GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

'10 GX adding PIAA Xtreme White + Premium OEM Moudling

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-14, 01:08 PM
Seanathin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '10 GX adding PIAA Xtreme White + Premium OEM Moudling

New to the site - great information so far.

Traded in wife's IS250AWD for a 2010 GX460 Base in Tungsten Pearl w/ 30K miles.

We test drove the 1st Generation GX (09 and earlier), and the 2nd Generation felt better in every aspect. The 2014 didn't do it for me aesthetically, so the choice was easy.

I read the DIY thread, and ordered a set of OEM Door Moulding to break-up the giant doors that are just asking for some door dings. I'm planning on trimming the moulding so I won't need to drill into the door. A lot of dealer installed moulding do just fine with 3M over a lifetime. I'll post pictures when I get them on.

I also ordered a set of PIAA xtreme white plus in H11 for the low beams; I have had these in my F250 for about three years and they are still burning strong. They are close in color to stock GX HIDs (4000K vs stock 4300K) so they don't look like they belong in a civic, and I know they won't burn out in a couple months like other name brand "high performance halogens" I have tried. I'll try to get a couple good shots of these when they go in as well.

Sean (working on signature)
Old 01-03-14, 03:51 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I used the PIAA extreme white on my 2003 Acura MDX for 8 years and I used my headlights and fogs every time I drove for safety. I probably bought 6 or so pairs over the 8 year span due to burn outs ( 160k miles with lights on). I will say the PIAA was the whitest halogen I found but LEDs have come along way. I would recommend before you unbox your halogens consider LEDs that will give a better true white and supposedly have a longer life span. I have several LEDs in and out of my 2011GX and would not consider a halogen any longer. There was some confusion with the low beams and fogs I ordered so I can not confirm the look of the following link but I will have them next week. http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/headl...11-5k-cxa.html
Old 01-03-14, 06:10 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the PIAA bulbs and they are the best bulbs out there in my opinion. I have been running PIAA bulbs and lights on all of my vehicles since the 90's. With that being said I'm going to suggest you buy a HID kit instead on the PIAAs for the GX. Much much better lighting.

Just my .02
Old 01-03-14, 09:38 PM
Seanathin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm; one vote for LED and one vote for HID.

Tecman: LEDs always talk about this incredible lifespan, but my fear is that most of the aftermarket LEDs I've dealt with never last a fraction of the time that the incandescent light they replaced did. Maybe I'm just buying junk, but I appreciate the suggestion and I'll look into it. Those LEDs you posted look like they twist right into the housing with no cutting, then just mount the little black box near by? If I went this route I'd certainly end up with LED hi beam/ DRL combo.

Eppieguy: my one critique of the PIAA bulbs in my F250 is the output pattern is a bit odd.... The well li/ focused areas seem brighter, but it seems to fade faster at the edges if that makes sense - I blame the reflectors and hope the Lexus pattern would be better. I looked at the HID but dreaded cutting into the new-to-us Lexus, only to have to repeatedly dig into it replacing components (granted the only kits I've seen first hand were Chinese/ eBay sets). I have no doubt in the quality of light output, just curious of the realistic lifespan of a quality HID kit (with Philips Bulbs).
Old 01-04-14, 05:15 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Seanathin

Tecman: LEDs always talk about this incredible lifespan, but my fear is that most of the aftermarket LEDs I've dealt with never last a fraction of the time that the incandescent light they replaced did. Maybe I'm just buying junk, but I appreciate the suggestion and I'll look into it. Those LEDs you posted look like they twist right into the housing with no cutting, then just mount the little black box near by? If I went this route I'd certainly end up with LED hi beam/ DRL combo.

Eppieguy: my one critique of the PIAA bulbs in my F250 is the output pattern is a bit odd.... The well li/ focused areas seem brighter, but it seems to fade faster at the edges if that makes sense - I blame the reflectors and hope the Lexus pattern would be better. I looked at the HID but dreaded cutting into the new-to-us Lexus, only to have to repeatedly dig into it replacing components (granted the only kits I've seen first hand were Chinese/ eBay sets). I have no doubt in the quality of light output, just curious of the realistic lifespan of a quality HID kit (with Philips Bulbs).
I've been running HID kits since installing my first kit on my 99 Tahoe and never had to replace a bulb or ballast. If you buy the proper kit you should have to do no cutting, I've even installed HIDs on my GX in the fog lights. I'm running the LED bulb in my high beams on my GX.
Old 01-04-14, 07:08 AM
dclaytor
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I went this route I'd certainly end up with LED hi beam/ DRL combo.

I would recommend against this, as I have a '13 GX and I recently took the LEDs out of the DRL / high beam sockets due to issues (flickering, one bulb randomly not lighting in DRL mode). I used the recommended CAN BUS adapters. and this seemed to help early on. I ended up with HID (Philips 35 watt bulbs) in the low beams, and the VLEDS LEDs in the Fog Lights, and the stock halogen bulbs in in the DRL / high beams. I wanted to remove all halogen bulbs, but does not seem to work in DRL's.

On a side note, anyone notice how the front engine cover's plastic snap locks do not stay clicked in after removing and replacing front cover? I ended up using a few zip ties, any tips appreciated here.
Old 01-04-14, 05:09 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Seanathin

The LEDs I received originally were for the high beams but I did find during installation that you can fit the additional part inside the low beam weatherproof housing. I have a visual on the fog lights and yes it would appear mounting will be required. As for me voting for LEDs that is not the case. I am going with LEDs to match my running LEDs and do not need a high output light at night due to where I live with cars always close by or street lights. I understand some of you seek the best forward visual that you can get. That being said if that is what you are looking for I do think HID may be your best choice. I do think you get what you pay for with LEDs and hope what I am getting will hold up, you can go to Pep Boys and buy these for 1/3 the price. I have read several complaints on using LEDs for DLR due to the wattage difference and I have chosen to use my LED running lights instead and love that no matter what lights you have turned on the Lexus turns it off when you shut the truck down. I had to manually do this with my Acura.FYI to all you can turn off DLR within the on board programming.
Old 01-11-14, 04:10 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I installed the head lights and as you can see there is definitely a contrast with the fogs. I did take a quick drive and I notice the whiter light but did not notice a brighter output but I did not drive into a dark area and the light pattern seems to be the same. I plan on installing the fogs tomorrow .
Attached Thumbnails '10 GX adding PIAA Xtreme White + Premium OEM Moudling-img_0442.jpg   '10 GX adding PIAA Xtreme White + Premium OEM Moudling-img_0443.jpg  
Old 01-11-14, 05:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

My bad I mean Day running lights not DLR

Last edited by tecman; 01-11-14 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-11-14, 10:24 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I installed the head lights and as you can see there is definitely a contrast with the fogs. I did take a quick drive and I notice the whiter light but did not notice a brighter output but I did not drive into a dark area and the light pattern seems to be the same. I plan on installing the fogs tomorrow .

Tecman. What's up with that grill
Old 01-11-14, 10:40 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by frank69m
Tecman. What's up with that grill
My grill Bling is not so good? I know I have a flashy truck and understand some will disapprove. This is my other ride. BLING
Attached Thumbnails '10 GX adding PIAA Xtreme White + Premium OEM Moudling-dsc00007a.jpg  

Last edited by tecman; 01-11-14 at 10:59 PM.