GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sat in a 2014 GX today, disappointed in the interior material quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 07:44 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think thats a cop-out quite frankly. Leather is not leather, there are different grades of leather. Lexus has three grades here, the one I sat in had the highest available grade, it should be as good and as well stitched as it is in my $4,000 cheaper GS (which also is the higher grade), and quite frankly as good and as well stitched as an UL ES at $14,000 cheaper. I thought it first it was NuLuxe and had to check the sticker. Theres no reason to think that padded vinyl dash and door materials will have a shorter life or be less durable than hard plastic, my 2003 ES is still in the family, going on 11 years old and 170,000 miles and the padded dash and interior materials are as new, as is the double stitched leather which IMHO is higher end than whats in the new GX. I just cannot stand the cost cutting. None of these materials feel more durable, in fact they feel thinner and more fragile.

Its not a Wrangler, its a luxury vehicle, it doesn't need materials that can be beat on and hosed off. I just simply did not feel like I was sitting in a $64,000 vehicle when I was sitting in it, which is disappointing. Other people are alluding to the same issues here so I'm not alone. I sat in a new X5 yesterday too at a similar price point and while its not as capable off road as the GX, nor is it as spacious, the exterior detailing and interior design and quality absolutely blow the GX away. As a Lexus enthusiast that really bothers me.

Again, you can't really hold the GX to a "64k" standard. That's like buying a fully optioned GT500 and saying it doesnt compare well with an LS460. That's because it's based on a plain old $23k Mustang. the GX is, at its core, a 50k truck. and as I've said before, I think it is better than any other 50k truck out there. mine is costing me 55k out the door. for what you get, at that price, for me it is unbeatable.

and people buying X5s should actually be more concerned about the interiors of the base 3 Series....cause that's where they'll be spending a huge portion of their ownership experience (service loaners!)
Old 11-11-13, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Again, you can't really hold the GX to a "64k" standard. That's like buying a fully optioned GT500 and saying it doesnt compare well with an LS460. That's because it's based on a plain old $23k Mustang. the GX is, at its core, a 50k truck. and as I've said before, I think it is better than any other 50k truck out there. mine is costing me 55k out the door. for what you get, at that price, for me it is unbeatable.
While I understand what you are saying, its still a cop-out. My GS is at its core a $47,000 car, but when you sit in the $60,000 luxury model, it feels as nice or better than a lot of competitors cars do at $70,000. Thats what sitting in a Lexus used to be like. A GT500 is not supposed to feel luxurious, a Lexus is. An X5 is at its core a $52k truck.

Not to bring up the Jeep again, but $55k MSRP (so, $47k actual) gets you a Summit model with an alcantara headliner, nappa leather with piping, high end carpeting, leather dash and door panels, and all the same wood trim and display options, more powerful V8. You loose some interior size and of course the third row. Now, obviously Jeep is holding the line on pricing specifically to create that value differential in customer's minds but it makes a point. I would like to see Lexus truly build cars that are the best in their segment...the only thing about the inside of the GX that felt even premium to me was the wood trim...it just shouldn't be that way.

and people buying X5s should actually be more concerned about the interiors of the base 3 Series....cause that's where they'll be spending a huge portion of their ownership experience (service loaners!)
True enough lol
Old 11-11-13, 08:12 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Styling, and material quality are two different things.
Styling and materials are integral parts of the interior design, they are not two different things. The points you make are all valid but to me it simply points out that GX interior is done in a more modern way because it's 2010 design vs 2008 for the LX.
Old 11-11-13, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quadro
Styling and materials are integral parts of the interior design, they are not two different things. The points you make are all valid but to me it simply points out that GX interior is done in a more modern way because it's 2010 design vs 2008 for the LX.
Lower grade materials are not "more modern". The LS was redone in 2013...and used the same high quality materials, as was the GS...same thing and many of the materials were upgraded. The ES and IS were both redone for 2013 and their materials were downgraded to the same cheaper plastics found in those areas of the GX.

Thats like saying compressed wood furniture from Ikea is the same quality as solid wood furniture but its just "more modern". Its cost cutting...and it has no place in a Lexus of any type, not if Lexus really wants to be considered alongside Mercedes, BMW, Audi.
Old 11-11-13, 08:52 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

I think you need to think positive about the vehicle. First you come and complain about BOF design and that it must result in a worst ride and handling compared to your Jeep. Then you suddenly claim you no longer care how it's built?

Then you don't like interior compared to your GS. I just don't see how GX is a vehicle for you with this attitude. I mean what you do is play a zero sum game so what's the point? You're certainly not going to change Lexus' mind by posting here nor do I think you're going to convert any existing GX owner because pretty much all of us here are model enthusiasts.
Old 11-11-13, 09:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My issue is not so much with the GX itself, its Lexus entire direction when it comes to the decontenting of materials in their cars. My reason for posting was to see if there was a difference between the pre-refresh GX and the post refresh GX because I didn't remember feeling that way when I saw one back in 2010. If they continue down this path I foresee a day that I will have to leave the brand, because I want quality not just value. I want the vehicle to feel like something special, Lexus is unfortunately getting away from that at a time when other carmakers are getting more into that.

Its not the vehicle for me for a myriad of other reasons before even getting to this issue, I sat in it because it was unlocked, not because I was looking for one for me.

I think you need to think positive about the vehicle. First you come and complain about BOF design and that it must result in a worst ride and handling compared to your Jeep. Then you suddenly claim you no longer care how it's built?
Again, I don't want to bring this back up but I did not come in here making any statements about the GX being BOF, I entered a discussion that was already underway about the GX being BOF and the likely successor for the GX being unibody. All you guys were saying they would never do that and the rest of the world, blah blah blah and I pointed out that almost universally in the US BOF vehicles were being replaced by unibody vehicles and there were a myriad of reasons why. I never started a discussion or a thread on the topic.

I don't care whether a vehicle is unibody or BOF as long as it suits my needs, it just so happens those needs are typically better suited by a unibody vehicle. If someone were to make a BOF vehicle that did somehow suit those needs I'd buy it without reservation.
Old 11-11-13, 09:00 AM
tmldds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really care whether its BOF or unibody if it suits my needs. My point was that a unibody vehicle has certain plusses when it comes to drivability and people space that is more in line with what today's consumers want, and that a unibody vehicle can be just as capable as a BOF vehicle off road while not having to force the buyer into making certain tradeoffs. But, lets not get into that discussion again.

You seem to think I'm a Jeep fanboy and I'm REALLY not. I like many, many things about the Jeep, but from a reliability and dealer support perspective I'm very unhappy.

Styling, and material quality are two different things. The GX' interior is definitely styled to portray an idea that it is more utilitarian and more rugged than something like a GS. The dash is flatter and more upright, the controls are beefier and chunkier. Thats a matter of taste.

The issue though is cost cutting when it comes to materials. If you feel down the lower door panels towards the map pockets, the lower dash area, and the console area as well as the lower steering wheel trim on the bottom two spokes, and tap on those areas with your fingernails, you will see that its the same grainy hard plastic that is used in the CT, IS, ES & RX. There is a nicer, padded vinyl material that is used in these areas in the GS, LS & LX. That same material used to be used on the GX, ES, RX & IS, its not anymore.

Next look at the general trim around the door handles and the transitions to metal and wood trim, and the additional use of leather on the door panels, dash, console, etc on the LX. That sort of thing is to be expected with the price difference.

The next difference is leather and carpeting quality. You expect that between the GX and LX because of the price difference, but you don't expect that between the GS and GX.
Steve,

I concur with you that the GS appears to have better quality material, but that is more as a result of a major redesign, instead of an update as in the case of the GX. I almost bought a 2014 GS F-sport but decided on the 2014 GX luxury because of its 7-passenger capability and utilitarian benefits since I live in the Gulf Coast where we have a lot more rain and chance of flood. I could pick on a lot of areas where improvements can be had after all, I came from having owned 12 Mercedes over the last 23 years, among them, 2 S's, 1 GL, 1 amg... The S-class material is "better" than my wife's 2013 LS460 and the engine is much quieter, but having had to deal with multiple trips to the Mercedes dealers for repairs over the years, we are both glad to be driving Lexus's now and look forward to a trouble-free ownership. In fact, we did consider the 2014 S, but so glad we chose the LS. Good luck in your search of the "ultimate" vehicle...

Last edited by tmldds; 11-11-13 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 09:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmldds
Steve,

I concur with you that the GS appears to have better quality material, but that is more as a result of a major redesign, instead of an update as in the case of the GX.
And that was the crux of my question, whether the materials were changed when the GX was refreshed for 2014 or if they had always been that way for this generation. Like I said I looked at one in 2010 and didn't feel negatively about it like I did the one I saw yesterday.

Good luck in your search of the "ultimate" vehicle...
Its going to be tough, unfortunately I think I'm going to have to settle for something that checks all the boxes instead of something I really like this time.
Old 11-11-13, 09:08 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Its not the vehicle for me for a myriad of other reasons before even getting to this issue, I sat in it because it was unlocked, not because I was looking for one for me.
Well so you made your choice and what exactly do you want us to do? Convince you otherwise? Make us feel bad about our cars because you feel bad about it?

Imagine me going over to Jeep forum and telling people they drive paper weights... I have no interest in doing it because what's the point?

I think you want Lexus reliability but in a different shape or form. Part of the problem, as I see it, is GX is so reliable precisely because it's based on the Prado which is constantly tested in a very harsh conditions and reliability improvements are made because of that so I'm willing to do the trade off and you're not.
Old 11-11-13, 09:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well so you made your choice and what exactly do you want us to do? Convince you otherwise? Make us feel bad about our cars because you feel bad about it?

Imagine me going over to Jeep forum and telling people they drive paper weights... I have no interest in doing it because what's the point?
Thats absolutely not what I'm doing, and theres nothing for you to do. I sat in the new GX, had a question about material quality in the refresh, I posted it and it was answered. If you don't want to read my posts or threads...don't read them. Plenty of people post all kinds of viewpoints on the Jeep forums. Lots of critical posts there, which is fine.

I promise you that Lexus responds to feedback. They are already making big improvements to Toyota line vehicles because of complaints about interior material quality, which had gotten very bad at Toyota IMHO.

I think you want Lexus reliability but in a different shape or form. Part of the problem, as I see it, is GX is so reliable precisely because it's based on the Prado which is constantly tested in a very harsh conditions and reliability improvements are made because of that so I'm willing to do the trade off and you're not.
What I would like is Lexus reliability in a Lexus three row SUV that is more carlike on the road, and with more adaptable seating options. I've been a Lexus owner for many years, Lexus is my brand. You keep acting like I'm some Jeep fanboy, and I'm not...I've owned 5 Lexuses and one Jeep. I bring up the Jeep here because thats the experience I have when it comes to this segment.

Every Lexus is reliable, the GX is not especially reliable because its based off of the Prado.
Old 11-11-13, 10:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think perception plays a lot in this. I'm almost sure if I go and sit in 13 GS I might feel it "lacking" too but simply because the interior is done differently. The dash and windows trim on GX is not hard plastic... I can easily press it with my thumb and it flexes. What exactly is hard plastic on GX which isn't on the LX?
Perception does play a big factor, while the GS is nice, it sometimes feels that tbe materials are not solid like Lexus or Toyota vehicles in the past. The GS materials are nice but I always thought that they feel as tho they would break. The GX is a tougher built quality IMO

From what I have seen, the GX looks it will last after years of abuse whereas the GS is very delicate and you need to not bring your kids or touch anything.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-11-13 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 10:53 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys all play in to this guy, Ignore his posts and he'll go elsewhere to complain where he can get attention.
Old 11-11-13, 11:24 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Every Lexus is reliable, the GX is not especially GS reliable because its based off of the Prado.
This is perhaps the dumbest thing I have heard all year. I don't see many GS cars driving around in the tough terrain that the Prado drives.

The GX components are far beefier than the GS parts.
Old 11-11-13, 11:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This is perhaps the dumbest thing I have heard all year. I don't see many GS cars driving around in the tough terrain that the Prado drives.

The GX components are far beefier than the GS parts.
I'm not comparing the GS and GX for reliability reasons, I'm saying the GX is not reliable only because its based on the Prado. All Lexus vehicles for the most part are very reliable.

The GX is not "tougher" because it shares low end plastic interior materials with the ES. Thats like the argument in the 3IS forum that they removed all the electronic luxury features to make it "a purer drivers car". Its cost cutting. I'm not talking about chassis or suspension components, I'm talking about seat materials and design, and the dash and door panel material.

Perception does play a big factor, while the GS is nice, it sometimes feels that tbe materials are not solid like Lexus or Toyota vehicles in the past. The GS materials are nice but I always thought that they feel as tho they would break.
I totally don't see that, I've owned a lot of Toyota/Lexus vehicles and outside of the LS, the GS is certainly the most "solid" Lexus Toyota product I've ever had. All the interior materials are solid and high quality, the leather is thick and the seat bolsters are sturdy. Nothing sensitive to scuffing or abrading. Mine has 15k miles on it now and exhibits no seat leather wear or other interior wear, which was not the case with other Toyota/Lexus products I've had.

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
You guys all play in to this guy, Ignore his posts and he'll go elsewhere to complain where he can get attention.
LOL, I've been posting on Lexus forums for over 10 years, and I administrate a different Lexus forum. I'm not a troll.

I'm not trying to stir trouble up here guys, I had an observation and a question...thats all.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-11-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-11-13, 12:17 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
It's the first time I was thinking to go lookup for the ignore list ;-)

Quick Reply: Sat in a 2014 GX today, disappointed in the interior material quality