GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official GX 2014 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 12:05 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm never a fan of the GX but I may consider this one to replace the RX. Current RX looks nice but can't really accept the ride difference. Overall it looks pretty good. IMO the straight frontal view looks a little bit deceiving due to the level of the camera.
Old 08-26-13, 12:26 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by patgilm
So if the chart is accurate, the pricing of the "premium" model stayed the same as the prior year base model but you lose the power third row seats and the retractable mirrors that the prior year base model had? Then again, I guess you get the LED headlights so that is a plus.

It seems like people are happy with the new "standard" model's pricing but are people really going to be paying $50k for this SUV without leather, heated/ventilated seats and nav? Once you add those things in the price is basically the same as the premium model. I do like the fact that you don't have to have power third row seats which lowers the cost since to me having these powered is not a big deal. I just wonder how many people are really going to get a "standard" model for $50k without these features. Is the Nuluxe seating surface what is in the CT that is kind of rubbery? I just don't see why some are so happy about the new pricing, of course it is less because you are getting less. However, more options are better for people than less options.
Price a 2013 "base" model with NAV, 3-zone AC, and park assist, then tell me the 2014 "Premium" is not a better value. Several thousand dollars less, feature-for-feature! The only thing you're "giving up" is power seats.
Old 08-26-13, 12:31 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Price a 2013 "base" model with NAV, 3-zone AC, and park assist, then tell me the 2014 "Premium" is not a better value. Several thousand dollars less, feature-for-feature! The only thing you're "giving up" is power seats.
That is the information I was looking for, more of an apples to apples and it seems like from what you are saying that it is several (not sure how much several is) thousands less which is a good deal. The power third row seating does nothing for me, it is nice but I would rather have a few thousand off and just have it be manual. Not sure why the Luxury model has to be so high though, it would have been nice to have a reduction in price there as well.
Old 08-26-13, 08:02 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14

The new 2014 Lexus GX 460 will be sold for a base price of $49,995, including a $910 destination fee, according to a company press release.

The base price represents a $4,710 price decrease from the 2013 model.

The 2014 Lexus GX 460 Luxury option will be sold for $61,625, including the destination fee. The Luxury option comes with a blind-spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert, an adaptable air suspension, and navigation assistance according to Lexus.

Lexus expects the 460 to compete with the 2013 Land Rover LR4, which is sold for the same price as the 460.

Another similar model, the 2014 Mercedes-Benz GL450, is advertised with a sticker price of $64,805, including a $905 destination fee.

The redesigned GX 460 comes equipped with new LED headlights, daytime running lights, and a refurbished grille according to Lexus.

Inside the vehicle customers will find a new touch-screen display with an 8-inch screen, triple zone climate control, rear cross traffic alerts, HD Radio, phone book and vehicle information display, and Bluetooth audio.

~ Cap
Old 08-26-13, 08:51 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone experienced LED headlights? Are they just as bright as HID's?
Old 08-27-13, 04:23 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Booyah
Has anyone experienced LED headlights? Are they just as bright as HID's?
Ditto, also is the color spectrum the same as Xenon?
Old 08-27-13, 06:02 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think Lexus really did their homework and made the GX more available to a wider range of customers based on the price (very smart). You can now spend almost the same amount on a base model GX as many other SUVs that are on the market. You also have the choice to get a reasonably equipped model for a reasonable amount more. Then you still have the option to get a loaded model.

Depending on how much you use the third row, the manual option was an excellent way to reduce overall price. Too bad the manual option is not available on all models. Also cutting the cost by offering non-leather and still having the two leather interiors optional is smart thinking. I am thinking that Toyota learned from their mistake when they cut costs on the 4Runner by just removing feature and using cheaper materials. The LED headlights is another great way to reduce the cost (the adaptive HID system is VERY expensive). As far as comparing LED and HID, I can tell you, the new LEDs are amazing. I just replaced the high beam/DRLs (9005) to the latest PNP 50w LED bulbs and they insane. I actually think they are brighter than the OEM HIDs and are rated to last 50K hours.

As far as the optional suspension (air springs); if you carry a big family and/or cargo, and/or tow, it is worth every penny. I do not see the AVS system anywhere in the specs. I find this system to also to be worth having when loaded and/or towing. I hope it was not eliminated. Also the ML is still optional on all models. Overall, I think Lexus has really put a lot thought into the changes for the 2014 GX. I would not be surprised if this makes a huge difference in sales and the future for the GX as far as going crossover.

As far as the new look, I need to see one in person to judge if I really like it (I liked the drawings). Seeing real pictures now has made me think the changes are a little too aggressive/boy racer (for a luxury SUV). Time will tell!

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 08-27-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 07:05 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I price the 2013 base and add nav, convenience and comfort packages, brings total to 59K, which makes the 2014 premium pricing (which more or less includes these 2013 packages) very, very attractive.
Old 08-27-13, 08:01 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by flyfishman
When I price the 2013 base and add nav, convenience and comfort packages, brings total to 59K, which makes the 2014 premium pricing (which more or less includes these 2013 packages) very, very attractive.
Bingo.....
Old 08-27-13, 08:22 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfishman
LOL
lexus is playing the field.
thats basically the current base version and its not the current premium.
and the current base has backup parking sensors, etc, AND electric folding seats.
they actually increased the price if you think about it. They took away lots of standard features
and made them only available on the luxury.

they cut price by cutting stuff out, adding it slowly back in, to get different versions here, and they are doing a good job of confusing you here
Old 08-27-13, 08:41 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

http://www.carscoops.com/2013/08/201...-face-and.html

video of some chump driving it.

i think i will get the tungsten pearl this time. sick of white for some reason now!
Old 08-27-13, 09:44 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T4Fun
LOL
lexus is playing the field.
thats basically the current base version and its not the current premium.
and the current base has backup parking sensors, etc, AND electric folding seats.
they actually increased the price if you think about it. They took away lots of standard features
and made them only available on the luxury.

they cut price by cutting stuff out, adding it slowly back in, to get different versions here, and they are doing a good job of confusing you here
You obviously can't do math. Feature for feature, the MY2014 "Premium" represents a substantial savings (about $3000!!!!) over a similarly equipped 2013 with Nav, 3-zone Air, and Park Assist (which is optional, NOT standard on the 2013 base). Do you homework and math before LOL'ing!
Old 08-27-13, 10:15 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

LED vs. HID.

I have had BOTH LED (in RX450h) and HID (in RX350) and when comparing them side-by-side the HID is about 5-10% brighter and more focused - not enough to say it is way-better. When looking at them the LED is 100% better (sexier and meaner).
Old 08-27-13, 11:04 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
LED vs. HID.

I have had BOTH LED (in RX450h) and HID (in RX350) and when comparing them side-by-side the HID is about 5-10% brighter and more focused - not enough to say it is way-better. When looking at them the LED is 100% better (sexier and meaner).
I have LED headlights in my LS600 and had HIDs in my LS460 prior to that. I don't really notice a difference in light output either although it has been said that the LED headlights in my LS were not as bright but it is probably old technology by now and they probably make them at least equivalent to HIDs now. But I agree, the LEDs look cooler!
Old 08-27-13, 11:16 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The 50w LED replacement bulbs (9005) I just put in, just came on the market in June this year. I have never seen an LED so bright. They are every bit 1800 lumens (each)! I had 100w quartz bulbs prior and these LEDs are much brighter.

Koz

Quick Reply: Official GX 2014 Pictures