GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Nav Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-14, 03:28 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Question

I have not been able to find in the manuals if there is a way to enter an intersection as a destination. Leaving for the beach house next week and none of the suggested routes takes me in a newly opened section of highway that was widened and would save a lot of time. If I could put in the intersection of I-40 and NC 311 it would take me to that point and then once I turned onto 311 it would recalculate a new route. My Google Maps, Apple Maps and old Garmin (updated maps) all take me that way. If I could enter it into eDestination on the computer and then send to the truck it would be the best possible scenario. I know I could use my phone but that seems like blasphemy when I paid so much extra for the Nav package. Mine is a 2013. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-13-14, 03:52 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

If you have Lexus enform, they can send it to your vehicle, it's free for the first year.
Old 02-13-14, 05:27 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Craig B
If you have Lexus enform, they can send it to your vehicle, it's free for the first year.
I got a 1 year trial. I had not thought of that , thanks.
Old 02-14-14, 04:38 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

[QUOTE=Herd72;8379390]I have not been able to find in the manuals if there is a way to enter an intersection as a destination.

Am I missing something as we both have the same Nav software? I use intersection search often with, destination and then choose more and I have the intersection icon.
Old 02-14-14, 05:33 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

[QUOTE=tecman;8381216]
Originally Posted by Herd72
I have not been able to find in the manuals if there is a way to enter an intersection as a destination.

Am I missing something as we both have the same Nav software? I use intersection search often with, destination and then choose more and I have the intersection icon.
I hate to admit it . . . but I did not "navigate" to the second page of the destination screen so I could not find what was in the manual on my truck. To compound my tech ignorance I kept trying to do it from edestination on the computer screen with the Lexus Drivers website. I think I understand now but I feel so stupid! So if I read your comment right, you put in your main destination first then add the intersections or freeway exits necessary to establish the route that you want to take? Then you must need to reorder the various destinations so the intersections are like way points. Is that the way it's done? There is a recently widened corridor that saves a lot of time I want to get in there, plus I want to add in a picnic area where we stop for a break and a quick snack each time we go. I could most likely find the route without the nav but I want to store it in the GX since my son may drive it down a couple of days after we go in the Benz and he wants to go the same way. Thanks for your patience with me, I am just befuddled by this Nav system. I did not have it on my older vehicles and could never figure it out on my Sequoia either so I ended up using a Garmin when I had nav in the Sequoia! I am determined to learn this one and put it to use. You are making that a lot easier for this old retired guy in his first Lexus!
Old 02-14-14, 05:55 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Checkout the manual.

[QUOTE=Herd72;8381296]
Originally Posted by tecman

I hate to admit it . . . but I did not "navigate" to the second page of the destination screen so I could not find what was in the manual on my truck. To compound my tech ignorance I kept trying to do it from edestination on the computer screen with the Lexus Drivers website. I think I understand now but I feel so stupid! So if I read your comment right, you put in your main destination first then add the intersections or freeway exits necessary to establish the route that you want to take? Then you must need to reorder the various destinations so the intersections are like way points. Is that the way it's done? There is a recently widened corridor that saves a lot of time I want to get in there, plus I want to add in a picnic area where we stop for a break and a quick snack each time we go. I could most likely find the route without the nav but I want to store it in the GX since my son may drive it down a couple of days after we go in the Benz and he wants to go the same way. Thanks for your patience with me, I am just befuddled by this Nav system. I did not have it on my older vehicles and could never figure it out on my Sequoia either so I ended up using a Garmin when I had nav in the Sequoia! I am determined to learn this one and put it to use. You are making that a lot easier for this old retired guy in his first Lexus!
Take a look at page 123 in the Navigation manual. That page starts to explain how to add a destination after a destination has been added (effectively a way point). Also make sure you have your route preferences updated. It's a couple pages of down from 123.

Randy B
Old 02-14-14, 06:53 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Thanks, I will spend some "Driveway time" on this tomorrow (can't get nav signal in garage). Unless we get the 4-6 inches of snow predicted. If so, will wait until it melts. Just washed and quick detailed the truck...
Old 02-17-14, 03:15 AM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

When does Lexus typically update map versions. I have a 2011 GX running v10.1. On a 800 mile trip this weekend I noticed many new roads and restaraunts that were not on my screen. Most likely needs updated, but do not want to update if anew version is coming out within 6 months or so.
Old 02-17-14, 05:37 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpSpurs
When does Lexus typically update map versions. I have a 2011 GX running v10.1. On a 800 mile trip this weekend I noticed many new roads and restaraunts that were not on my screen. Most likely needs updated, but do not want to update if anew version is coming out within 6 months or so.
Best to check Lexus.com and look for the nav update link on the front page. It will tell you what is available and when.

Randy B