Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Rear Suspension Rattle

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-14, 03:35 PM   #46
Quadro
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ON
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgergen View Post
I bought a new '14 GX460 Luxury and mine makes that noise too. LOL I guess I will have them check the rear stabilizer links during my first oil change.
Make sure it's not the chain hitting the spare tire, 14 is way too early to think about any bushing issues.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Quadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 10:06 AM   #47
Lolrax
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: AB
Posts: 226
Default

Okay I am back, my GX is still clunking and rattling like nobody's business its SO tiresome.

Anyways, I got an appointment with Calgary's new Lexus dealership, Lexus of Royal Oak and these guys are awesome. After getting ignored by Lexus of Calgary, I couldn't believe the level of service these guys offered me, it was above and beyond so thumbs up to them. They really cared about my problem, the shop foreman drove with me for 20 minutes finding places to replicate it and it was a great experience all around.

I paid for 2 hours of labour to diagnose this damn thing and they believe it a swaybar bushing that is connected to the KDSS system. They feel that this is the culprit and are going to be installing the bushing next week as it is being shipped from the United States. Fingers crossed this marks the end of it, what a pain. On the other hand, this is a lot cheaper than new shocks so here is hoping it works.

Last edited by Lolrax; 02-21-14 at 10:11 AM..
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 10:32 AM   #48
amccaulx
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolrax View Post
Well, I got the car back yesterday and the clunking still exists. The dealership called me and said that they the sound was much better (it is) but there is still a very notable clunking noise. It no longer rattles but it clunks. This makes sense to me because the sound becomes less noticeable when I switch it to sport mode from comfort.

Further investigation by the dealership showed that the shocks in the rear are cooked, and I'm sure the ones up front aren't far from cooked. So it looks like I am going to have to replace them. Mine are the adjustable ones, are there aftermarket options for this?

So much for certified pre-owned
My wife's 2006 GX470 does this, and just had it diagnosed as blown shocks. It currently has 83k miles. What does yours have?
amccaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 10:47 AM   #49
Quadro
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ON
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolrax View Post
Okay I am back, my GX is still clunking and rattling like nobody's business its SO tiresome.

Anyways, I got an appointment with Calgary's new Lexus dealership, Lexus of Royal Oak and these guys are awesome. After getting ignored by Lexus of Calgary, I couldn't believe the level of service these guys offered me, it was above and beyond so thumbs up to them. They really cared about my problem, the shop foreman drove with me for 20 minutes finding places to replicate it and it was a great experience all around.

I paid for 2 hours of labour to diagnose this damn thing and they believe it a swaybar bushing that is connected to the KDSS system. They feel that this is the culprit and are going to be installing the bushing next week as it is being shipped from the United States. Fingers crossed this marks the end of it, what a pain. On the other hand, this is a lot cheaper than new shocks so here is hoping it works.
Lexus should have made bushings replacement a part of regular maintenance. While you'll be replacing yours I'd ask them to replace the bushings all around ( two pairs front, one pair rear).
Quadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-14, 01:35 PM   #50
Lolrax
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: AB
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccaulx View Post
My wife's 2006 GX470 does this, and just had it diagnosed as blown shocks. It currently has 83k miles. What does yours have?
50,000 Miles. It also has the air shocks, and while I have heard of them being gone this early it just seems too early. I am going to pray this works

I had them check everything including the shocks because I was worried that it may be the same issue as your wife's and they gave it all the okay in terms of functioning correctly.
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 09:38 AM   #51
amccaulx
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolrax View Post
50,000 Miles. It also has the air shocks, and while I have heard of them being gone this early it just seems too early. I am going to pray this works

I had them check everything including the shocks because I was worried that it may be the same issue as your wife's and they gave it all the okay in terms of functioning correctly.
Have they checked the KDSS system for seapage? I forgot to mention earlier that our GX's KDSS does have some seepage, and if replacing the obviously bad shocks doesn't fix our problem first, then the KDSS system is the next thing to check.

When are you getting your Swaybar bushings replaced? I have been thinking of doing that as well if the shocks don't fix it, and before I drop $1500 to service the KDSS. With all of the research I have done on the clunk we are experiencing, quite a few people have mentioned Sway Bar Bushings as being the cause of their similar issue.

Here is Lexus's "Repair Plan" for me:

Click the image to open in full size.

Frickin Lexus Suspension parts are expensive!
amccaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 05:45 AM   #52
cejens1
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: IN
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolrax View Post
Okay I am back, my GX is still clunking and rattling like nobody's business its SO tiresome.

Anyways, I got an appointment with Calgary's new Lexus dealership, Lexus of Royal Oak and these guys are awesome. After getting ignored by Lexus of Calgary, I couldn't believe the level of service these guys offered me, it was above and beyond so thumbs up to them. They really cared about my problem, the shop foreman drove with me for 20 minutes finding places to replicate it and it was a great experience all around.

I paid for 2 hours of labour to diagnose this damn thing and they believe it a swaybar bushing that is connected to the KDSS system. They feel that this is the culprit and are going to be installing the bushing next week as it is being shipped from the United States. Fingers crossed this marks the end of it, what a pain. On the other hand, this is a lot cheaper than new shocks so here is hoping it works.
Any updates on your swaybar bushings; did this resolve the rear clunking issue? I am eagerly awaiting your results as I am having the same issue with my '09 KDSS!
cejens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 10:14 AM   #53
Lolrax
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: AB
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amccaulx View Post
Have they checked the KDSS system for seapage? I forgot to mention earlier that our GX's KDSS does have some seepage, and if replacing the obviously bad shocks doesn't fix our problem first, then the KDSS system is the next thing to check.

When are you getting your Swaybar bushings replaced? I have been thinking of doing that as well if the shocks don't fix it, and before I drop $1500 to service the KDSS. With all of the research I have done on the clunk we are experiencing, quite a few people have mentioned Sway Bar Bushings as being the cause of their similar issue.

Here is Lexus's "Repair Plan" for me:

Click the image to open in full size.

Frickin Lexus Suspension parts are expensive!
That issue you noted is precisely mine.
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 10:15 AM   #54
Lolrax
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: AB
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejens1 View Post
Any updates on your swaybar bushings; did this resolve the rear clunking issue? I am eagerly awaiting your results as I am having the same issue with my '09 KDSS!
My appointment got pushed back to mid next week due to a part not being there in time. I will PM you/update this thread when I get the service!
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 09:39 AM   #55
Lolrax
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: AB
Posts: 226
Default

Success!! I got the sway end link bushing replaced yesterday and I am 100% clunk free. In total, I have spent almost $1000 on parts, labor, diagnosis, cab rides, etc. and over 4 days of having my car at the service department of various dealerships to deal with a $100 fix.

A really special thanks to the guys at Lexus of Royal Oak in Calgary for really taking the time to diagnose and solve the issue as opposed to just going for the most expensive potential fix. The service was phenomenal, and I would recommend them to anyone.

It means a lot after I was turned away from Lexus of Calgary TWICE with no diagnosis and zero effort other than "Customer is hearing spare tire sound, tightened spare tire and resolved the issue".

I also received no response from the Lexus of Calgary service manager, general manager and used car sales manager after pleading for some assistance with this issue which presented itself the day I drove this "Certified pre-owned" car off the lot with a broken sway bar link on the right and a failed bushing on the left. /endrant

Here is the photo of the work order for our collective records
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Lolrax; 03-14-14 at 09:47 AM..
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 10:37 AM   #56
patgilm
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 786
Default

This might be a dumb question but if it was certified pre-owned why did you have to pay $1,000? Wouldn't it be under warranty?
__________________
Current Vehicles
2008 LS600hL Starfire Pearl/Cashmere (sold, best car I have owned)
2012 GX460 Premium Starfire Pearl/Sepia
2013 GTR Premium White/Black
1997 Viper GTS Blue/White Stripes (sold)
patgilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 11:24 AM   #57
Lolrax
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: AB
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post
This might be a dumb question but if it was certified pre-owned why did you have to pay $1,000? Wouldn't it be under warranty?
I wasn't eligible for any sort of warranty except for a bit of powertrain. Maybe that is different for other CPO people? The car also came with an aftermarket k&n air filter which was CAKED in dirt, despite the fact that they said it was checked on their certification checklist.
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 11:34 AM   #58
patgilm
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 786
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolrax View Post
I wasn't eligible for any sort of warranty except for a bit of powertrain. Maybe that is different for other CPO people? The car also came with an aftermarket k&n air filter which was CAKED in dirt, despite the fact that they said it was checked on their certification checklist.
Most CPO cars come with a 3 year / 100k warranty that is why I was asking. That is one of the main benefits of getting a CPO car.
__________________
Current Vehicles
2008 LS600hL Starfire Pearl/Cashmere (sold, best car I have owned)
2012 GX460 Premium Starfire Pearl/Sepia
2013 GTR Premium White/Black
1997 Viper GTS Blue/White Stripes (sold)
patgilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-14, 12:13 PM   #59
Lolrax
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: AB
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post
Most CPO cars come with a 3 year / 100k warranty that is why I was asking. That is one of the main benefits of getting a CPO car.
This is from the dealer's website which is what I received:

Quote:
Of course, every "Lexus Certified Pre-Owned" purchaser is entitled to the privileges of Lexus ownership including a minimum of 24-Hour Roadside Assistance for a period of 2 years, and 2 year / 40,000km (24,854 Miles) powertrain coverage from the date you purchased your Lexus Certified Pre-owned vehicle. An Optional "Lexus Certified Pre-Owned" Extended coverage is also available. Click here to learn more about Lexus Extra Care Protection Plans.
You will also enjoy this joke about "Why buy Canadian?"

Quote:
Only Canadian Lexus vehicles sold by a Canadian Lexus dealer qualify for the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned Program. This includes a 132-point inspection insuring your vehicle will be ready to handle any and all conditions you may encounter. Don't be fooled by other dealerships claiming to have Lexus Certified vehicles. Lexus carefully selects certain standard features and/or options that are best suited for Canada's climate and driving conditions, including:
•Heavy duty battery and alternator
•Cold weather unique engine intake
•High capacity window washer fluid reservoirs
•Added paint chip protection
•Upgraded weather stripping
•Cold region engine coolant used
•Lexus Genuine All Weather Floor Mats
•All leather seats are heated
•Heated mirrors
•The majority of US vehicles use 2-wheel drive. In contrast, the majority of Canadian vehicles use 4-wheel drive.

Last edited by Lolrax; 03-14-14 at 12:17 PM..
Lolrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-14, 05:55 AM   #60
cejens1
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: IN
Posts: 5
Default

Another success story to share; I too just installed new bushings on the rear sway bar and my clunking is 100% gone! A very special thanks to Lolrax for his dedication to finding the right diagnosis AND sharing his solution on clublexus.

On a side note, I had a very similar experience to that of Lolrax. I purchased this "certified pre-owned" 09 KDSS about a month ago. Of course after the purchase was complete, I then noticed the clunking. When I took it to the dealership for repair, I got the same run-around. They told me the spare tire was loose and that they 'tightened the rear suspension', charged me $65 and sent me on my way - this obviously did not resolve the clunking issue. The dealer indicated they could not charge the cpo warranty because no part had failed. So much for a cpo warranty, huh?! I must say, I'm pretty disappointed in Lexus after my personal experience and reading about the others on this thread sharing the same issue. With some very light google research on 'suspension clunking', sway bar bushings are pretty much always the number one culprit - this issue is not isolated to Lexus or the KDSS GX470. So the question is, why are Lexus certified technicians struggling so much with such an easy fix?! I am certainly no mechanic however, I was able to swap out both rear bushings in my garage in about a half hour.

My previous Lexus purchases have all had remaining time on the factory warranty (4yr/50k). If there was ever an issue, no questions were ever asked and I was certainly never charged for improper diagnosis. Sadly, this will likely be my first and last Lexus CPO purchase.
cejens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-14, 05:55 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2003, 390, 460, bad, drive, forum, gs, gx, lexus, liner, rattle, rattles, rear, sequoia, shocks, suspension, test, wheel, worn

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust finishers/tips rattle over bumps - any way to quiet them? matt310 IS F 4 06-11-10 08:00 AM
Too Many Rattles-help! Faman21 IS - Second Generation 15 08-13-08 05:01 PM
rattle under the hood Bill Ayres LS400 2 10-26-07 09:50 AM
99 LS400 front suspension rattle MadMax96 LS400 6 12-22-06 06:15 PM
Front rattle over small bumps--wierd amul Suspension and Brakes 20 02-28-06 08:16 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:55 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info