Cargo space - actual number?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 08:23 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitana
Thank you all for the responses.
I know what you mean Revnitup. I filled my Highlander with all my sons baby swings, neglectomatics (exersausers) and strollers on a daily basis. Now we are finally down to one car seat that my younger son will grow out of next year.
My Mother-in-Law suggested we get a nice van. If I had rolled my eyes any harder I would have torn a retina.
The lack of GX cargo room will be a big issue. The alternative is going with a large suv like the Sequoia. The gas mileage on that is a bigger issue with me and I don't need an everyday vehicle that big. I found another thread here that discussed Stowaway 2 cargo boxes http://www.stowaway2.com/cargo-box-swinging.aspx
That may be just the thing to solve the storage issue and keep us all happy. Looking forward to exceeded expectations in about 3 months
You nailed it. Get the Stowaway 2 (the Max-but think about whether you need the swingaway or fixed). We traded a Sequoia for the GX. We chose the GX instead of another Sequoia mostly because we wanted less room. The only time we need lots of space is a few times a year when we drive across the country to stay at a different house for awhile. We got a fixed Stowaway 2 Max and it is a great solution for a temporary boost in space. Easier to get on/off and load than a rooftop carrier, holds more weight, and doesn't create wind drag.
Old 12-14-13, 08:44 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you all for the responses.
I know what you mean Revnitup. I filled my Highlander with all my sons baby swings, neglectomatics (exersausers) and strollers on a daily basis. Now we are finally down to one car seat that my younger son will grow out of next year.
My Mother-in-Law suggested we get a nice van. If I had rolled my eyes any harder I would have torn a retina.
The lack of GX cargo room will be a big issue. The alternative is going with a large suv like the Sequoia. The gas mileage on that is a bigger issue with me and I don't need an everyday vehicle that big. I found another thread here that discussed Stowaway 2 cargo boxes http://www.stowaway2.com/cargo-box-swinging.aspx
That may be just the thing to solve the storage issue and keep us all happy. Looking forward to exceeded expectations in about 3 months
It sounds to me like you need a minivan. My wife won't accept it because she is too "cool" for it, but her needs are identical to yours and she needs one. It's that or a Sequoia basically. The Sienna AWD is a damn nice car, and based on your needs you should have that.
Old 12-14-13, 09:00 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

My last truck was a 2003 first generation Acura MDX and I was surprised at how much cargo space I lost going to the GX.
Old 12-14-13, 12:19 PM
Ceenit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here on the MDX as we traded an 03 MDX for our GX. I was surprised that the GX has less space because it looks bigger on the exterior. So far it has not been an issue for us, as the difference isn't that dramatic My wife had the same reaction to the mini van. SUV might not be quite as practical as the mini van, but the GX more than makes up for it in the cool factor.
Old 12-14-13, 01:33 PM
Kitana
Driver

Originally Posted by Lolrax
It sounds to me like you need a minivan. My wife won't accept it because she is too "cool" for it, but her needs are identical to yours and she needs one. It's that or a Sequoia basically. The Sienna AWD is a damn nice car, and based on your needs you should have that.
Your wife and I would get along well.
I want the off road ability as well. We go to the beach frequently and I don't think a mini van would like chasing the wild ponies of Corolla up and down the dunes. The Sienna is a nice van I agree. It just wont be able to keep up with our adventurous family.
Old 12-14-13, 01:38 PM
Kitana
Driver

Originally Posted by LFIL
You nailed it. Get the Stowaway 2 (the Max-but think about whether you need the swingaway or fixed). We traded a Sequoia for the GX. We chose the GX instead of another Sequoia mostly because we wanted less room. The only time we need lots of space is a few times a year when we drive across the country to stay at a different house for awhile. We got a fixed Stowaway 2 Max and it is a great solution for a temporary boost in space. Easier to get on/off and load than a rooftop carrier, holds more weight, and doesn't create wind drag.
Excellent! I am thinking the swingaway so we can open the back at least half way without having to unload first? Am I incorrect on this? I just started researching them yesterday. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here is the very helpful thread I found about a Stowaway just by luck.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...stowaway2.html

Last edited by Kitana; 12-14-13 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 02:04 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

as used LX can be had for less than a new gx and prices have come down a lot. i would consider that if you want more space.
Old 12-14-13, 02:25 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Your wife and I would get along well.
I want the off road ability as well. We go to the beach frequently and I don't think a mini van would like chasing the wild ponies of Corolla up and down the dunes. The Sienna is a nice van I agree. It just wont be able to keep up with our adventurous family.

Speaking of Corolla.......
Old 12-14-13, 02:51 PM
Kitana
Driver

Originally Posted by Eppieguy

Speaking of Corolla.......
YES! That's what I'm talking about! (squeeee!!) I'll meet you there in April!
Old 12-14-13, 03:08 PM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent! I am thinking the swingaway so we can open the back at least half way without having to unload first? Am I incorrect on this? I just started researching them yesterday. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here is the very helpful thread I found about a Stowaway just by luck.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...stowaway2.html
I don't know how far open you can get the rear door with the box swung away-maybe the company or someone here can answer that. I don't think you have to unload the swingaway before swinging, but check with the company on that.

For us, since we load up the car with stuff we don't need until we get there, then unload everything, the ability to swing the box was not needed. The fixed box sits far enough away from the GX that you can squeeze in and load/unload stuff through the rear window (the stuff that sits on top of the "base layer" of stuff on the floor) if you have to. Luggage we need en route goes in the box. Another consideration with swingaway vs. fixed: the swingaway will need an exhaust shield (the fixed doesn't), and the swingaway frame is a fair bit heavier than the fixed.

One warning about the Swingaway box: You have to make sure you don't pack it in such a way that something can shift and jam the lock mechanism, keeping it from opening. If this happens, jiggling it or worst case taking the box off and tilting, will get you in.

On the subject of minivans: Since our first child was but a gleam in my eye in 1991, when we bought our first kid-mobile, we have had SUVs. Never even considered a minivan, although there are nice ones out there. Just couldn't do it. Where we live, minivans are few and far between, although there are plenty of little ones running around.
Old 12-14-13, 04:18 PM
Kitana
Driver

Very useful info! Thank you LFIL
I grew up mostly driving trucks and suvs because of my equestrian background so that's what I'm most comfortable in. I tell people my husband married me for my truck (F350 Dually) The Highlander was a compromise. It was a good choice and has done it's job well over the last 10 years. Now I want something for work and pleasure. The box will solve the storage issue. If not then we need a cargo trailer. I'm thinking the swingaway because of our large dog who will be riding in the cargo area may need a pit stop on long trips.
Old 12-16-13, 07:36 AM
xcantuaj
Rookie

What your looking for is the new bigger 2014 Toyota Highlander........Google it.
Old 12-16-13, 08:58 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xcantuaj
What your looking for is the new bigger 2014 Toyota Highlander........Google it.
That really is a thought. Hanging a big box off of the back of your GX seems kind of crazy to me.
Old 12-16-13, 10:50 AM
Kitana
Driver

Originally Posted by Lolrax
That really is a thought. Hanging a big box off of the back of your GX seems kind of crazy to me.
The Highlander does not have the off-road capability of the GX. The GX is not just for sitting in my driveway and looking pretty. I intend to test it's limits. I need a vehicle that plays hard like me.
The big box would only be used to go to our cottage and we would still need one for extra space even with the new Highlander.
Old 12-16-13, 01:21 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by xcantuaj
the new HL looks ugly. another wrong move for toyota

Quick Reply: Cargo space - actual number?