GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Redesign

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 01:56 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Redesign

Has anyone heard when Lexus plans to redesign the GX. It's a nice vehicle but lthe hatch door
gives me heartburn the way it opens. Wish they would have it swing up ILO out to the right.
Would buy one in a minute if the hatch door design was changed. Any comments?
Old 01-28-14, 04:20 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by donmatt

Personally, the way the door opens was one of the reasons I bought my first GX in 2004.

~ Cap
Old 02-01-14, 05:54 PM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's a big deal. If I recall, don't all the Wranglers open the same way?
Old 02-01-14, 06:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by MTLDean
I don't think it's a big deal. If I recall, don't all the Wranglers open the same way?
Try spending time to unload in the rain and the wide swing is an issue with parking close to a house or car.
Old 02-01-14, 06:33 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

My understanding is that there is no redesign.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...in-2017-a.html
Old 02-01-14, 08:47 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two vehicles with the "barn door" and yet I manage to live a happy life. Crazy, I know.

Kidding aside, I have never had an issue opening the door due to other cars too close etc. I actually like the design because it is much easier to open and close than the 4Runner type design. The glass opens too, if needed. I don't get the hate and certainly don't understand how this would be the deal breaker. Body on frame and lex luxury reliability and resale trumps all.
Old 02-01-14, 09:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
I have two vehicles with the "barn door" and yet I manage to live a happy life. Crazy, I know.

Kidding aside, I have never had an issue opening the door due to other cars too close etc. I actually like the design because it is much easier to open and close than the 4Runner type design. The glass opens too, if needed. I don't get the hate and certainly don't understand how this would be the deal breaker. Body on frame and lex luxury reliability and resale trumps all.
I open my rear gate 10+ times on a work day so I understand some of you may not experience my inconveniences, I also use the window opening that gives me limited reach. I have had issues with parking to close to fully open the gate due to limited space along with pouring down rain issues to load/unload. A deal breaker NO, I knew this would be an issue but I did want the most reliable luxury truck for the $.I just thought when I spent 50K I would have an electric up swing gate with remote. Just venting on Lexus flaw in my opinion. No regreats.
Old 02-02-14, 07:16 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by donmatt
Has anyone heard when Lexus plans to redesign the GX. It's a nice vehicle but lthe hatch door
gives me heartburn the way it opens. Wish they would have it swing up ILO out to the right.
It was just refreshed and will likely be dead in a few years. Dead at least he way we know it, it may not even keep GX as a name.
Old 02-02-14, 08:02 AM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Try spending time to unload in the rain and the wide swing is an issue with parking close to a house or car.
I never even THOUGHT about this as an issue until it was brought up on these forums. Imagine 12 years of Wranglers and it never came up as an issue, in snowy/rainy Montreal where heavy precipitation is really the norm.

I think the only time it would be a problem is the rare time you're parallel parked, the car behind you is RIGHT up on you, and you have a million groceries. Toss them in the window hatch. If it's raining, then yes you're going to get wet. So what, you get a bit of rain on you and the groceries. No big deal.
Old 02-02-14, 08:48 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MTLDean
I never even THOUGHT about this as an issue until it was brought up on these forums. Imagine 12 years of Wranglers and it never came up as an issue, in snowy/rainy Montreal where heavy precipitation is really the norm.

I think the only time it would be a problem is the rare time you're parallel parked, the car behind you is RIGHT up on you, and you have a million groceries. Toss them in the window hatch. If it's raining, then yes you're going to get wet. So what, you get a bit of rain on you and the groceries. No big deal.
I guess we can agree that we disagree. You are used to side swing and I am used to upper swing. I go to 1-3 homes in my work day and due to short driveways and cars parked in the driveway I have problems. I am not delivering groceries I am installing security and home automation so I have expensive electronics and tools to deal with in the rain.
Old 02-02-14, 09:23 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Rumors are that it will be a TX in 2017/18 and be more car based sadly
Old 02-02-14, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I also greatly dislike the side swinging door, and when my wife saw it she crossed the GX off her list completely. Toyota did away with it on the Rav4 and Honda did on the CRV, Lexus will too whenever the GX morphs into whatever it will be next time.

The GX has a side swinging door because the Land Cruiser Prado does overseas. If they designed it from the ground up for the US market it would have a hatch.
Old 02-03-14, 07:07 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Rumors are that it will be a TX in 2017/18 and be more car based sadly
That is where US SUV market is headed at the moment indeed.

Funny enough the newest 2013 Chevy Trailblazer is a BOF truck-based vehicle because GM figured out if they want to go after Middle East market they need to bring something more than a pathetic mall cruiser. But, of course, US won't get it ;-)

Chevy shows production 2013 Trailblazer USA won't get
Old 02-03-14, 10:29 AM
jepva
Driver School Candidate

We like the swinging door because if you're loading/unloading pets (like dogs), they can't jump out as easily as the top-hinged door. Yes, silly reasoning at best, but it's a plus for us.
Old 02-03-14, 11:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Funny enough the newest 2013 Chevy Trailblazer is a BOF truck-based vehicle because GM figured out if they want to go after Middle East market they need to bring something more than a pathetic mall cruiser. But, of course, US won't get it ;-)
Yup, its BOF. What do we get? The unibody Traverse. Its just what the US buyer wants.

Quick Reply: Redesign