Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Navigation issue

Old 01-10-14, 07:36 PM   #1
tecman
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Default Navigation issue

I enter a new address into my navigation probably 10 times a week and have noticed an unusual issue, The mileage to the destination always changes when I start to move. I do not see a pattern but it always estimates the trip and then adds 5 to 9 miles or so when I start moving. I understand if I am in a driveway or in a shopping center it must recalibrate but this is not the case. I am choosing a direct route so the other routing options are not a factor. I miss my Joy Stick to move around on my MDX and the touch screen to move around on Lexus is annoying and it sucks to stop the truck to enter an address.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 01-10-14, 09:21 PM   #2
JohnJerk
Rookie

Not sure about your first issue, but voice command in the address to avoid the touch screen.
Old 01-10-14, 10:33 PM   #3
Kitana
Rookie

Kimberly's Collections

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJerk View Post
Not sure about your first issue, but voice command in the address to avoid the touch screen.
That was going to be my next question. Glad you can use VC. I hate having to stop to enter addresses in my Highlander. I can't really complain though. The system is almost 10yrs old and has done it's job well.
Kitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 02:51 AM   #4
Capirato
Lexus Champion

Send a message via AIM to Capirato

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecman View Post

I miss my Joy Stick to move around on my MDX and the touch screen to move around on Lexus is annoying and it sucks to stop the truck to enter an address.
Prestigious Society makes a Navi-Video Enhancement System, which allows you to enter an address without stopping the truck, among other things.
'06 MINI S | Pepper White
Capirato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 08:28 AM   #5
tecman
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJerk View Post
I will try that, I have voice command on my MDX and have not used it in years due to frustrations. Street names have so may variations in spelling along with unusual names and my Lexus covers 3south east states (MDX is 1 state) so there is a lot of street data and my iPhone Siri misunderstands me often. The joy I have with my MDX joy stick is looking ahead and all around easily and a faster response hard button zoom. Yes sometimes a hard device controller can be better I am aware of the Prestigious product and will probably have to go with that so I don't hold up traffic while trying to quickly enter in an address
Old 01-11-14, 12:00 PM   #6
Herd72
Driver

Related question - What would be the best way to use the nav in this situation? We travel several times a year to visit my son in another state. There is a by pass we use around a pretty large city to avoid the traffic congestion. My old Garmin would take me around by way of the by pass when I chose "quickest route" but the Nav in the GX tries to take me straight through the middle of the mess when I chose "quickest route" the other choices do not take me the way I want to go either. Could I perhaps set someplace along the by pass route as a way point or something? What would you guys suggest? I was heading down there a couple of weeks ago and not paying attention and just drove right past the turn for the by pass because I was listening to the Nav and expected it to take me the right way. Any ideas would be appreciated if you have done something similar.
Thanks,
Jim in WV
Herd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 01:27 PM   #7
Randy B
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd72 View Post
Related question - What would be the best way to use the nav in this situation? We travel several times a year to visit my son in another state. There is a by pass we use around a pretty large city to avoid the traffic congestion. My old Garmin would take me around by way of the by pass when I chose "quickest route" but the Nav in the GX tries to take me straight through the middle of the mess when I chose "quickest route" the other choices do not take me the way I want to go either. Could I perhaps set someplace along the by pass route as a way point or something? What would you guys suggest? I was heading down there a couple of weeks ago and not paying attention and just drove right past the turn for the by pass because I was listening to the Nav and expected it to take me the right way. Any ideas would be appreciated if you have done something similar.
Thanks,
Jim in WV
Either a way point just after the ramp along the route you want to take, or pay attention and make the ramp and the route will automatically be updated.

Randy B
Old 01-11-14, 07:19 PM   #8
Herd72
Driver

I will go with the way point - I have all the sense of direction of a drunken goose! The exit is easy to miss- I have gone that way maybe 25 times since he moved there and still missed it last time because ... I was not paying attention! I thought the way point would be the best solution. TNX
Herd72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-14, 07:19 PM