GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Cargo space - actual number?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 01:42 PM
Thrumcap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Same dimensions as 4runner but 28% less cargo capacity?

What am I missing? Lexus lists max cargo at 64.7 cu. ft. and 4runner is 89.7.
Exterior dimensions are the same as is legroom in all rows. Where did the cargo space go?
Old 12-10-10, 02:41 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Does the 4 Runner have 3 rows of seats? My BMW X5 had more storage room than my GX 460. Even my Infiniti QX4 had more storage... I think the RX has more storage from what I can remember when I had a loaner.

Last edited by Craig B; 12-10-10 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-10-10, 02:46 PM
Thrumcap
Driver School Candidate

Yes- they are available. That's what is so odd- the rest of the specs are exactly the same except cargo.
Landcruiser and LX match up the same....
Old 12-10-10, 04:12 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by Thrumcap
Yes- they are available. That's what is so odd- the rest of the specs are exactly the same except cargo.
Landcruiser and LX match up the same....
That does sound strange. I wonder how they get the extra room?
Old 12-10-10, 08:00 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

umm, here goes
loss of cargo room from motorized 3rd row seats.

the sides of the gx in back are angled "in" towards roof, thus you are losing space there too.

the sides of other suvs are vertical in back, including 4runner, so yeah its easy to see why gx has less room in back, atleast to me...
Old 12-11-10, 03:13 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
umm, here goes
loss of cargo room from motorized 3rd row seats.

the sides of the gx in back are angled "in" towards roof, thus you are losing space there too.

the sides of other suvs are vertical in back, including 4runner, so yeah its easy to see why gx has less room in back, atleast to me...
T4Fun is exactly right. Put the third row in the 4Runner and measure. The lost cargo space is worth being able to push a button and the third row seats disappear. The lost cargo space is more cargo volume not floor space. Also the GX has more passenger room then the 4Runner.

Koz
Old 12-11-10, 11:06 AM
Craig B

I always leave my third row down. I have no need for it and I would rather have more cargo space than the third row seating...
Old 12-12-10, 07:30 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I always leave my third row down. I have no need for it and I would rather have more cargo space than the third row seating...
I too have no real need for the third row but I feel there is no real difference between the 4Runner and the GX as far as using the cargo space other then the cargo sits a little higher in the bed. With the GX you are just losing some volume not floor space. I like the idea of having the third row available if needed. If it had the same kind of third row as the 4Runner I would just have to leave it in the garage.

Koz
Old 12-27-10, 09:30 AM
gxgonz
Rookie

I think it has to do with the sliding 2nd row in the GX. The 4runner 2nd row does not slide as far back. It actually only slides on the model equipped with 3rd row. 2nd row is stationary with the model that has the sliding rear cargo. The GX did have more leg room when I was shopping around. This is just a some what informed guess.
Old 12-13-13, 09:11 PM
Kitana
Driver

Default Cargo/trunk space question..

I currently have a Highlander that I am more than ready to trade in for a new SUV. I very much want the new GX 460 but I am a little concerned about cargo space. I was shocked to see that the GX has less cargo room than my Highlander and the 4-Runner. From all the specs I'm seeing in my comparisons of most medium/large SUVs the GX seems to have the least amount of space.

Has GX space been an issue or concern for anyone else?

If the GX can't fit my two boys, large dog and all our stuff for trips my husband will likely say . The LX is out of my range right now otherwise I would get that. Just curious if other members have had space issues.

A small cargo trailer or car carrier is not out of the question but it would be nice to not have to deal with those since my husband has a slight #@$*^&% meltdown if I ask him to help me attach the car carrier before a trip. /
Old 12-13-13, 11:23 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I will try to answer as I just sold a 2012 4Runner for my GX. I haven't had any issues with it vs. the 4runner for cargo space and versatility. The numbers are so similar that I found it to be negligible. Yes, it is a bit smaller inside overall but not enough to make a difference.if your Highlander is suiting your needs you won't have any issues with the GX and it will exceed your expectations on every other front. It has for me.
Old 12-13-13, 11:39 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I just got my GX December 1 and so far there has been no issues on space. You can fit 7 people with the third row up. With the third row down there is plenty of cargo space. We'll be taking a trip to Vegas next weekend and we'll see how the GX holds up and I'll report if I had any issues with space for people and our belongings.
Old 12-14-13, 01:50 AM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would say kind of disappointed in the lack of cargo space in our new 14' GX vs other vehicles. We have a 1 year old and you know all the gear that they come with. The bob stroller alone takes up half of the rear cargo area.
Old 12-14-13, 05:53 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

GX is not much of a cargo hauler, but then again, neither was my X5.
Old 12-14-13, 07:32 AM
Kitana
Driver

Thank you all for the responses.
I know what you mean Revnitup. I filled my Highlander with all my sons baby swings, neglectomatics (exersausers) and strollers on a daily basis. Now we are finally down to one car seat that my younger son will grow out of next year.
My Mother-in-Law suggested we get a nice van. If I had rolled my eyes any harder I would have torn a retina.
The lack of GX cargo room will be a big issue. The alternative is going with a large suv like the Sequoia. The gas mileage on that is a bigger issue with me and I don't need an everyday vehicle that big. I found another thread here that discussed Stowaway 2 cargo boxes http://www.stowaway2.com/cargo-box-swinging.aspx
That may be just the thing to solve the storage issue and keep us all happy. Looking forward to exceeded expectations in about 3 months

Quick Reply: Cargo space - actual number?