GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New To Lexus Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 09:07 AM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Lexus Which One?

Hi, I'm new to Lexus and wanted some advice. I am currently in a Range Rover, but have started to have problems with it, and think I will like the GX. I've been looking for a few weeks, and I have found these 2, both certified which is what I want. One is a premium and one I guess is a base. Is the Mark Levinson system worth the extra money? Doesn't appear either has DVD screen's, so I'm not sure what it means by a DVD/CD changer. The base has a 'Convenience Package' while the premium doesn't, but the premium does have the Intuitive Park Assist, is that part of the 'Convenience Package'?

Its about $1k difference, but the premium has about 15k miles more. I'm leaning towards the base since it has lower miles, but I'm having trouble seeing why this premium is priced as much as this base with 15k less miles?

Compared
http://www.lexusoforland.com/Compare...&id=1950629203

Premium
http://www.lexusoforland.com/Vehicle...-IL/1967826093

Base
http://www.lexusoforland.com/Vehicle...-IL/1950629203
Old 05-26-13, 02:45 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice choices! I have a lot less experience than many here, as I have only had my GX a few months. It does look like the Premium has a tow package, if you need that. It does appear that the Base you are looking at has Intuitive Park Assist. That is a very usable feature that my 2010 Base has. This system has both audio and a visual display. I have a similar system on another vehicle, a newer Ford Taurus, and that one even lowers the radio when the system is engaged. It is very nice.
The Base appears equipped very similar to mine, except I do not have the remote start.
Whichever you choose, I think you will find this vehicle to be very well thought out. I drove it last night in the pitch dark in rural VA for the first time, (no streetlights) and the adaptive headlights are amazing. To say this truck is smooth, comfortable and quiet is an understatement. My wife was asleep in 15 minutes!
The one I bought in March had about half the miles of the base you are looking at (19,000), which was extremely low, but I did pay several thousand more. Either way I think you will be very pleased, I certainly am. Good luck with your purchase!
Old 05-26-13, 07:48 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SpokeBroke
Nice choices! I have a lot less experience than many here, as I have only had my GX a few months. It does look like the Premium has a tow package, if you need that. It does appear that the Base you are looking at has Intuitive Park Assist. That is a very usable feature that my 2010 Base has. This system has both audio and a visual display. I have a similar system on another vehicle, a newer Ford Taurus, and that one even lowers the radio when the system is engaged. It is very nice.
The Base appears equipped very similar to mine, except I do not have the remote start.
Whichever you choose, I think you will find this vehicle to be very well thought out. I drove it last night in the pitch dark in rural VA for the first time, (no streetlights) and the adaptive headlights are amazing. To say this truck is smooth, comfortable and quiet is an understatement. My wife was asleep in 15 minutes!
The one I bought in March had about half the miles of the base you are looking at (19,000), which was extremely low, but I did pay several thousand more. Either way I think you will be very pleased, I certainly am. Good luck with your purchase!
Great thanks for the reply. I'm going to test drive them this week, just wanted some feedback before I spoke with the dealer.

What is the parking assist? It's not the auto parallel parking feature is it? What's the adaptive headlights? I'm unfamiliar with this feature, are they both Xenon? I've read about radar detected cruise control, is that available on the GX? Also, is the feature for a lane drift warning standard on GX? Sorry for all the questions, I'd rather ask them here before I speak to the dealer. Eitherway I'm sad to see my range rover goes as its been a great joy owning, but spending 2k a trip to get things repaired a few times a year is something I (hopefully) will not miss.
Old 05-27-13, 10:38 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoRy
Great thanks for the reply. I'm going to test drive them this week, just wanted some feedback before I spoke with the dealer.

What is the parking assist? It's not the auto parallel parking feature is it? What's the adaptive headlights? I'm unfamiliar with this feature, are they both Xenon? I've read about radar detected cruise control, is that available on the GX? Also, is the feature for a lane drift warning standard on GX? Sorry for all the questions, I'd rather ask them here before I speak to the dealer. Eitherway I'm sad to see my range rover goes as its been a great joy owning, but spending 2k a trip to get things repaired a few times a year is something I (hopefully) will not miss.
Parking assist is the sensors in the front and rear bumpers. It beeps when you get close to something. Adaptive headlights move when you turn a corner. I don't think it's available on the base model without xenon lights, but not sure. Xenon headlights are standard on the premium, not the base model. Laser cruise control is an option, but I haven't seen it on many GX's. I've only seen it on one that I can think of.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-13, 12:20 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
Parking assist is the sensors in the front and rear bumpers. It beeps when you get close to something. Adaptive headlights move when you turn a corner. I don't think it's available on the base model without xenon lights, but not sure. Xenon headlights are standard on the premium, not the base model. Laser cruise control is an option, but I haven't seen it on many GX's. I've only seen it on one that I can think of.

Good luck!
Ok thanks. I drove this one today, its a nice car. I asked the dealer what the difference was between these 2. One has 32k miles, the other 46k miles, but are only $1k different. Any clue what it could be? He said the grey one (what I drove) is listed at $48k but its advertised at $42,900 so he will do that price (I tried not to laugh).

I drove this one.

1k difference for this one, which 15k more miles.
http://www.lexusoforland.com/Vehicle...-IL/1950629213

I don't really like the white interior, showed dirt pretty easily. Is it because of the Tow Package? Anything else could be the difference? Exterior color?
Old 05-27-13, 03:57 PM
Craig B

Ok thanks. I drove this one today, its a nice car. I asked the dealer what the difference was between these 2. One has 32k miles, the other 46k miles, but are only $1k different. Any clue what it could be? He said the grey one (what I drove) is listed at $48k but its advertised at $42,900 so he will do that price (I tried not to laugh).

I drove this one.

1k difference for this one, which 15k more miles.
http://www.lexusoforland.com/Vehicle...-IL/1950629213

I don't really like the white interior, showed dirt pretty easily. Is it because of the Tow Package? Anything else could be the difference? Exterior color?
The only thing that stood out, the second one has a tow hitch. I would ask if the first one has a factory navigation system in it. It kind of sounded like it was added on? Look on E bay as well to see what the market is like. I wouldn't get in a hurry, look around.
Old 05-27-13, 05:17 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One of them appeared to have chrome wheels as well.
Old 05-28-13, 08:01 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the consensus here is that if you tow then premium makes sense because of air-leveled suspension. It should also provide a better ride by the means of AVS (adjustable suspension). But this very AVS is sometimes why people stay away from the premium model as well because it's a big ticker item if something goes wrong as it's a complicated setup.
Old 05-28-13, 11:43 AM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone, appreciate the input.

I'm def willing to buy one if I find the right one, but not going to jump into anything. As I have done more research, there seems to be plenty that are all comparable within 200 miles of Chicago, so I'm not too worried if I miss this one. I have actually found a 10' Premium with 22k miles or so for 50k. I think that price might be a little high, so I might try to negotiate it down a little.

I'm still confused between the base with some options and a premium. I don't really care about the adjustable ride, but I do want Navigation, Wood trim, heated/cooled seats, rear heated seats, rear climate control and prefer DVD in the rear (but this seems rare with Lexus). Is it right to assume that the premium will have most of the available packages that some of the base models have added?

Last edited by ChicagoRy; 05-28-13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-28-13, 12:16 PM
Craig B

I'm def willing to buy one if I find the right one, but not going to jump into anything. As I have done more research, there seems to be plenty that are all comparable within 200 miles of Chicago, so I'm not too worried if I miss this one. I have actually found a 10' Premium with 22k miles or so for 50k. I think that price might be a little high, so I might try to negotiate it down a little.

I'm still confused between the base with some options and a premium. I don't really care about the adjustable ride, but I do want Navigation, Wood trim, heated/cooled seats, rear heated seats, rear climate control and prefer DVD in the rear (but this seems rare with Lexus). Is it right to assume that the premium will have most of the available packages that some of the base models have added?
In my opinion, you would be better off going with a premium. I would sell you mine, but I'm waiting for a 2014 model. Mine has 12,000 miles on it.
Old 05-28-13, 12:40 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you can get pretty much all of it with the Base version except AVS, rear air-leveling suspension and front headlight washers. The difference is that premium comes with all options included and base allows you to be flexible with what you want. If you go to www.lexus.com and "build your GX" you'll get an idea of what add-ons are available on the Base.
Old 05-28-13, 01:36 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
In my opinion, you would be better off going with a premium. I would sell you mine, but I'm waiting for a 2014 model. Mine has 12,000 miles on it.
WOW, only 12k...... I've had my 12 for 10 months and I have 15k on it already, and it's not my only vehicle!
Old 05-28-13, 01:58 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
WOW, only 12k...... I've had my 12 for 10 months and I have 15k on it already, and it's not my only vehicle!
Yeah, I don't drive mine much and I also have a LS 460 to drive as well...
Old 05-28-13, 03:30 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Yes I agree, I think I am going to focus on a premium if I can find one with lower miles, less then 40k, but I'm not going to rule out a base with the right packages. Good suggestion about building my own so I know which package includes which.

This is the premium I was talking about, I might go see how much they will give me for my Rover and what kind of financing I can get. I thought all premiums had the chrome wheels but this one doesn't appear to have them?

http://web.automarksolutions.com/wa/br/?ID=1169314

So far my impression about the Lexus owners, they are a loyal bunch, which is great news for someone who has never owned one before. Again thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 05-28-13, 04:26 PM
Craig B

Yes I agree, I think I am going to focus on a premium if I can find one with lower miles, less then 40k, but I'm not going to rule out a base with the right packages. Good suggestion about building my own so I know which package includes which.

This is the premium I was talking about, I might go see how much they will give me for my Rover and what kind of financing I can get. I thought all premiums had the chrome wheels but this one doesn't appear to have them?

http://web.automarksolutions.com/wa/br/?ID=1169314

So far my impression about the Lexus owners, they are a loyal bunch, which is great news for someone who has never owned one before. Again thanks for all the suggestions.
None came with chrome wheels, I ordered mine from US Wheel Exchange and had my Lexus dealer install them...

Quick Reply: New To Lexus Which One?