GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking for a new SUV- any regrets from GX owners?

Old 01-15-14, 02:15 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking for a new SUV- any regrets from GX owners?

I am currently looking to get rid of our loud, harsh riding honda odyssey, and am looking at the 2014 GX. I picked up an RX F sport last spring and was hooked on Lexus. I don't really need a V8 powered car, but it's hard to ignore the reliability and quality of Lexus vehicles. The other car I am looking at is the 2014 Acura MDX. It's nice, but I do worry about the quality of Acura/Honda vehicles. I have heard from numerous Lexus owners that their cars drive to same after 4 years as it did coming off the lot. While I have had my RX for only 6 months, I am very impressed.

So, basic question......any regrets from current GX owners? The only thing that really makes me hesitate is the poor gas mileage compared to the MDX (which gets 18/27). But again, that may be an OK tradeoff given that the Lexus seems like a far better vehicle.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 01-15-14, 04:14 PM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by viperdoc
I am currently looking to get rid of our loud, harsh riding honda odyssey, and am looking at the 2014 GX. I picked up an RX F sport last spring and was hooked on Lexus. I don't really need a V8 powered car, but it's hard to ignore the reliability and quality of Lexus vehicles. The other car I am looking at is the 2014 Acura MDX. It's nice, but I do worry about the quality of Acura/Honda vehicles. I have heard from numerous Lexus owners that their cars drive to same after 4 years as it did coming off the lot. While I have had my RX for only 6 months, I am very impressed.

So, basic question......any regrets from current GX owners? The only thing that really makes me hesitate is the poor gas mileage compared to the MDX (which gets 18/27). But again, that may be an OK tradeoff given that the Lexus seems like a far better vehicle.

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin, no regrets here, I traded my 2010 GX 460 Premium for a 2014 GX 460 Luxury.
Old 01-15-14, 05:06 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only when I write the check each month - but you get what you pay for.
Old 01-15-14, 05:43 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Yes. Get the side monitoring, HID. The vehicle will feel under-powered at first since it is so heavy, but as you get used to it over a few months, you will find it adequate. Other than that, I like my car except I need to take it to the dealer for the clicking seats everytime I make a turn.
Old 01-15-14, 05:44 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Underwhelming gas mileage
Feels under-powered
Interior finishes sub-par, painted surfaces scratches easily
Rear door is unwieldy
Bad navi, overall poor info services/interface
Heat/AC doesn't maintain a steady climate, especially lower part of cabin vs. upper
Can't use hands free phone unless you close center vents
Not sure if this is the case for 2014, but when I bought my 2013 the available verhicles were crammed with overpriced, unwanted options
Old 01-15-14, 05:54 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

I have a 2013 and never close those vents to use the hands free. Gotta agree to some extent about the Nav. Not as good as my portable Garmin but worlds better than my Sequioa or the wife's Mercedes.
Old 01-15-14, 06:12 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Strong resale would allow you to change it out if you ever want to. There is no replacement for a minivan except a minivan...love my 14 GX in every way. I see it as a great value as you can spend 50k on a highlander or sienna, both of which are a complete bore. MDX may work better than the GX for someone who stays on onroad at all times.
Old 01-15-14, 06:53 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

im just curious, if you think the gx is underpowered, how many miles do you have on it?
i too thought that, but i feel my engine is still breaking in at 20k miles, and it definitely feels stronger than when i first bot it.
underwhelming gas mileage not on highway. 23 mpg...
Old 01-15-14, 07:13 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My only regret is not buying the Premimum , I bough a base model because it was an impulse buy for me.
Old 01-15-14, 07:59 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Heck my 2008 GX feels as solid as the day I bought it! I had a chance to drive a 2013 Yukon---OMG felt like 10 years old already, my 08 felt better, smoother and quieter.....Get it!!!
Old 01-16-14, 04:38 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No regrets at all, love the vehicle and would recommend it to anyone. I have owned 2 of them and will trade it in for another one when the lease is up.
Old 01-16-14, 06:32 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Herd72
I have a 2013 and never close those vents to use the hands free. Gotta agree to some extent about the Nav. Not as good as my portable Garmin but worlds better than my Sequioa or the wife's Mercedes.
If we don't close them, the other party hears a noise like we are under water. Maybe you keep your vents pointed down or the system set so not much air comes through the dash. We keep ours pointed up and system on auto. Others have experienced this same issue.

Originally Posted by T4Fun
im just curious, if you think the gx is underpowered, how many miles do you have on it?
i too thought that, but i feel my engine is still breaking in at 20k miles, and it definitely feels stronger than when i first bot it.
underwhelming gas mileage not on highway. 23 mpg...
About 8,000. I don't expect the engine to get noticably more powerful by being "broken in."

I should have included another regret: Wish the gas tank was larger.
Old 01-16-14, 06:43 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As for the vents and the bluetooth, as long as you keep them pointed forward and not up there is no issue with using the bluetooth. I had the same issue when I bought mine and didn't know about the vent position but I learned and I use mine everyday without issue. The only comment I will make is even if the centers are off and the fan is blowing at max it can still be heard due to the noise it produces. The bluetooth works much better in my GX than it did on my Tahoe and does on my C6 Corvette.
Old 01-16-14, 07:16 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by LFIL
If we don't close them, the other party hears a noise like we are under water. Maybe you keep your vents pointed down or the system set so not much air comes through the dash. We keep ours pointed up and system on auto. Others have experienced this same issue.

About 8,000. I don't expect the engine to get noticably more powerful by being "broken in."

I should have included another regret: Wish the gas tank was larger.
I don't have a problem with Bluetooth with my vents open and on auto in my 2014. I never had a problem in my 2010 either...
Old 01-16-14, 07:22 AM
June8
Driver School Candidate

I don't think there is a perfect vehicle that checks every box but the GX460 comes as close as it comes for my needs. I used to own a GX470 and loved it. Traded it in for a MB GL450 which had a nice ride but had a lot of things I did not like. For the last two weeks, I've looked at MDX, LR4, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, Mercedes ML 350, WW Touareg, Infiniti QX60, Audi Q7 and Q5. The only SUV that really impressed me with its handling was the Q5 but it had some other drawbacks for me. I purchased the GX460 Premium on Saturday and have no regrets whatsoever. MDX would have been my third choice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a new SUV- any regrets from GX owners?