Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

New '14 GX rear not level

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-14, 07:25 PM   #31
11GX460
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
11GX460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: EastCoast
Posts: 33
Default

I honesty believe ALL air suspension systems will develop issues, sooner or later, due to the fragile nature of the air pump, bladder, air lines, etc. The Jeep Grand Cherokees equipped with the air suspension are perfect examples. You won't believe the number of complaints on those boards, in addition to other problems...
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
11GX460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 08:07 PM   #32
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
T4Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,107
Default

glad you guys are taking it up notch. this issue has been present since 2010 when i got my gx, but just ignored it. ive seen many other gxs with and without air suspension with same right side leaning. maybe once my gx arrives i measure both rears and if its off demand it be fixed or whole deal is off
__________________
2010 GX 460 Premium- Starfire Pearl - Sepia - ML - Park Assist - sold

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-14, 08:12 PM   #33
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
T4Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,107
Default

sorry here is link from 2010.
my mistake, actually on mine, it was variable. The left side was lower at first, then the right later on. i just ignored it.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-s...hen-right.html
__________________
2010 GX 460 Premium- Starfire Pearl - Sepia - ML - Park Assist - sold

2014 GX 460 Luxury - Starfire Pearl - Sepia - Driver support.
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-14, 01:17 PM   #34
jct0518
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MA
Posts: 4
Default

Hi guys, I have a 2012 and a 2014 Land Cruiser Prado (gx460 Toyota variant) and the 2012 one leans to the left about an inch or so and the brand new 2014 leans to the right about the same amount....i guess this is a "normal" issue on the vehicles. I assume this problem would affect overall stability of the vehicle which is a bit worriesome.

I also have a friend who has a 2010 model and has the same lean, so this issue has been reflected since the introduction of the second generation gx460 or land cruiser prado in our case.

Hope toyota can fix this issue once and for all.....
jct0518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-14, 05:40 PM   #35
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
looknow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,521
Default

My troubleshooting dealer tech ran this up the flag pole to Lexus Corporate. He claims the factory rep states this is normal. I told my dealer contact this was completely unacceptable and requested to meet with the rep in person. I'm towing on top of it and I cannot imagine this provides the greatest stability.

There's another issue I brought up and the factory rep also passed it off as if it is not important... posted here: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-s...ml#post8573813 . Lexus has to step things up.

I encourage everyone with a GX that has this lean issue to contact their dealer and be persistent about it. I will post a poll to see how many people have this same issue.
looknow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 07:53 AM   #36
tgergen
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: California
Posts: 68
Send a message via Yahoo to tgergen
Default

The more of us that find this unacceptable and complain the better.

Also, when you get your "new car survey" from JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc, etc, please note that you have a suspension issue that is unresolved. Hopefully this will also send a message that the "lean" is unacceptable.
__________________
14 Lexus GX460
08 BMW M3
06 Nissan Titan
04 Lexus GX470 -- sold
95 and 97 BMW M3 - sold
04 Porsche GT3 - sold
tgergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 10:57 PM   #37
zeebra
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon
Posts: 40
Default

Hey all,
Long time since I've seen you guys! I just put my deposit on the GX460 2014 that I'll pick up tomorrow, so I wanted to browse the club forum for info on it- mainly got it for the wife to carry around our first child coming up shortly.
Seems to me that, from an engineering point of view, the overall design theory may very well have been to set the car to lean to the right when powered off so that the rear door always tends to fall open for safety reasons...
Further to that, they would serve themselves to design the suspension system so that it would tend to sag more and more to the right as the components wear and begin to get out-of-tune and the system bleeds pressure.
I would imagine that at some point the attorneys bullied the suspension system engineers to keep it extra safe in this way; the upshot is: That is most likely why the dealers are telling you "it's within spec".
At any rate, the above serves as a good explanation to anyone who asks why it leans...especially if you love the car and don't want the question to bum you out!

Hey it's entirely possible that there is a level sensor out of whack somewhere too- especially if it rides atilt whilst driving. Also I agree with one of the original thread replies in that it never hurts to try and cycle the system through its range a couple times - possibly even do this every week or so - to reset its limits.
Take care braughelms
Z
zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 03:44 AM   #38
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
looknow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
Hey all,
Long time since I've seen you guys! I just put my deposit on the GX460 2014 that I'll pick up tomorrow, so I wanted to browse the club forum for info on it- mainly got it for the wife to carry around our first child coming up shortly.
Seems to me that, from an engineering point of view, the overall design theory may very well have been to set the car to lean to the right when powered off so that the rear door always tends to fall open for safety reasons...
Further to that, they would serve themselves to design the suspension system so that it would tend to sag more and more to the right as the components wear and begin to get out-of-tune and the system bleeds pressure.
I would imagine that at some point the attorneys bullied the suspension system engineers to keep it extra safe in this way; the upshot is: That is most likely why the dealers are telling you "it's within spec".
At any rate, the above serves as a good explanation to anyone who asks why it leans...especially if you love the car and don't want the question to bum you out!

Hey it's entirely possible that there is a level sensor out of whack somewhere too- especially if it rides atilt whilst driving. Also I agree with one of the original thread replies in that it never hurts to try and cycle the system through its range a couple times - possibly even do this every week or so - to reset its limits.
Take care braughelms
Z
Except I believe it leans while driving. I always felt like the hood line leaned to the passenger side before I read this thread. I asked my wife several times do you see that.

Then I read this thread and started measuring. Lexus never offered that this is only when parked. You've speculated that.

It's not right. I don't wish to bum you out. You're in a position to make a stink about it. Measure yours before picking it up and demand that as a condition of the sale you want this fixed.

I recommend all buyers do that to help us existing owners out. After all, we provide feedback to you for making your decisions
looknow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 05:47 AM   #39
Eppieguy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 527
Default

And.... there's a lock on the rear swing door to keep it open in case you are on an angle or it's windy.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 05:51 AM   #40
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
looknow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppieguy View Post
And.... there's a lock on the rear swing door to keep it open in case you are on an angle or it's windy.
Yes that's a very far stretch to say it was designed to lean to keep the door open. I'm a big Lexus advocate but not blindly so.
looknow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 06:21 AM   #41
Eppieguy
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by looknow12 View Post
Yes that's a very far stretch to say it was designed to lean to keep the door open. I'm a big Lexus advocate but not blindly so.
I didn't say that the Lexus was designed to lean, I was disagreeing with him by saying the door has a lock to keep it open so that wouldn't bea reason for a lean. As far as I'm concerned the vehicle should sit level from side to side at all times unless the driver is 500 pounds!
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 06:29 AM   #42
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
looknow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppieguy View Post
I didn't say that the Lexus was designed to lean, I was disagreeing with him by saying the door has a lock to keep it open so that wouldn't bea reason for a lean. As far as I'm concerned the vehicle should sit level from side to side at all times unless the driver is 500 pounds!
My apologies but I was not suggesting that you did say it was designed to do that. I was referring to an earlier post and supporting your comments.
looknow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 06:32 AM   #43
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
looknow12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,521
Default

Listen...I can totally understand why zeebra is very enthusiastic. He's picking up his GX tomorrow/today. When you pick up a new vehicle you always want the illusion it will be perfect at least for a week :-)
looknow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 09:57 PM   #44
zeebra
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon
Posts: 40
Default

Yeah I guess I was a little too enthusiastic last night, you all are right that's BS
Picked up the new GX today and she's plumb level.... Aw yeah!
I'm liking it so much now I want to trade in my LS460 for an LX!
Sorry I couldn't help much with the level issue everyone.
Peace
Z
zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-14, 05:39 AM   #45
ZMushtaq
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
ZMushtaq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Eastern
Posts: 6
Default

Hi All,
I got my GX460 -2014 last Dec, and had the same issue. LR is lower than RR. went to the dealer to get it fixed and they struggled for 10 days before they came back to me and told me that they need to replace the FR KDSS drum, coil spring and suspension rod. Coild spring and rod as I was feeling a noise from that side and KDSS Drum and that is dirsturbing the balance. After April, they just replaced all the 3 part and walaaa... Height is perfect... LR and RR having same height .....

I also checked new GX at showroom and they have the height issue, looks like may be Lexus will recall the GX sometime to fix it....

Hope this helps to all owners struggling to get the height issue fixed.....
ZMushtaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-14, 05:39 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2014, 460, 470, gx, gx460, leans, level, lexus, lexux, spring, suspension, uneven

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keep or Sell my 2005 GX470? smfphx GX - First Generation 15 09-16-14 11:41 AM
Is your GX come with front window tint? ohiois350 GX - Second Generation 12 07-27-14 05:59 AM
2010-11 lexus gx converted to a 2014 lexus gx? gxxguy GX - Second Generation 17 04-26-14 07:12 AM
New 03 with 56K rough ride ? wrightbenz GX - First Generation 1 12-11-13 10:05 AM
New GX 470 owner nickd818 GX - First Generation 4 12-01-13 05:32 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info