking and or the explosion?

Randy B
Old 03-06-14, 05:35 PM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Randy B
So I dare to ask this without seeing the video, however was the glass outside the vehicle or inside the vehicle?

Does the video show the glass breaking and or the explosion?

Randy B
The video shows the glass coming outwards. I would say 70-80% of glass was scattered all over the floor.

The video does show the glass exploding spontaneously.

I'm not a physics expert or anything but if it was an object causing the damage, wouldn't the glass be flying inwards? (not sure if that is a word but yea..)
Old 03-06-14, 06:03 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Quote,Also, the car was parked in a private business parking lot surrounded by our professional and friendly neighbors and a huge factory-like building behind it so the idea of somebody targeting my mothers car, who is the kindest soul on the planet, seems implausible.

So the factory like building behind is not a possible option for a shooter? Just looking for possibility's.
Glass breakage having a distinct pattern would only show up with an overall force(explosion) pushing it to go in one direction, not by a small object that would cause it to gravitate.
Old 03-06-14, 07:00 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The electric defroster for the rear window may have malfunctioned, overheating the glass until it shattered from thermal stress.
Old 03-06-14, 07:37 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
The electric defroster for the rear window may have malfunctioned, overheating the glass until it shattered from thermal stress.
Not to hijack the thread, but we haven't heard from you SaniDel in a long time :-)
Old 03-06-14, 08:08 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I have also heard of rear windows of cars shattering from the heat. I did a search on clublexus but couldn't find anything. I swear there was a thread on here somewhere.
Old 03-07-14, 06:26 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It usually happens if there is a small crack or chip in the glass and then there is a heat issue which will shatter the glass. I have seen this happen a few times and it's never been a dealer issue in my experiance. The best thing you can do is call your insurance company and put in a claim and forget about it. If it happens again maybe I'd be a little more concerned.

Just my .02
Old 03-07-14, 07:10 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Kudos to Eppieguy ... the voice of reason! Broken window glass is an insurance issue, not a dealer issue. File a claim, pay your (or your parents') deductible and replace the rear window.
Old 03-07-14, 07:25 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Found it, here's the thread I was talking about. A lot of people on the LS forum have the same thoughts as here. As SaniDel said, go through insurance. In the case in the link, Lexus actually paid the guy's insurance deductible for him, maybe they will do the same for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ess-crack.html

Here's another one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...shattered.html

Hmm, doing a search I came up with another. Maybe this is more common than you think.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/84...-window-2.html

Last edited by patgilm; 03-07-14 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 08:52 AM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Kudos to Eppieguy ... the voice of reason! Broken window glass is an insurance issue, not a dealer issue. File a claim, pay your (or your parents') deductible and replace the rear window.
Originally Posted by patgilm
Found it, here's the thread I was talking about. A lot of people on the LS forum have the same thoughts as here. As SaniDel said, go through insurance. In the case in the link, Lexus actually paid the guy's insurance deductible for him, maybe they will do the same for you.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ess-crack.html

Here's another one:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/flo...shattered.html

Hmm, doing a search I came up with another. Maybe this is more common than you think.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/84...-window-2.html
Thank you for all the advice everybody.

We had already planned to go through insurance if Lexus denied the cost of repairs, and it looks like we are going to through with it.

It just feels wrong that Lexus would deny any responsibility for what I believe is a defect in the glass. I have read threads where peoples sunroofs would explode and Lexus would cover the damages even without proof, I guess they were the lucky ones.

Does anybody know a video sharing website where I can upload an AVI file?
Old 03-08-14, 08:45 AM
dannytx
Driver School Candidate

One suggestion I would make… Talk to your insurance carrier, and ask if they can cover it, and subrogate against Lexus if it is a known defect. They may even be able to recover your deductible.

You also may check your insurance policy for glass-only coverage. Depending on your insurance carrier, you may be surprised to find out how much they can do for you. Varies greatly from company to company.
Old 03-12-14, 02:00 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, file a complaint/case with NHTSA??
Old 03-13-14, 10:45 AM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Here is the video of the window exploding.

I tried to embed the video but I'm doing it wrong or this forum doesn't allow you to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZo...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-13-14, 10:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by danlnyc
Here is the video of the window exploding.

I tried to embed the video but I'm doing it wrong or this forum doesn't allow you to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbZo...ature=youtu.be
That is crazy.

Quick Reply: 2014 GX460 - Exploding Trunk Window...Advice please!!