GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone convert your foglights to something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 10:41 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Well I installed the same LED Bulbs Koz purchased and all I can say is WOW! They look awesome! The DRL's look so much better than the PIAA's I had in there and much much better than stock. To the naked eye on a cloudy day the high beams looked much brighter than the PIAA's did but I have not been out at night yet to see the difference while driving. I was running PIAA 9005 Xtreme White Plus 60W=120W bulbs before I put the LED's in.
The high beams are INSANE!

Koz
Old 08-29-13, 10:50 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i just cant understand why lexus cant put leds on the gx EVERYWHERE. Whats so hard about it?
Doesnt look like they did this even on 2014 version.
Old 08-29-13, 10:56 AM
Koz

Manufactures probably buy bulbs by the millions and their cost for let’s say 194 bulbs is pennies. It is just a matter of money!

Koz
Old 08-29-13, 02:36 PM
gxgonz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Update; I installed the bulbs and all I can say is, "these bulbs are insane!". I took pics but they did not come out where you could see how impressive they are. I will take better pics and post them. The DRLs are MUCH brighter and pure white (a perfect 5K kelvin). When you hit the high beams, these bulbs become insane. They are brighter than the HIDs and when you hit the high beams, they illuminate everything within direct sight of the bulbs. The only negative is when the DRL’s are on, there is a little pulsing of the light (barely noticeable). I have no problem with that considering how well they light. I have never seen a high beam so bright!

BTW - If anyone is looking to convert their quartz low beam (on the base model) to HID, I strongly recommend you save you money and get these LEDs. I never thought LEDs could outperform HIDs. These bulbs took about 10 min to install. There is no modding needed. The only thing you would need is a couple self-drilling/tapping sheet metal screws to attach the little controller box to a metal support brace (near the fixture).

Koz
I just ordered http://www.vleds.com/cxa-led-headlights.html which I think are the same as what you have. After emailing with V-LED they told me about http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...r-adapter.html which should fix the flicker problem. When mine come in I will let you know if they flicker in DRL mode. I am excited to see how well these guys perform.
Old 08-30-13, 07:12 AM
Koz

The flicker is so subtle; I do not even see it anymore. If I am not mistaken the little black box that came with my bulbs is an adapter for the lower voltage (LEDs do not need a ballast). Without the adapter, LEDs would not fire because of the reduced voltage for the DRLs. I am completely satisfied with these bulbs. I will be purchasing them for my scooter (uses two H4 hi/low headlight bulbs). I have two 130w quartz bulbs in there now.

Koz
Old 08-30-13, 09:42 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by gxgonz
I just ordered http://www.vleds.com/cxa-led-headlights.html which I think are the same as what you have. After emailing with V-LED they told me about http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...r-adapter.html which should fix the flicker problem. When mine come in I will let you know if they flicker in DRL mode. I am excited to see how well these guys perform.
They look like the exact same bulb (at twice the price)!

Koz
Old 08-30-13, 06:00 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The flicker is so subtle; I do not even see it anymore. If I am not mistaken the little black box that came with my bulbs is an adapter for the lower voltage (LEDs do not need a ballast). Without the adapter, LEDs would not fire because of the reduced voltage for the DRLs. I am completely satisfied with these bulbs. I will be purchasing them for my scooter (uses two H4 hi/low headlight bulbs). I have two 130w quartz bulbs in there now.

Koz
leds do have a led driver module for DRLs and brake lights.
for single leds however, you dont need a driver, but may need a resistor
Old 09-12-13, 08:34 AM
gxgonz
Rookie

Put the lights in and am very impressed! I also put in http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...r-adapter.html to keep them from the slight flicker. Well it boosted the volts while in DRL mode so they are actually on high beam while in DRL. It was actually blinding to look at in the daylight in my garage so I decided to remove the in line capacitor and deal with the slight flicker. As Koz has stated before it is very slight and you have to look for it. My eyes can see it better when viewing from peripheral vision and can't see it as well directly looking at it.
Old 09-12-13, 09:44 AM
Koz

What is weird is when you look directly at the right side bulb, it is not flickering and you can see the left side slightly flicker (peripherally). Then when you look at the left side bulb, it is the opposite. Some kind of phenomena! Anyway, I don’t even notice it any more. Amazing bulbs!

Koz
Old 09-16-13, 07:09 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
OK I got all the info. The only change on the specs is they are 3600 lumens TOTAL (1800 each). These bulbs are $52 a set plus DHL shipping. I ordered 2 sets for a total of $149.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/11...light_50w.html

Koz
Confusing How did you get them seems like a strange site im skeptical
Old 09-17-13, 05:28 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by LexusVet
Confusing How did you get them seems like a strange site im skeptical
Send an email and they will tell you how to order. They will be shipped directly from China. They must be the same bulbs being sold by vleds for more then double the price.

Koz
Old 09-17-13, 05:58 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Send an email and they will tell you how to order. They will be shipped directly from China. They must be the same bulbs being sold by vleds for more then double the price.

Koz
I followed what Koz did, had them in about 5 days from ordering.
Old 09-18-13, 04:17 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Be careful: You may be onto something but take a couple of things into consideration:

1) Just because something looks the same, doesn't mean it's the same.

2) From experience, many vendors in China claim to use CREE diodes - but lie through their teeth, or don't even know what they are selling.

3) Warranty - You're dealing with overseas.

Having said that, you my have a good find - I honestly don't know, just speaking from experience.

Steve
Old 09-18-13, 05:22 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Be careful: You may be onto something but take a couple of things into consideration:

1) Just because something looks the same, doesn't mean it's the same.

2) From experience, many vendors in China claim to use CREE diodes - but lie through their teeth, or don't even know what they are selling.

3) Warranty - You're dealing with overseas.

Having said that, you my have a good find - I honestly don't know, just speaking from experience.

Steve
Thank you, that is good advice. I actually did consider what you wrote before buying them and was willing to take my chances. It seems the vleds bulbs are exhibiting the same slight flicker and look identical to these bulbs. Time will tell!

Koz
Old 09-18-13, 07:09 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds good.

Steve

Quick Reply: Anyone convert your foglights to something else?