GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

White Dust from Vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-11, 08:37 AM
GXOwner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White Dust from Vents

Anyone noticed white dust particles on their dash and interior from the vents notably when the A/C is on. It accumulates about a week and I can see it. It's not regular dust, but are very small white specs kind of powdery-like. I read that RX owners complained about this issue and it is due to the evaporator which is located behind the dash. In order to change the evaporator the dealer will need to disassemble the entire dash and as a result caused many scratches and dings on the dash and trim. Many RX owners were upset and thought it was better to live with this dust issue then get their car back with scratches and dings.

Some RX owners said even when a new evaporator, the issue returns as the factory uses this material to seal the vents so after a while the dust returns. I haven't read anything on this issue with the GX so am I the only one noticing this white dust? Had our GX for about 10 months and started noticing this couple months ago.
Old 08-27-11, 09:06 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The 2006 RX 400h we owned for over four years before the GX had that problem, but we have not noticed it in our 2010 GX 460. We solved the problem in the RX by frequently replacing the cabin air filter, but spraying it first with Frigi-Fresh® which coats the filter with a sticky residue that traps tiny dust particles. In addition, it deodorizes and kills airborne organisms in the HVAC system.

<http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html>

I did change the filter in the GX and noticed that the fan is available for inspection and cleaning via the access panel inside the glove box. In case of severe contamination, e.g., a vehicle that is not garaged and is parked under trees ... you may need Frigi-Clean®. It is a foaming product that fills the HVAC system with cleaning solution, which sounds drastic, but that's better than disassembling the entire dashboard, right?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-13-13, 06:44 PM
scfz1000
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, isn't the filter before the evaporator (i.e,. air flows through the filter, then fan, then evaporator). I'm only guessing but if it was then coating the filter would not help...but just a question in terms of how the air flows...
Old 05-27-13, 11:02 AM
azmn
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 350 White Dust

Originally Posted by GXOwner
Anyone noticed white dust particles on their dash and interior from the vents notably when the A/C is on. It accumulates about a week and I can see it. It's not regular dust, but are very small white specs kind of powdery-like. I read that RX owners complained about this issue and it is due to the evaporator which is located behind the dash. In order to change the evaporator the dealer will need to disassemble the entire dash and as a result caused many scratches and dings on the dash and trim. Many RX owners were upset and thought it was better to live with this dust issue then get their car back with scratches and dings.

Some RX owners said even when a new evaporator, the issue returns as the factory uses this material to seal the vents so after a while the dust returns. I haven't read anything on this issue with the GX so am I the only one noticing this white dust? Had our GX for about 10 months and started noticing this couple months ago.
I have the same issue on my RX 350-2007. Dealer confirmed it is coming from the evaporator and needed to be replaced. it is replaced and i still get the white dust particle. it not as bad as before though. I have done chemical analysis on the white dust, it is aluminum. guy told me it is a lot he sees from the analysis. I am ready to sell this car and get something else.
Old 06-26-13, 02:26 PM
monacokid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azmn
I have the same issue on my RX 350-2007. Dealer confirmed it is coming from the evaporator and needed to be replaced. it is replaced and i still get the white dust particle. it not as bad as before though. I have done chemical analysis on the white dust, it is aluminum. guy told me it is a lot he sees from the analysis. I am ready to sell this car and get something else.
Have the same issue with my 2007 ES350. Dealer removed dash and replaced evaporator. Did not help. Dealer said Lexus was designing new product. After a year I told them I was still getting specks and wanted to know if Lexus had redesigned the evaporator. They said bring it in and they removed dash again and replaced evaporator again. This has been going on for years and the A/C still emits the white dust specks. I believe I am having lung problems brought on by the dust specks and am seeking medical help. Is anyone else have the white dust specks having any medical issues.
Old 09-29-13, 07:13 PM
Simpreet22
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone had luck with the filter changes to avoid the little white specks that come out?