GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Does your GX460 Lean?
Yes: Low on the passenger side
57.38%
Yes: Low on the driver side
10.38%
No, I've measured on a flat grade and it's even
32.24%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

KDSS Lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 07:25 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I honesty believe ALL air suspension systems will develop issues, sooner or later, due to the fragile nature of the air pump, bladder, air lines, etc. The Jeep Grand Cherokees equipped with the air suspension are perfect examples. You won't believe the number of complaints on those boards, in addition to other problems...
Old 05-19-14, 08:07 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

glad you guys are taking it up notch. this issue has been present since 2010 when i got my gx, but just ignored it. ive seen many other gxs with and without air suspension with same right side leaning. maybe once my gx arrives i measure both rears and if its off demand it be fixed or whole deal is off
Old 05-19-14, 08:12 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sorry here is link from 2010.
my mistake, actually on mine, it was variable. The left side was lower at first, then the right later on. i just ignored it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...hen-right.html
Old 05-21-14, 01:17 PM
jct0518
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, I have a 2012 and a 2014 Land Cruiser Prado (gx460 Toyota variant) and the 2012 one leans to the left about an inch or so and the brand new 2014 leans to the right about the same amount....i guess this is a "normal" issue on the vehicles. I assume this problem would affect overall stability of the vehicle which is a bit worriesome.

I also have a friend who has a 2010 model and has the same lean, so this issue has been reflected since the introduction of the second generation gx460 or land cruiser prado in our case.

Hope toyota can fix this issue once and for all.....
Old 06-08-14, 05:40 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My troubleshooting dealer tech ran this up the flag pole to Lexus Corporate. He claims the factory rep states this is normal. I told my dealer contact this was completely unacceptable and requested to meet with the rep in person. I'm towing on top of it and I cannot imagine this provides the greatest stability.

There's another issue I brought up and the factory rep also passed it off as if it is not important... posted here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post8573813 . Lexus has to step things up.

I encourage everyone with a GX that has this lean issue to contact their dealer and be persistent about it. I will post a poll to see how many people have this same issue.
Old 06-08-14, 05:44 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Is your GX460 leaning?

Trying to gauge how many people have a leaning GX460. Typically the lean is 1" lower on the passenger side.

Please also post your year and vehicle option package
Old 06-08-14, 05:47 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

2014 Luxury: Yes leans to passenger side
Old 06-09-14, 07:53 AM
tgergen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more of us that find this unacceptable and complain the better.

Also, when you get your "new car survey" from JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc, etc, please note that you have a suspension issue that is unresolved. Hopefully this will also send a message that the "lean" is unacceptable.
Old 06-12-14, 10:57 PM
zeebra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
Long time since I've seen you guys! I just put my deposit on the GX460 2014 that I'll pick up tomorrow, so I wanted to browse the club forum for info on it- mainly got it for the wife to carry around our first child coming up shortly.
Seems to me that, from an engineering point of view, the overall design theory may very well have been to set the car to lean to the right when powered off so that the rear door always tends to fall open for safety reasons...
Further to that, they would serve themselves to design the suspension system so that it would tend to sag more and more to the right as the components wear and begin to get out-of-tune and the system bleeds pressure.
I would imagine that at some point the attorneys bullied the suspension system engineers to keep it extra safe in this way; the upshot is: That is most likely why the dealers are telling you "it's within spec".
At any rate, the above serves as a good explanation to anyone who asks why it leans...especially if you love the car and don't want the question to bum you out!

Hey it's entirely possible that there is a level sensor out of whack somewhere too- especially if it rides atilt whilst driving. Also I agree with one of the original thread replies in that it never hurts to try and cycle the system through its range a couple times - possibly even do this every week or so - to reset its limits.
Take care braughelms
Z
Old 06-13-14, 03:44 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zeebra
Hey all,
Long time since I've seen you guys! I just put my deposit on the GX460 2014 that I'll pick up tomorrow, so I wanted to browse the club forum for info on it- mainly got it for the wife to carry around our first child coming up shortly.
Seems to me that, from an engineering point of view, the overall design theory may very well have been to set the car to lean to the right when powered off so that the rear door always tends to fall open for safety reasons...
Further to that, they would serve themselves to design the suspension system so that it would tend to sag more and more to the right as the components wear and begin to get out-of-tune and the system bleeds pressure.
I would imagine that at some point the attorneys bullied the suspension system engineers to keep it extra safe in this way; the upshot is: That is most likely why the dealers are telling you "it's within spec".
At any rate, the above serves as a good explanation to anyone who asks why it leans...especially if you love the car and don't want the question to bum you out!

Hey it's entirely possible that there is a level sensor out of whack somewhere too- especially if it rides atilt whilst driving. Also I agree with one of the original thread replies in that it never hurts to try and cycle the system through its range a couple times - possibly even do this every week or so - to reset its limits.
Take care braughelms
Z
Except I believe it leans while driving. I always felt like the hood line leaned to the passenger side before I read this thread. I asked my wife several times do you see that.

Then I read this thread and started measuring. Lexus never offered that this is only when parked. You've speculated that.

It's not right. I don't wish to bum you out. You're in a position to make a stink about it. Measure yours before picking it up and demand that as a condition of the sale you want this fixed.

I recommend all buyers do that to help us existing owners out. After all, we provide feedback to you for making your decisions
Old 06-13-14, 05:47 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And.... there's a lock on the rear swing door to keep it open in case you are on an angle or it's windy.
Old 06-13-14, 05:51 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
And.... there's a lock on the rear swing door to keep it open in case you are on an angle or it's windy.
Yes that's a very far stretch to say it was designed to lean to keep the door open. I'm a big Lexus advocate but not blindly so.
Old 06-13-14, 06:21 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
Yes that's a very far stretch to say it was designed to lean to keep the door open. I'm a big Lexus advocate but not blindly so.
I didn't say that the Lexus was designed to lean, I was disagreeing with him by saying the door has a lock to keep it open so that wouldn't bea reason for a lean. As far as I'm concerned the vehicle should sit level from side to side at all times unless the driver is 500 pounds!
Old 06-13-14, 06:29 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I didn't say that the Lexus was designed to lean, I was disagreeing with him by saying the door has a lock to keep it open so that wouldn't bea reason for a lean. As far as I'm concerned the vehicle should sit level from side to side at all times unless the driver is 500 pounds!
My apologies but I was not suggesting that you did say it was designed to do that. I was referring to an earlier post and supporting your comments.
Old 06-13-14, 06:32 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Listen...I can totally understand why zeebra is very enthusiastic. He's picking up his GX tomorrow/today. When you pick up a new vehicle you always want the illusion it will be perfect at least for a week :-)

Quick Reply: KDSS Lean