GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi vs Base GX

Old 03-02-14, 10:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,800 Posts

The Durango certainly has an available 2 speed transfer case. Full time 4WD. Not a great off-roadvehicle, it's big and has a low front, but to haul family and pull a boat, sure. The Durango is unibody but it is not a crossover.

Reliability is a concern I agree.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-02-14 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-07-14, 04:20 AM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the Durango but am not that partial to Chrysler products after seeing so many problems with my JK. I had two trouble-free TJs before that, and then the JK came along. Balljoint failures in city driving, CELs with no explanation, bumpers that would cave in or perforate just by resting your foot on them, and the gearshift popping out of gear randomly during acceleration (sounded like a shotgun blast in your ear). I thought that was bad, until I moved on to my Audi S4, which was high drama.

I wouldn't go with a loaded Dodge or Chrysler product - too much going on in modern cars to trust anything but the Japanese. IF this was the 90's or early 2000's different story.
Old 05-16-14, 11:19 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found some cool pics.

Lexus GX 460 wheel flex. Very impressive and almost unheard of in the Luxury vehicles segment. Make no mistake, a lot of smart and deliberate engineering went into archiving this result.

Here is Durango (looks like just driving it in the snow will be enough to exhaust all it's wheel travel... what Dodge was actually thinking?):

And before you think large vehicles can't have good articulation look at the Toyota Land Cruiser 200 (and we know LX570 has comparable wheel travel as well):

Old 05-16-14, 11:22 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypersion
In my research the V-8 Dodge/Chrysler's have a lot of problems.
thats not entirely true. the dodge charger srt8 is very reliable and trouble free and the build quality is excellent. i cant say the same about their suvs...i am borrowing one from my friend and he has never had an issue.
scan this forum if you dont believe me. see if there are any major issues. i couldnt see any at all..

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...esc&sort=views

if anyone here has had a charger SRT8, fess up, or forever hold your peace.

i would buy the cherokee SRT but i dont like the way the side looks in the rear wheel well area and the back. The front is very nice and the led lighting

Last edited by T4Fun; 05-16-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 11:39 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
Last Fall I bought my wife a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and was pleasantly surprised at how much you get for the price point. I can't speak for the Durango SUV, but can speak for the technology since they share the same safety features and Uconnect system. Simply put, the Uconnect system will blow the Lexus enform system COMPLETELY out the water!
amen to that!
the computer system on the SRT is like the corvette and GTR. Lexus is way behind as usual.
Old 05-16-14, 11:41 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grand Cherokee SRT8 has way too many ridiculous issues for the vehicle of it's price category
Old 05-16-14, 08:45 PM
dstock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SRT8 Chrysler 300. No issues and had it every one of the 125,000 miles on it. Stock spark plugs, oil changes twice a year, brakes changed once.

Wheel speed sensors have needing replacement but that's 5minutes (not even need a jack) and $30$/40.
Old 05-16-14, 08:49 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by dstock
I have a SRT8 Chrysler 300. No issues and had it every one of the 125,000 miles on it. Stock spark plugs, oil changes twice a year, brakes changed once.

Wheel speed sensors have needing replacement but that's 5minutes (not even need a jack) and $30$/40.
thanks for vouching for that statement. i plan on buying a 2014 srt8 maybe later this year. dont like the new one. looks like a big dart.
Old 05-18-14, 11:04 AM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Durango. Significant price difference and cargo capacity were the deciding factors. The Hemi is fast, powerful, and smooth.
Old 05-18-14, 05:35 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

GX articulation
Attached Thumbnails Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi vs Base GX-image.jpg  
Old 05-18-14, 06:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-thread-2.html
Old 05-19-14, 07:26 AM
dstock
Driver School Candidate

I do plan on replacing my SRT8 with another one whenever it dies, if that speaks anything to my satisfaction with the reliability.

I will say I looked very hard at the new Cherokee SRT8 but I heard some horror stories on it shutting down on the highway. This will be the wife's car with a new baby so I couldn't risk that. I drove a new 4runner a couple times and really liked the drive but needed more power and wanted some luxury too...therefore the GX.
Old 05-19-14, 10:00 AM
Hypersion
10th Gear

Originally Posted by T4Fun
thats not entirely true. the dodge charger srt8 is very reliable and trouble free and the build quality is excellent. i cant say the same about their suvs...i am borrowing one from my friend and he has never had an issue.
scan this forum if you dont believe me. see if there are any major issues. i couldnt see any at all..

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...esc&sort=views

if anyone here has had a charger SRT8, fess up, or forever hold your peace.

i would buy the cherokee SRT but i dont like the way the side looks in the rear wheel well area and the back. The front is very nice and the led lighting
CR rates the V-8 300 and V-8 Jeep GC as below average in reliability.
Old 05-20-14, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,496 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Based on my experience in Jeep forums, thats not because of the V8 specifically...its other issues. The engines themselves seem quite reliable. Other stuff...not as much. Lots of electrical problems.
Old 05-20-14, 07:05 PM
T4Fun
Racer

how bout the srt8 charger. show me one negative report on quality or reliability.

open your eyes folks, lexus is behind and not all that....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi vs Base GX