GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX: Selling like Hot Cakes?? True or False

Old 12-08-13, 12:16 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 GX: Selling like Hot Cakes?? True or False

Hi,
We just visited our local dealer to look for 2014 GX. They did not have one on lot to test drive. Fine. So they looked at their inventory and printed out 3 models that met our choice options. I am not at the negotiation point yet, but I was shocked when they told us that 'there is no negotiation with our GX'es, because we cant keep them on the lot...they sell before they arrive...so do you want to make a deposit on any of these???' I thought this applied to RX and LS. Maybe not LS as much.

My plan is to get an invoice quote thru Consumer Reports or Edmunds. Then go from there. But I am discouraged by what I was told. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 12-08-13, 01:23 PM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes Lexus is selling them crazy fast.

I was driving the Lexus lot in Memphis last week and there was no 14' GX in stock either. Heck it's Christmas time nothing says I love you like a $50k plus SUV in the driveway. I guess Santa is buying them all up. If you can afford to be patient the right deal will come along. I was only able to get $1,500 off ours when they came out a couple of months ago.

Last edited by Revnitup; 12-08-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-08-13, 01:50 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Thats what I thought. Maybe its too new. And its Christmas. And DOW is soaring. And December event. And what not.
Old 12-08-13, 02:00 PM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrxus
Thats what I thought. Maybe its too new. And its Christmas. And DOW is soaring. And December event. And what not.
Look around at other dealers in your area. You can contact their internet sales dept. I made a deal on mine in October and they were selling them. Not sure you want to travel to St. Louis, but check around, someone will make you a deal...
Old 12-08-13, 05:51 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

November sales were up 63.3% compared to previous year http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/12/0...-sales-report/
Old 12-08-13, 07:25 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Without Question My dealer in Alaska hooks me up with $500 over invoice on whatever I want--Ill be on Lexus #4 when I get my 14GX.
Old 12-09-13, 10:52 AM
KickinA
Rookie

I was able to get around 3K off list in the Seattle area, so some dealers are willing to deal. However, I'd be really surprised if Lexus is going to sell a ton of the GX's as they are more a niche market product, due to the V8 gas guzzler engine and truck like driving dynamics. These are Pro's for people that car about having a truck based SUV, but for most people, they probably prefer a car based SUV.

I think more people would consider going with a car based SUV like the MDX, due to its newer design, better fuel economy and general car like handling, and lower price.

If anything, I can see Lexus limiting supply of the GX to keep the pricing up.
Old 12-09-13, 11:32 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

It depends on the dealer. When I went in early Nov. the dealership had 2 , a red and black GX on the sales floor. We test drove one. They had to do a dealership trade for the color combo we wanted. When we picked up our car 2 weeks later. They had 2 new ones on the lot grey and black. White ones are selling fast.

Last edited by iialcii; 12-09-13 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 11:48 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relatively speaking, the GX does sell like hotcakes. Remember, this is the company that invented "just in time" and they stick to it.

When I was buying mine, I figured, surely they must keep about 100 of these at the port at any given time on each coast that dealers can pick from as-needed. Nope. When these things hit port they're either already spoken for, or headed to a dealer.

Lexus doesn't let the GX just sit around or flood the market with units. They have a pretty good idea of how big their market is in this case, and they make their supply just meet demand. Moreso than with the RX and ES, for example. The GX is niche. Easy to adjust supply up or down as needed in a relatively precise manner.

The GX refresh is proving to be very popular right now. If you read the Lexus sales conference notes, this is the most popular time of year for the real Lexus trucks, GX and LX. So supply is tight and dealers can charge what they want. No incentive for them to negotiate. That said, never pay sticker. Jan-Feb is usually a horrible time (relatively speaking) for the car market since most people are starting a new year and paying off holiday debts. If you can afford to wait until the end of Jan, that would be a good time.
Old 12-11-13, 03:43 PM
Buckfever
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrxus
Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
They are negotiating with you, you just don't realize it. The term is called setting an anchor. IMO if price matters you should work with several dealers and be patient.
Old 12-11-13, 03:55 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Reach out to dealers 100-200 miles out and talk with their internet sales manager, usually they give great prices and you get a little road trip to boot, or they may even throw in shipping to you.
Old 12-11-13, 04:21 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
Without Question My dealer in Alaska hooks me up with $500 over invoice on whatever I want--Ill be on Lexus #4 when I get my 14GX.
When are you expected to get your '14 GX? It must be really hard to wait but it'll be worth it...
Old 12-11-13, 08:03 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Trexus
When are you expected to get your '14 GX? It must be really hard to wait but it'll be worth it...
Probably first of the year--they are having a few built right now that will show up mid Jan. We are building one like I want and he said if I want it, its mine if not it will sell lol.
Old 12-11-13, 08:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Sales are certainly up YoY, but "selling like hotcakes"? It still doesn't break 1500 units/month while the Mercedes GL sells 3,500. I'm happy to see advertisements for it finally. I like to see Lexus trying actively to sell something other than the bread and butter...seems like all they care about selling is the RX, IS and ES sometimes.
Old 12-12-13, 06:34 AM
Ceenit
Driver School Candidate

It's all about economics and managing the early supply curve to maximize profitabilty on a rising demand curve. Give it time, and we'll see better pricing, more consistently, and with the abilyt to choose the options we want (versus what 'may' be on a dealers lot.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 GX: Selling like Hot Cakes?? True or False