Overlanding bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 07:07 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KVA
OK...who's gonna do the snorkle mod first...lol

Cool bumper...just a "little" cutting to make it work.
I think it can work. This year's Lexus front end may have made things a little difficult, but with the right amount cutting, modifying, and $$$, it could work. I'm just waiting for the guinea pig to be the first one to pull this off first
Old 03-27-14, 05:45 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Default ARB release more Prado Mod Photos

ARB released more photos of the Prado and the current mods they created for them during the winter.

Old 03-27-14, 06:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Tuff looking ride, what's up with the extension ladder tent? Guessing bears, wolfs and snakes would be the reason? I have never seen that but it would be a practical comfort sleeping area.
Old 03-27-14, 06:22 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman
Tuff looking ride, what's up with the extension ladder tent? Guessing bears, wolfs and snakes would be the reason? I have never seen that but it would be a practical comfort sleeping area.
Yes! That's exactly what roof-top tents are for, to keep you off the ground from predators, snakes, and wet ground if it downpours. A big must have for camping since the cargo area of the GX is limited.
Old 03-27-14, 06:44 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Kinda sucks you lose the LED fogs with the Bull Bar...I am installing this ARB Bull Bar for my 4Runner this weekend...

...and the comment on the differential...YES - the Diff Breather Mod - basically raising the breather above the water line...I did this for my T4R using fuel line and OEM parts - only needed for the rear diff as the front is already routed into the engine bay.
Old 03-28-14, 11:34 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Originally Posted by KVA
Kinda sucks you lose the LED fogs with the Bull Bar...I am installing this ARB Bull Bar for my 4Runner this weekend...

...and the comment on the differential...YES - the Diff Breather Mod - basically raising the breather above the water line...I did this for my T4R using fuel line and OEM parts - only needed for the rear diff as the front is already routed into the engine bay.
I have an ARB Bumper on my FJ. It is a pretty awesome top quality product. It's a little on the heavy side, but I don't mind it. Plus it's one of the few airbag compliant bumpers out there.

Old 03-28-14, 12:55 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
I have an ARB Bumper on my FJ. It is a pretty awesome top quality product. It's a little on the heavy side, but I don't mind it. Plus it's one of the few airbag compliant bumpers out there.

Yep, they do seem a little heavy but once you pull it out of the box it is actually the sum of all the parts that is heavy - the bull bar is reasonable for what it is. The build quality is great. I asked my wife if I should add the bumper to the 2014 GX and she was not game at all...lol

I'll ask again in a few years when the new car smell wears off.
Old 06-17-14, 01:06 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Default Kaymar rear bumper

I've been in contact with Benjamin Meddows from Outback Proven, an Australia owned company that sells 4WD accessories in the U.S. They sell Kaymar bumpers which specialize in rear bumper kits for 4WD vehicles.

I was asking him about this specific Toyota Prado 150 bumper to see if it was possible to get it into the U.S.

This is the e-mail I received from him today:

"G'Day Kevin,

I saw your e-mail inquiry from Kaymar this morning. I can get a Kaymar Rear Bar that fits the 150 Prado, however there is no guarantee it will fit the US Lexus GX460 equivalent even though they are essentially the same vehicle. If you're looking for the one in the picture that's a KitPrado150-R-JCD It retails for $3,059.50. If the vehicle is fitted with the Toyota sensors it's a KitPrado-S-R-JCS. If you would like a LHS tyre carrier and RHS double Jerry can for a US LHD vehicle I can try to see if it's available.

This would be a special order for a non-US spec vehicle, so payment is required upon ordering and there is no return. The price includes shipping from Australia, however not from our las Vegas warehouse to you and It would take about 3 months for delivery.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Benjamin Meddows"

There is an aftermarket out there for the GX460. It just comes from Australia and it takes some time and a little bit of experimentation and modification for it to happen.
Old 06-17-14, 06:32 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

This is a modification to extend the rear bumper? What are the advantages besides the trailer hitch, or is that the sole purpose?

With your last posts....What are you building FrigginFGO? LOL.
Old 06-17-14, 07:39 PM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Originally Posted by tecman
This is a modification to extend the rear bumper? What are the advantages besides the trailer hitch, or is that the sole purpose?

With your last posts....What are you building FrigginFGO? LOL.
LOL, This particular rear bumper moves the spare tire from the bottom of the vehicle to the back to prevent it from getting shredded on trails. It has swing out mounts for the spare and the jerry can holder (spare fuel) so the rear hatch can open up. The rear bumper can also take damage from being rear ended by cars or sliding back into brush while climbing up a steep hill.

My ultimate goal is to turn a GX460 into an overland vehicle. My FJ would be a terrible choice because it has a 19 gallon tank that can only take me so far and my 4Runner is a V6 that loaded with a family and gear, would be a drag on the trail.

People would ask why not mod a Land Cruiser or LX? I've been doing extensive research lately and found out that the current US spec 200 series Land Cruisers/LX's only have a 24 gallon tank while the GX460's have a 23 gallon tank. Even down a gallon, the GX460's driving range is 345-460 miles compared to the Land Cruiser/LX's driving range of 320-443 miles. That 5.7 V8 is just too thirsty IMHO. Not only that, the GX460 is smaller and not a behemoth that the 200 series is which can be important passing obstacles on trails.

I've been lurking on the Prado Point forums getting ideas and contacting manufacturers and their U.S. dealers to see if any parts can be shipped here since nearly all those companies are in Australia. They have no Lexus GX's there so that's why there are questions on fitment. Those companies seem to be willing to ship parts out here and may be interested in the outcome which could open the door to more off-road mod support.

Lastly, I'm giving up on my search for a CRAWL control GX460 since they are impossible to find. I will focus on getting a low mileage 2010-2013 model with no air suspension since it would be better for lifts and I believe KDSS will be sufficient enough for my needs.
Old 06-18-14, 03:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Are you taking long off road trips in Florida or some where else?
I would like to see some pictures of what you are putting your FJ and T4R through,in your quest to build the best off road truck.
Old 06-19-14, 08:08 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

I'm thinking about taking a couple of months off and going across the country doing various trails on my journey. If that goes well, I would like to do a Pan-American trip covering Central and parts of South America. I think the GX460 would combine both elements of the FJ and 4Runner into what I need.

My 4Runner is bone stock minus the BFG A/T tires. It's more of a family hauler that my wife drives:

My FJ on the other hand has:

ARB Front Bumper
XD9000 Warn Winch
Safari Snorkel
Old man Emu 1.5 inch lift (886)
Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit
BFG A/T tires

Old 06-19-14, 08:44 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Talk to these guys - they have done GX stuff in the US.

Good luck...once my wife tires of the GX I will do the same...right now the T4R is the overland vehicle.
Old 06-19-14, 09:29 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Originally Posted by KVA
Talk to these guys - they have done GX stuff in the US.

Good luck...once my wife tires of the GX I will do the same...right now the T4R is the overland vehicle.
Wow! Looks like they have done some great work! I'll shoot them an e-mail to see if they have plans for a GX460 build in the future.
Old 02-16-15, 10:55 AM
Kolt45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, my wife is going to hate me... First day on the forum and I find this.

We just bought a new GX and she told me not to touch it.

I have the same bumper on my truck and love it:

Quick Reply: Overlanding bumpers