GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi vs Base GX

Old 02-27-14, 10:57 AM
jrbyrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi vs Base GX

I have a 09 GX which I may replace soon. I wondered if any one compared a dressed up Durango with a base GX. The price is similar. Both have two speed transfer case Both tow well. Durango has more cargo space Durango is faster. Citadel has more fancy stuff. Lexus is more reliable. Lexus has better resale value. Durango rated higher by CR.
Thanks
Old 02-27-14, 11:19 AM
Hypersion
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my research the V-8 Dodge/Chrysler's have a lot of problems.
Old 02-27-14, 11:22 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a big fan of dodge products. We have a fleet of them where I work. Although the ones at my job are diesel, many of them start encountering issues at 30,000 miles. Most of the time our in-house fleet maintenance can't figure out those issues and they will ship them back to the manufacturer for more extensive repairs.

I guess it all depends on what you really want. A nice, reliable, proven vehicle which is somewhat slower and doesn't have too much cargo room, or a dodge product which will most likely have issues within the first 3 years of ownership.
Old 02-27-14, 11:33 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbyrn
I have a 09 GX which I may replace soon. I wondered if any one compared a dressed up Durango with a base GX. The price is similar. Both have two speed transfer case Both tow well. Durango has more cargo space Durango is faster. Citadel has more fancy stuff. Lexus is more reliable. Lexus has better resale value. Durango rated higher by CR.
Thanks
Last Fall I bought my wife a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and was pleasantly surprised at how much you get for the price point. I can't speak for the Durango SUV, but can speak for the technology since they share the same safety features and Uconnect system. Simply put, the Uconnect system will blow the Lexus enform system COMPLETELY out the water!
Old 02-27-14, 11:40 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
I guess it all depends on what you really want. A nice, reliable, proven vehicle which is somewhat slower and doesn't have too much cargo room, or a dodge product which will most likely have issues within the first 3 years of ownership.
I have a14 JGC Summit and 14 GX parked in my garage...........Historically Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge products have not been reliable but the same can be said about German vehicles. However, I've owned 6 German vehicles and never experienced one breakdown....only visited the dealership for regular maintenance. Rare I know but it happens.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 02-27-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-27-14, 03:26 PM
Paddyspub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
I have a14 JGC Summit and 14 GX parked in my garage...........Historically Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge products have not been reliable but the same can be said about German vehicles. However, I've owned 6 German vehicles and never experienced one breakdown....only visited the dealership for regular maintenance. Rare I know but it happens.
I compared the GC Summit with the GX. I completely agree it is a fantastic vehicle. The options that come with the Summit are comparable to the GX Luxury with options. For me it came down to size, completely different level of service, and resale value of Lexus.
Old 02-27-14, 08:11 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the GC SRT looks much better than a GX, however, it has too many problems and very unreliable and its not BOF
Old 02-27-14, 08:20 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

don't forget the GX has a longer base warranty.
Old 02-27-14, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

The Jeep is a great vehicle in a lot of ways, our 2011 has 44k miles on it now. We like it very much, its a great vehicle to drive, very capable, great looking, well built. The Durango is basically the same vehicle, although I don't like the interior as much.

HOWEVER

Coming from many years of owning Lexus/Toyota products, reliability and dealer support have been a little bit of a shock. We've had a lot of little warranty issues with our Jeep, switches that quit working...repeatedly...brake materials are very low quality, steering rack leaking. All in all...27 warranty issues in the first 2 years. Thats a lot...even though they were all mostly minor. Dealers have no loaners, and its a no-frills experience.

Its a very nice vehicle, and we like it a lot even with the issues...but keep that in mind before making this decision.
Old 02-28-14, 08:40 AM
JDSTL
Rookie

We got rid of a 2011 Limited GC for the GX. You get a lot at the Jeep/Dodge price point but the resale on that Durango is going to be significantly lower if that matters to you. If you plan on keeping it for 10+ years that may not matter.

Chrysler didn't fix the blend door issue that's been a problem on GCs for 10 years so that could be a concern on the Durango as well. It soured me on Chrysler quality.
Old 02-28-14, 09:00 AM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDSTL
We got rid of a 2011 Limited GC for the GX. You get a lot at the Jeep/Dodge price point but the resale on that Durango is going to be significantly lower if that matters to you. If you plan on keeping it for 10+ years that may not matter.

Chrysler didn't fix the blend door issue that's been a problem on GCs for 10 years so that could be a concern on the Durango as well. It soured me on Chrysler quality.
What exactly is this?

UPDATE

Just looked it up and the blend door issue may have been corrected with the 14s. Either way, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited by GX4704ME; 02-28-14 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-28-14, 11:18 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
What exactly is this?

UPDATE

Just looked it up and the blend door issue may have been corrected with the 14s. Either way, thanks for the heads up.
It's a electronically controlled flap inside the HVAC ducts in the vehicle which either directs air flow of the heat and AC.
Old 02-28-14, 12:10 PM
JDSTL
Rookie

It happens on the Jeeps with dual zone climate control. The driver control still worked normally but the passenger side and rear vents blew the same as the outside air temp. Unacceptable that this has happened for multiple years, I hope they have fixed the problem.
Old 03-01-14, 04:35 PM
MyGX460
Rookie

I don't worry about witch one is faster then another when it come to 6000bls rolling down the Hiway ....
Id take the lex and x5 over any SUV/sav out there.
Old 03-02-14, 08:18 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jrbyrn
Thanks
1. Durango does not have two speed transfer case (am I missing something?)
2. Durango is part-time vs GX full-time - big difference in inclement weather handling
3. Durango does not have Torsen differential (combined with #2 it's worlds behind GX)
4. Chrysler vehicles break down just from driving themselves, I would personally not feel very comfortable with their tow ratings (not me speaking, statistics)
5. Durango has no track record in third world countries where SUVs are used the way they meant to be (read: more than just fetching groceries while driving on paved roads while pretending to look tough). Can it stand up to the abuse?
6. Durango has no real world results to back up any of it's SUV claims (did it win any rally or finished in one piece?)
7. Durango is a unibody crossover vs GX proper body-on-frame truck
8. Can you even find an RTI ramp score for Durango?
9. While Chrysler tests their SUVs durability by driving them on stairs (what a joke) Toyota trucks win Dakar every year. Which one do you think is a better durability/reliability/capability test?

None of the above might matter much to you. However me - I like driving something more substantial than paper weight SUVs.

Last edited by Quadro; 03-02-14 at 08:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dodge Durango Citadel Hemi vs Base GX