GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13

Old 10-21-20, 03:03 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts
Lightbulb GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13

I joined the group buy for the GROM vline2 unit and received it last week.
The installation isn’t bad and straight forward. There are many videos on youtube on how to remove the NAV and Radio unit.
Similar to the unit for ‘14+, the VLine2 came with all the cables and GPS antenna and basic instructions.
One thing to note, for my 2010, I don’t have blue connector on the NAV system so I didn’t fully use the Y cable and just plugged directly in.
The cables are plenty long. Too long in fact and I spent the majority of the time trying to figure how to run and mount the microphone and GPS antenna.

Some thoughts
- Initial boot up is fairly quick
- Out of the box, it had some kinks - hanging on certain app (youtube) and required a hard reboot.
- Carplay is slow with wireless (initial setup)
- After update VLine to new version and downloaded the latest GAPPS, it is much better. More responsive.
- Waze and Google map work nicely in native mode.
- After download new youtube app from Google App Store, it works much faster.
- I turned off Bluetooth for now and only use the factory youtube. I also turned off wireless Carplay since wired is much faster.
- When switching between AUX and other input or engaging backup camera, you see a flash screen of vertical lines which could last about a sec, sometimes but not always. Some people reported back screen when bootup or change input and it was because of a bad video cable. GROM will sent out replacement cable.
- Using my phone hotspot works nicely
- I ran the usb cables through the little open pocket at the factory usb connector and drilled a hole there to ran them out.
- I put the unit in the glove compartment for now and will velcro it to the top. I thought about putting it behind but don’t want to open every thing if I need to switch a bad usb cable or hard power the unit.
- I mounted the microphone on top near the Start switch.
- The screen resolution is not bad, probably 360 and youtube videos look pretty good on it.
- Overall I like it. Different than stock for sure and there are some features/app that I’m going to try, like Apple Airplay, still figuring out how to work it.

-
Attached Thumbnails GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13-img_0367.jpg   GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13-img_0370.jpg  

Last edited by bbqsoup; 10-21-20 at 03:08 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
Acrad (10-21-20), hzhao (10-21-20), kode3 (10-21-20), LokiGx (10-21-20), MrTorgue (10-22-20), RustCohle (10-27-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-21-20, 03:11 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

So the Grom unit uses separate mic instead of OEM one? How about if it can be on OEM audio source while using native Waze or Google nav as Lsailt unit does?
Old 10-21-20, 04:37 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Yes it has its own mic for google assistance and other voice command apps.

Originally Posted by hzhao
So the Grom unit uses separate mic instead of OEM one? How about if it can be on OEM audio source while using native Waze or Google nav as Lsailt unit does?

I tried but I don't see a way for this to work. You mean you can listen to say FM radio or BT audio streaming with factory BT while the screen still display Google Map from GROM? It can't do that. If I use it's BT then I can stream and and use map at the same time or via Carplay.
Originally Posted by hzhao
How about if it can be on OEM audio source while using native Waze or Google nav as Lsailt unit does?
Old 10-21-20, 05:01 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Yes it has its own mic for google assistance and other voice command apps.

I tried but I don't see a way for this to work. You mean you can listen to say FM radio or BT audio streaming with factory BT while the screen still display Google Map from GROM? It can't do that. If I use it's BT then I can stream and and use map at the same time or via Carplay.
with Lsailt system, it uses OEM mic for all the function include Siri. It also has the ability to listen to other audio sources from OEM while display android app (such as Waze, google maps) include CarPlay. There is where a small speaker with Lsailt systems for, to still provide turn by turn nav instructions and other android audios.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
bbqsoup (10-21-20), Ramacher (02-26-21)
Old 10-21-20, 07:27 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

That is a nice feature of Lsailt. I’m still trying to figure how things work with the Grom. The internet radio app is pretty good. I downloaded some OBD2 app to try and some connected to my elm27 device but the dashboard doesn’t load nor function.
Still many things to play with.
Btw does the Lsailt turn off when you turn off the car? The Grom stays on for a really long time.
Old 10-21-20, 08:18 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
That is a nice feature of Lsailt. I’m still trying to figure how things work with the Grom. The internet radio app is pretty good. I downloaded some OBD2 app to try and some connected to my elm27 device but the dashboard doesn’t load nor function.
Still many things to play with.
Btw does the Lsailt turn off when you turn off the car? The Grom stays on for a really long time.
Lsailt unit will standby for 3 minutes, then shutdown.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (10-22-20)
Old 10-22-20, 12:19 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I hope they will implement a firmware to have the power option enabled/disabled as "Quick Boot" or just turn off all together. It stays a bit warm in the glovebox.

Edit: Per GROM, this draws about 7 milliamps and stays up for 12 hrs to allow quick boot. It doesn't draw enough to really affecting the battery.

I also found out that the Red Button Speech to Text is not working when in Carplay. Maybe this is because of Siri but it would be nice to see it works in all mode.

Carplay wireless is not that bad but when I connected it, BT is a bit whacky - For some reason BT was connected without Media play. Even though deleted and re-paired many times as well as reset wifi and BT too; I finally did a hard reboot by pulling the power and oair them again and it works. I'm using wired Carplay for now.

Also in wireless carplay, internet/wifi is not working. It's not as easy to really disconnect from wireless carplay - it keeps reconnecting - to have wifi connect back to your hotspot. Wired Carplay disconnects as soon as you unplug.

I tried different Launcher app, Car Web Guru and didn't like it much.
Old 10-22-20, 01:24 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 213 Posts

I just ordered mine through this round of group buy. So what’s the screen response / limitation that I should expect? I’m ASSUMING scrolling / pinch zoom will be not possible..?

I literally only wanted carplay so this unit should fit the bill. Any thoughts about splicing in the provided MIC wire in with the factor MIC? And or use a better quality MIC? I’ll assume it uses a 3.5mm plug?
The following 2 users liked this post by MrTorgue:
bbqsoup (10-22-20), RustCohle (10-27-20)
Old 10-22-20, 01:29 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

For my 2010, the screen response it not as fast as newer models. Basically, I can't touch, hold the scroll. In Waze, I can touch off center and the map will shift to that point but not scrolling. There's a scroll arrow on the side for most apps that you can use to scroll down.

The mic that comes with it use 3.5mm and works really well with Google Voice Assistant. After I trained google for with my voice it works extremely good and the text to speech is nice as well. Like in CarPlay, I can send message just by speaking normally. I have the mic route out and installed on top of the Start button - running the cable out from behind that switch when I popped it out.

Originally Posted by MrTorgue
I just ordered mine through this round of group buy. So what’s the screen response / limitation that I should expect? I’m ASSUMING scrolling / pinch zoom will be not possible..?

I literally only wanted carplay so this unit should fit the bill. Any thoughts about splicing in the provided MIC wire in with the factor MIC? And or use a better quality MIC? I’ll assume it uses a 3.5mm plug?
The following 2 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
MrTorgue (10-22-20), RustCohle (10-27-20)
Old 10-22-20, 02:04 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by MrTorgue

Since GX touch screen is resistive based, there is no way to provide multi touch support. So you are correct, no pinch zoom can be implemented. Drag and swap works on my 2014 GX with Lsailt unit, not sure if prior version of GX touch screen response sensitivity. Resistive touch screen is mainly designed for single touch only function.
The following 2 users liked this post by hzhao:
MrTorgue (10-22-20), RustCohle (10-27-20)
Old 10-22-20, 06:34 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I finally got wireless Carplay to work and have internet at the same time, via hotspot.
I also have both factory BT and Vline2 BT connect at the same time. When Carplay connects and receives a call, it shows carplay screen.

YouTube works awesomely with home wifi or hotspot and internet radio isn’t bad either - many local stations are on there too.

So far so good.

Oh yeah. I velcro’ed it to the top of the glovebox. Liking it so far.

Last edited by bbqsoup; 10-22-20 at 06:37 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bbqsoup:
Acrad (10-22-20), hzhao (10-22-20), RustCohle (10-27-20)
Old 10-27-20, 08:31 PM
schrek
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also got the Vline installed this weekend. I did some function checking with it, but didn't take it for a drive. My wife drove the GX this am and noticed that her proximity sensors aren't working now. I didn't unplug anything that I shouldn't have (I don't think), has anyone else had this happen?
The following users liked this post:
RustCohle (10-27-20)
Old 10-28-20, 05:36 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by schrek
I also got the Vline installed this weekend. I did some function checking with it, but didn't take it for a drive. My wife drove the GX this am and noticed that her proximity sensors aren't working now. I didn't unplug anything that I shouldn't have (I don't think), has anyone else had this happen?
If nothing else, that would be somehow the Vline box didn’t pass the proper CAN bus signals. You may need to unplug the main harness cable to Vline box to re-set it. Make sure all connectors between head unit and Vline box are all secure.
Old 10-28-20, 01:38 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Does it have internet? I found out that while Maps and Waze work without internet for some extended but their orientation is a bit messed up. Like the vehicle icon in Waze is sideway or the map orientation is not pointing North in Google Map etc... Once it connected to my phone hotspot, everything worked like normal.

How about your OEM Nav, does it work too?

Originally Posted by schrek
Old 10-28-20, 01:47 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

I just updated to the latest Vline2 3.27. Upon rebooted, the whole screen has a greenish overlay to it and I had to pull the power and hard reset to get back to normal.
I also installed Ring native app and it works pretty good. However I couldn't get out of LIVE camera mode on Ring once I activated it. It could be the Ring issue as the touch screen isn't being compatible.
Amazon Prime works but I can't get out of fullscreen but Netflix is no longer available.

I also been playing with wireless Carplay and with the latest update, it's pretty fast and internet via phone in wireless Carplay is not bad either. I was able to play Youtube videos fine with some minor drops. Some one in the GS forum replaced the wireless antenna on the unit with a high-gain one and he mentioned it is faster and much more stable. I may look into that too.

The Google Map is a bit washout in both Native and Carplay compare to Waze and Apple Map and I'm still tuning the brightness. There are some quirks with some apps but mostly due to the limitation of Lexus touchscreen.

I hope they put in an On/Off button on the unit since I had to hard reset it quite a bit playing with it. Is there a hidden combo buttons that can power cycle it?

Also I'm looking at the front camera that GROM is offering too. Has any one installed one with the unit?

Last edited by bbqsoup; 10-28-20 at 01:50 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GROM VLINE2 for 2010-13