GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

3rd party hitches

Old 11-20-13, 10:57 AM
BrahmanLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a reference, here is a quote I got from the local stealership (MA) to install hitch receiver on GX460:

Parts & Labor: $740
Labor only: $319

Hitchanything.com has Curt hitch 13043 for $88
Old 11-20-13, 05:38 PM
KickinA
Rookie

That sounds like a dealer rip-off. I ordered the 2014 GX460 OEM tow hitch for $257 from Sewell's instead of the Curt hitch as I wanted all the towing capacity the GX can support.

It should be here in a few days, so I'll let everyone know how the install goes. The only additional thing I need is a torque wrench to make sure I torque the bolts to specification.

Here is the torque wrench I plan to get:
TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-150-Foot/Pound - Amazon.com TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-150-Foot/Pound - Amazon.com
Old 11-22-13, 12:18 PM
BrahmanLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KickinA
That sounds like a dealer rip-off. I ordered the 2014 GX460 OEM tow hitch for $257 from Sewell's instead of the Curt hitch as I wanted all the towing capacity the GX can support.

It should be here in a few days, so I'll let everyone know how the install goes. The only additional thing I need is a torque wrench to make sure I torque the bolts to specification.

Here is the torque wrench I plan to get:
TEKTON 24335 1/2-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 10-150-Foot/Pound - Amazon.com
I am at a cross road. Please let us know how the install goes. Both of my $tealers tell me they have to drop the rear bumper to install which is surprising.
Old 11-22-13, 04:31 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default I am surprised.

Originally Posted by BrahmanLex
I am at a cross road. Please let us know how the install goes. Both of my $tealers tell me they have to drop the rear bumper to install which is surprising.
The instructions on Sewell's site did not show anything about bumper cover removal.

I've attached them below. As soon as mine is on the truck for delivery from the port, I will be ordering this kit from Sewell, and installing myself.

Randy B
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PT22860100.pdf (517.2 KB, 1306 views)
Old 11-22-13, 05:57 PM
BrahmanLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Randy B
The instructions on Sewell's site did not show anything about bumper cover removal.

Randy B
Yes. I have read the instructions too. It boggles my mind having two dealerships both claim the labor is intensive and requires dropping rear bumper which I definitely do not want them to. Unfortunately the auto body shop won't install them for me due to liability issues.
Old 02-02-14, 10:08 PM
KickinA
Rookie

I finally got a hitch bike rack I really like: 2014 Yakima FullSwing

Due to the barn door design of the GX, the key requirement was a swing out design where I could open the rear door fully with the bikes swung out of the way.

I compared this rack to the following:

1) Thule Apex Swing, 9027
2) Thule Apex Swing, 9031
3) Yakima Swing Daddy (2014 version)
4) Yakima Full Swing (2014 version)

I decided against the Thule Apex Swing line because the straps seemed hard to deal with as you had to forcefully put then into place and there is a chance they could pop out of place when driving around. Sort of like super stiff rubber straps that secure the bike frame in place.

I didn't like the Yakima Swing Daddy because there was no built-in lock and I was partial to the all black color. Furthermore, the ability to move the frame mounting brackets along the horizontal bike support arms on the Full Swing is awesome and makes it easy to fit 4 bikes on the rack. The 2014 Swing Daddy has fixed frame mounting brackets and makes it super hard to put 4 bikes on it.

Furthermore, the straps are a ratcheting design which is way easier to deal with than the rubber strap design of the Thule and more secure also.

Overall, I am very happy with the FullSwing.
Attached Thumbnails 3rd party hitches-gx460_yakima.jpg  
Old 02-12-14, 09:33 AM
m500
Rookie

Did Sewells Lexus raise their price on the OEM hitch? Its $350 and not $265 everyone else is quoting here. Just curious as I'm shopping for one to install on my 2014 GX460. Any ideas?
Old 02-12-14, 10:57 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Default That's the straight retail price.

Originally Posted by m500
Did Sewells Lexus raise their price on the OEM hitch? Its $350 and not $265 everyone else is quoting here. Just curious as I'm shopping for one to install on my 2014 GX460. Any ideas?
The CL price is lower than both of what you posted.

Make sure your CL UN is attached to your sewellparts account. I just checked and it's still good.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 07-16-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 05:27 PM
borg1of2
Rookie

Reviving this old thread. I have a '13 GX and as I look at the options, I see the Curt as a bracket receiver that bolts to a mount on the vehicle. I looked under my bumper and I do see where it would mount.

The other is the OEM hitch, which appears to be whole new bracket system, plus receiver.

Is the difference here only the towing capacity?

I assume the wiring is up in there already, but curious on what others who installed the Curt found.

Thanks

Scott
Old 06-29-14, 06:12 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Curt hitch over the weekend. $88 and a 20 minute installation from start to finish. I only need the hitch for my bike carrier and nothing more.
Old 06-30-14, 04:04 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Here's the install I did on my 2014.

Originally Posted by borg1of2
Reviving this old thread. I have a '13 GX and as I look at the options, I see the Curt as a bracket receiver that bolts to a mount on the vehicle. I looked under my bumper and I do see where it would mount.

The other is the OEM hitch, which appears to be whole new bracket system, plus receiver.

Is the difference here only the towing capacity?

I assume the wiring is up in there already, but curious on what others who installed the Curt found.

Thanks

Scott
I installed the Lexus hitch. My 2014 had the wiring in place up under near the spare. I posted a picture of it in this thread in post number 4:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...h-install.html

If your 2013 has the same install for wiring, then the Curt would work. Its the weight rating that would be less, and your trailer wires would need to be a little longer than normal to reach where the wires are presently installed by the factory. The Lexus hitch rearranges where teh wiring harness is mounted and brings it out from up under the rear bumper.

Randy B

Randy B
Old 06-30-14, 10:11 AM
johnandkri
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer Hitch Install GX 460

Dealer installed a Lexus Hitch on our new"14GX460 for $440 including labor.
John
Old 07-16-14, 02:44 PM
Hammer208S
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our local dealer just quoted $525 to install on our 2011. Does anyone know what brand of hitch is the OEM part?
Old 09-05-14, 09:42 AM
planoman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KickinA
I finally got a hitch bike rack I really like: 2014 Yakima FullSwing

Due to the barn door design of the GX, the key requirement was a swing out design where I could open the rear door fully with the bikes swung out of the way.

I compared this rack to the following:

1) Thule Apex Swing, 9027
2) Thule Apex Swing, 9031
3) Yakima Swing Daddy (2014 version)
4) Yakima Full Swing (2014 version)

I decided against the Thule Apex Swing line because the straps seemed hard to deal with as you had to forcefully put then into place and there is a chance they could pop out of place when driving around. Sort of like super stiff rubber straps that secure the bike frame in place.

I didn't like the Yakima Swing Daddy because there was no built-in lock and I was partial to the all black color. Furthermore, the ability to move the frame mounting brackets along the horizontal bike support arms on the Full Swing is awesome and makes it easy to fit 4 bikes on the rack. The 2014 Swing Daddy has fixed frame mounting brackets and makes it super hard to put 4 bikes on it.

Furthermore, the straps are a ratcheting design which is way easier to deal with than the rubber strap design of the Thule and more secure also.

Overall, I am very happy with the FullSwing.
This looks great. My wife just got a GX460 and need a bike rack or 4 which works with the swing out. So can you swing the tailgate out all the way while bike are on this rack? Thanks!
Old 09-05-14, 11:50 AM
kerplunk38
Rookie

I'd recommend the 1UPUSA bike rack over any of these. It is made entirely of aluminum. No plastic that will crack over time like on my old Yakima. It swings down to accommodate our barn door with no problem. It is also lighter than the Yakima that I had in the past.

Originally Posted by planoman
This looks great. My wife just got a GX460 and need a bike rack or 4 which works with the swing out. So can you swing the tailgate out all the way while bike are on this rack? Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3rd party hitches