OEM Hitch / Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 04:35 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbc247

Has anyone done the install yet?

My hitch arrives Thursday and I can't decide if I should take it to a hitch shop and have them do the install.

I ordered mine from OEM Lexus Parts because the price was less than Sewell. I am in Texas so I have to pay tax at Sewell.
When I bought my GX470 in 2004, I bought a hitch from Curt and had U-Haul install it for me. They charged me $50.

~ Cap
Old 01-29-14, 08:55 AM
johnandkri
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats: Did you get the Tow Package with you GX( Not the hitch but the Tow package) If so it should have the wiring for the 7 pin in the rear and the Brake Controller wiring harness stuffed way up under the dash. If not I am not sure how you go about getting the wiring for that hitch and never mind the wiring controller up front? I would think that cutting into wires will void the warranty should something electrical happen, especially if not done by Lexus.
Just my 2 cents. We had the hitch installed by Lexus and got our 2014 with the tow package and will be connecting a brake controller to the front harness soon.
John
Old 01-30-14, 10:26 AM
JDSTL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnandkri
Congrats: Did you get the Tow Package with you GX( Not the hitch but the Tow package) If so it should have the wiring for the 7 pin in the rear and the Brake Controller wiring harness stuffed way up under the dash. If not I am not sure how you go about getting the wiring for that hitch and never mind the wiring controller up front? I would think that cutting into wires will void the warranty should something electrical happen, especially if not done by Lexus.
Just my 2 cents. We had the hitch installed by Lexus and got our 2014 with the tow package and will be connecting a brake controller to the front harness soon.
John
Is there a trailer brake harness included with the tow package? I didn't see an option for tow package, just the hitch which I think was $459. Is this the same thing?
Old 01-30-14, 11:24 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Everybody is so scared about voiding a warranty with Lexus, they can't void your warranty unless they can prove what you did caused whatever issue that you are trying to claim as a warraty issue. Even at that it will not void your complete warranty, just the part that was messed up due to your modification. I've also found depending on your dealer Lexus is pretty easy going with warranty claims.
Old 01-30-14, 01:06 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

OK...I ordered the hitch receiver from Sewell and there were no nuts or bolts with it. No wiring were included either. Is it supposed to be included in the package?
Old 01-30-14, 01:21 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default According to their website.

Originally Posted by R3loader
OK...I ordered the hitch receiver from Sewell and there were no nuts or bolts with it. No wiring were included either. Is it supposed to be included in the package?
It should come with several items. Attached are the instructions and hardware list on their site. I ordered the kit the other day, and FedEx says I should have it tomorrow. I'll open mine up tomorrow night and let you know if I have the same or not.

Randy B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PT22860100.pdf (517.2 KB, 1321 views)
The following users liked this post:
TrubruGX (02-20-22)
Old 01-30-14, 07:23 PM
R3loader
Pit Crew

I called Sewell and they are going to look into it. They will call me back tomorrow hopefully to let me know they are shipping the installation parts and the wiring. I will keep everyone updated.
Old 02-01-14, 04:51 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Picked my GX up last evening.

After a marathon session with the manuals, I now understand the tow hitch and lack of harnesses in your box. The wiring harness is already mounted on the 2014s. Look under your left center rear bumper and you will see the dual harness connector mounted and ready for use. It accepts the round and flat harnesses. My hitch kit will arrive this morning from Sewell. I am imagining that all I will do is mount the hitch and relocate the wring harness connector to the left side of the hitch as the pictures show of a completed installation.

This makes the Hitch installation much easier in my mind, as all wiring and grommets should already be taken care of. I'll be installing it later this afternoon, and will take pictures as I go along. Afterwards I'll post a separate thread on how it went and any areas to pay special attention to.

BTW, Page 170 in the manual was the giveaway on the harness installation being installed by the factory. I verified after seeing that.

Randy B
Old 02-01-14, 08:12 AM
R3loader
Pit Crew

Thanks Randy. Sewell is sending me the bag that contains the bolts for the installation. They will be sending me the spacers which is also missing from my kit. I hope your kit comes complete. Someone must have went through this kit for missing parts previously.
Old 02-01-14, 03:23 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Finished the Hitch install.

FedEx came a little late to the house today, so I started at 4:30P, and finished just before 6P. Next one would be much quicker, as I will not have to stop and re-read to make sure I didn't miss something.

I will post a new thread after dinner with pics. I took several while the install was going on. All in all, they did a great job assembling parts , the kit, and the instructions.

Update: Back from dinner. Made a new thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...h-install.html

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 02-01-14 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-01-14, 06:50 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default 2014 GX460 Lexus Hitch Install.

Today I installed the Lexus Hitch on my new GX460. I ordered the kit from Sewell Lexus. I also used the instructions that Sewell provides on their website for a guide on the install. The document number is PT228-60100.

The instructions are written well, however the diagrams are lacking slightly in their clarity. Pictures would have been better, even in Black and white.

Here my add ons to these instructions.
1) Read the instructions page by page at least twice to make sure you understand the different lengths in bolts and bolt sizes provided in the kit.
2) When you open the kit, organize all the parts in the correct grouping of size and similarity. It will make it that much easier as you go along:
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-kit-parts-box.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PT22860100.pdf (517.2 KB, 1728 views)

Last edited by Randy B; 09-24-17 at 06:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Randy B:
SHAOSTER (06-22-17), Yona (08-04-20)
Old 02-01-14, 06:51 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Part 2

3) You will need a small tool to remove plastic tab fasteners, roll of electrical tape, socket wrench with 12mm, 14mm, and 17mm. (I have air tools in the garage, so I used ½ ratchets on the 17mm and 14mm, and 3/8 on the 12mm.)

4) First thing to do is lower the spare and get it out of the way completely. I was shocked and grateful to find not only a full size spare, but also a correct finished rim on the spare tire. Now I can work that spare into the tire rotation.
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-spare.jpg  
Old 02-01-14, 06:52 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Part 3

5) Page 2 of the instructions (FIG 1-1) shows the tow hook that must be removed. You will reuse the hook, however the two bolts that hold it in, will not be reused.
6) On the same page FIG 1-2, shows the air compressor housing cover that must be unclipped. It is located on the outside of the frame rail behind the driver’s side rear wheel. (see picture)
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-air-compressor-cover.jpg  

Last edited by Randy B; 02-02-14 at 07:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Philly01 (04-23-20)
Old 02-01-14, 06:53 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Part 4

7) Page 3 shows the factory installed harness mounted under the truck (1-4):
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-harness-on-original-mount.jpg  
Old 02-01-14, 06:54 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Part 5

8) Here it is separated from the plug:
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-harness-dosconnected-from-plug-end.jpg  

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch / Tow Package