GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX 460 Luxury or 2014 LX 570

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-13, 07:56 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
The current LX is weird to me. It definitely seems to have its offroad capability neutered compared to the Land Crusier and GX. For example, the LX has 50-series tires and no KDSS. Weak. They definitely spec'd it for rich soccer mom/on road/mall cruising duty. If I could have afforded it, I would have bought a Land Cruiser above all. It is the once and future king. I'd choose a Land Cruiser over the LX. But the GX is kinda like a baby Land Crusier/LX hybrid....some of the Land Cruiser capability, some of the LX luxury, in a smaller more affordable package.....so that works for me.
It has no KDSS because it has AHC. As far as I know LX scores identical on the RTI ramp so it doesn't loose anything compared to KDSS when it comes to off road. Probably even gains some because you can rise the suspension up. Tires can be changed.

P.S. Also in other markets there are Land Cruisers with AHC, similar to LX.
Old 12-09-13, 10:15 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadro
It has no KDSS because it has AHC. As far as I know LX scores identical on the RTI ramp so it doesn't loose anything compared to KDSS when it comes to off road. Probably even gains some because you can rise the suspension up. Tires can be changed.

P.S. Also in other markets there are Land Cruisers with AHC, similar to LX.
That's fine, but one of these things is not like the other.....KDSS is a fully automatic system which actually disconnects the stabilizer bars to allow for articulation. Does AHC function the same way?
Old 12-09-13, 10:29 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

That's fine, but one of these things is not like the other.....KDSS is a fully automatic system which actually disconnects the stabilizer bars to allow for articulation. Does AHC function the same way?
If LX570 is able to get the same RTI score that means AHC is able to flex as much as KDSS. I don't know the intricacies of how it works with AHC but it's certainly not restricting the wheels movement compared to KDSS otherwise how could it score the same on the RTI ramp?

there are some numbers here: https://plus.google.com/+ToshiClark/...jKS2hBWR9?fd=1
Old 12-09-13, 11:31 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Quadro
If LX570 is able to get the same RTI score that means AHC is able to flex as much as KDSS. I don't know the intricacies of how it works with AHC but it's certainly not restricting the wheels movement compared to KDSS otherwise how could it score the same on the RTI ramp?

there are some numbers here: https://plus.google.com/+ToshiClark/...jKS2hBWR9?fd=1
Thanks for the link. Interesting. The Land Cruiser beats them both, but that's not a huge surprise.
Old 12-09-13, 11:37 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Thanks for the link. Interesting. The Land Cruiser beats them both, but that's not a huge surprise.
I think for all practical (off-road) purposes they are identical, the difference is so insignificant:

542 - 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser with KDSS
538 - 2009 Lexus LX 570 with Adaptive Variable Suspension
Old 12-09-13, 11:42 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Yeah but barely in Four Wheeler's figures that has both rated. In fact the Land Cruiser with AHC/AVS beats the Land Cruiser with KDDS. The writer also believes the LX would be a better off roader on paper than the Land Cruiser but that seems to be his opinion.
Old 12-09-13, 11:45 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yeah but barely in Four Wheeler's figures that has both rated. In fact the Land Cruiser with AHC/AVS beats the Land Cruiser with KDDS. The writer also believes the LX would be a better off roader on paper than the Land Cruiser but that seems to be his opinion.
Keep in mind LC with AHC/AVS they have there is a previous gen (2006) model
Old 12-09-13, 11:50 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
Yeah his reasoning was very flawed in that regard and another poster corrected him. The air suspension increases ride height, but does not increase ground clearance because the differential and other structural components remain in the same place. It's not a Transformer lol.
Old 12-09-13, 02:30 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs guys! Unfortunately I wont be taking the GX or LX to do any trailing or off roading. After all the considerations between the two LX or GX. I chose to go with the Fully Loaded 2014 LX for the space and luxury over the GX.. I am bummed that there is no BSM in the damn thing but im sure that will all go away once I take delivery of the LX tomorrow. This is my 3rd Lexus from the dealer, my price was $78,999 + upside down $8,000 on my 2012 ISF, with other dealer stuff I got suckered into buying, OTD price of $88K was hard to resist. Thanks again for all the inputs guys and I look forward to seeing you guys on this side of CL on the SUV forums.

Last edited by aWorkOfArt; 12-09-13 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-09-13, 06:22 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! sweet pick, enjoy the new ride brah! post some pics when you get her...