Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14, 09:40 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Not quite.

Originally Posted by rockydog
This is such elitist BS.

I've been to the BMW plant in South Carolina several times. The processes for assembly are identical to Germany. The techs working the line have the same training. The QC checks are the same as in Germany.

Toyota, Subaru, Mercedes, BMW, I could go on, all build in the US.
I agree, the names listed above are built in the US. I can also verify from personal experience (albeit a long time ago), the 1993 4Runner I owned that was built in Japan, was light years ahead of an equivalent 1993 4Runner built in the US at the time. Apples to apples. At that time frame, all SR5 4WDs were built in Japan. All 2WDs were built in the US. Blame it on sourcing, build lines, what have you, the actual product was not near the same in fit and finish.

Randy B
Old 01-26-14, 10:09 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
I agree, the names listed above are built in the US. I can also verify from personal experience (albeit a long time ago), the 1993 4Runner I owned that was built in Japan, was light years ahead of an equivalent 1993 4Runner built in the US at the time. Apples to apples. At that time frame, all SR5 4WDs were built in Japan. All 2WDs were built in the US. Blame it on sourcing, build lines, what have you, the actual product was not near the same in fit and finish.
That was 20 years ago...hardly applicable.

Compare an RX built in Canada and an RX built in Japan today.
Old 01-26-14, 03:15 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is such elitist BS.

I've been to the BMW plant in South Carolina several times. The processes for assembly are identical to Germany. The techs working the line have the same training. The QC checks are the same as in Germany.

Fact of the matter is you can not dismiss "people factor" as having no influence on the end product. I have no doubt Japanese do the work better any day of the week all other things equal.
Old 01-26-14, 04:20 PM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is such elitist BS.

Not a chance. http://www.torquenews.com/106/chrysl...t-during-lunch
Old 01-26-14, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTLDean
Does Chrysler operate the BMW plant in SC?! Did I miss that somewhere?

That's the union. These are not UAW plants.
Old 01-26-14, 05:54 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MTLDean
Ahahaa... no wonder people report stories...

For your entertainment... I had a lot of fun reading these, puts a smile on your face because you own a Lexus ;-)

Unbelievably disheartening first impressions of 2014 WK2

2012 SRT Issues... 12 Different Ones So Far - 19 in total times!!!!

SRT Quality Control Sucks

Quality is Job 2?

these are supposed to be top-of-the line Jeeps .... LOL
Old 01-26-14, 06:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You can't use what happens in an old UAW plant like JNAP (which undoubtedly has its problems...I can tell you that as the owner of a vehicle produced there) as an example of the kind of work that goes on at a state of the art non-union plant like the BMW plant in SC. That is what was being discussed remember...the only thing the JNAP plant has in common is the country its located in.

There are a lot of issues at the JNAP plant that don't have anything to do with personnel. Its old, poorly lit, UAW controlled, the list goes on.
Old 01-26-14, 06:09 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

This guy must be working for Jeep lol or feels to proud to admit because he own one
Old 01-26-14, 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quadro
This guy must be working for Jeep lol or feels to proud to admit because he own one
Me?!? I said there were quality problems with the JNAP (Jeep) plant. You need to read:

You can't use what happens in an old UAW plant like JNAP (which undoubtedly has its problems...I can tell you that as the owner of a vehicle produced there)
There are a lot of issues at the JNAP plant that don't have anything to do with personnel. Its old, poorly lit, UAW controlled, the list goes on.
Does it sound like I'm a fan of the JNAP plant? No. I like a lot of things about my Jeep, but build quality and reliability aren't things I like.

All I said was just because there are one or some plants in the US with issues doesn't mean EVERY plant from EVERY manufacturer will have issues. More contorting what I say to fit what you want it to be, whether it bears any resemblance to what I said or not. You must be a politician.
Old 01-26-14, 06:17 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Go post your comforting words to the threads I listed above. I don't own a POS Jeep and I don't care.
Old 01-26-14, 06:18 PM
GregE34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a first gen X5. It was complete junk. The only BMW I've been disappointed in. Maybe it was just an unfortunate anomaly, but having owned over 20 Bimmers, I'm hesitant to buy another one assembled outside the Fatherland.

My Acura, made in Ohio served me well and seemed to have all the reliability and quality of any Honda I've ever owned, with the exception of the dash cracking like a 70's LTD.

Didn't mean to start this kind of debate, but my experience with a US assembled BMW was quite negative. Won't go there again.
Old 01-26-14, 06:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

To me pictures even show you the difference.

This is the JNAP plant...see how dim and old it is:

This is the BMW plant in SC. See how much brighter and cleaner it is? Makes a big difference:

Guy on the Jeep board just got delivered a Jeep with the wrong color fuel door. Wrong speaker grills attached happens, whole batch shipped with the wrong steering wheels, the Jeep at the DC car show has one of the fender trims on crooked. You don't hear about things like that in US plants from other manufacturers.
Old 01-26-14, 06:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quadro
Go post your comforting words to the threads I listed above. I don't own a POS Jeep and I don't care.
LOL! What comforting words? I agree with what was posted in the threads above you linked to about the JNAP plant.

I'm talking about a BMW plant! BMW doesn't build Jeeps. Man you are a piece of work.
Old 01-26-14, 06:22 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Yeah right poorly lit plant allows drunk workers to hide in the shadows smoking pots! Nothing to do with the culture or attitude towards work.
Old 01-26-14, 06:25 PM
GregE34
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My company car is a Grand Cherokee. It's been great so far. I probably wouldn't buy one for myself, but it's done very well over the past two years and 115K.

Quick Reply: From X5 to GX