GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-14, 11:10 AM
dstock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, I haven't put the rears on yet but should have an update next week.
Old 06-07-14, 09:19 AM
dstock
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rears are on. had some noise from the parking brake but it went away after pushing the parking brake a couple times. The creep is still there but it is slightly better and it definatley stops quicker.

I feel I could have gone with the severs duty/towing pads as these LTS pads are not a huge difference.
Old 05-07-15, 06:25 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor Lateral Runout when installing front brakes

Do you have to check for lateral runout very time you replace the rotors with new ones? After a year of installing my slotted/dimpled front rotors I have pulsation and steering wheel vibration at 50-55mph. I resurfaced them, cleaned the hub and the rotor surface, torqued them to specification (76 ft-lbs) and after 250 miles of moderate traffic I still get the vibration. The rotors are made by EBC (they have slots and dimples) and the brakes are made by Akebono. EBC recommended to have a shop do an on-car lathe, I don't know if Lexus dealers do that. What do you recommend to solve this issue?
Old 05-08-15, 10:46 AM
closenough
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default ECB Rotors

I installed ECB rotors on my 2011 GX (since traded in) and had a similar problem. Measured for runout and it was well within tolerance yet the vibration persisted. I traded it in but I believe that a rotor cut while on the vehicle would have resolved the issue. Though I could not find a local shop that performed the cut while installed on the vehicle. The local Lexus dealer did not have that capability. I remember doing some research on this and there is a general perception that Toyota front ends have little tolerance for any runout.

I know that after I traded in my 2011 GX for a 2014 the dealer simply replaced them with OEM rotors before reselling it.

Oh, one other point. You need to get different lug nuts to measure runout as the stock ones bottom out without having the wheel on.

Best of luck,

Joe
Old 05-09-15, 06:40 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Was EBC at all willing to replace them? In 99% of situations like this a mechanic would be inclined to replace the rotors. Since yours are brand new I'm sure you don't want to do that, but it sounds like they're warped.

Which Akebono pads are you using? Some compounds can be harder on rotors, and while in general ceramic pads should dissipate heat better than other compounds, maybe you've done some damage to the rotors over the year. Just a thought.
Old 05-09-15, 03:12 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Jacket;9032653

Which Akebono pads are you using? Some compounds can be harder on rotors, and while in general ceramic pads should dissipate heat better than other compounds, maybe you've done some damage to the rotors over the year. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]
I am using the ProACT 976 Premium Pads
Old 05-17-15, 08:55 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default EBC Rotors and Yellow Stuff Pads

After giving some thoughts since last summer when I upgraded my front rotors and pads, I now have EBC Rotors and their Yellow Stuff pads on all four corners. So far, so good. I am still going through the bedding in period. Here are some pictures of the old and new.

The new EBC rotors. The ones on the left are the rear rotors and the ones on the right are the front rotors.

backside of EBC rotors

Rear right rotor.

Close-up of rear right rotor.

Rear and front yellow stuff pads.

Close-up of the front pads with 2 slits.

Rears pads

Front pads

The black coating eventually comes off after a few stops. But those first few stops are extremely annoying.

EBC right front rotor

old front ceramic pads. As you can see, they only have 1 slit.

thickness of old front ceramic pads.

Old rotors. Still in very good condition. Only have about 6k miles on them. I am keeping them, just in case.

backside of old front rotors

Close-up of old front rotor

Old rear pads. Another reason why you should check them.

Last edited by 11GX460; 05-18-15 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Switched old rear pads photo for a more dramatic one
Old 05-17-15, 10:35 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice rotors how much for the rotors? And how much for the pads? Why you change the rotors when its has only 6k miles? Would they last longer than that? Did you have any viabration when stop at high speed on these rotors? Thanks
Old 05-18-15, 05:58 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Thanks for the detailed post 11GX460. I am sure that I am due for new brakes and not sure if I want to deal with it myself or just pay someone to handle the minimum stock parts needed.

I am an aggressive driver and good brakes are a necessity. I am impressed with the stopping ability of the GX with stock brakes so I am content.

Please explain why this is an advantageous upgrade.
Old 05-18-15, 06:13 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ohiois350
Nice rotors how much for the rotors? And how much for the pads? Why you change the rotors when its has only 6k miles? Would they last longer than that? Did you have any viabration when stop at high speed on these rotors? Thanks
The front pads were about $106, the rear pads were $58. The front rotors were $301, the rear rotors were $231. Total was about $850, including labor. Not a bad, even though I really didn't need to change it. In hind sight, If I had changed my rear rotors and pads last summer, I probably would not have upgraded. However, from what I read, EBC rotors and yellow stuff pads are really good, and I wanted a complete set on all four corners; that's why I replaced the fronts, even though there was very little mileage on them. And yes, they do stop very well -perfect for upcoming road trips this summer. Rotors and pads depend on your driving style and what you do with your vehicle. Mine would've lasted much, much longer than 6k. Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-15, 06:27 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tecman
Thanks for the detailed post 11GX460. I am sure that I am due for new brakes and not sure if I want to deal with it myself or just pay someone to handle the minimum stock parts needed.

I am an aggressive driver and good brakes are a necessity. I am impressed with the stopping ability of the GX with stock brakes so I am content.

Please explain why this is an advantageous upgrade.
According to EBC, their yellow stuff pads and rotors are made for track use and won't fade under heavy usage. It's the zero brake fade that sold me since the GX is a heavy vehicle. If it's good enough for the tracks, it's more than good enough for me. And that's another reason why I upgraded. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/yellows...nd-track-pads/
Old 05-18-15, 06:33 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by tecman
I am an aggressive driver and good brakes are a necessity.
By the way, Tecman, your posts on this site suggests that you are a calm and patient driver; however, your truck says otherwise.
Old 05-20-15, 12:07 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I put the yellow stuff pads paired with Centric rotors on my 80-series last fall, and I've generally been happy with them. There is definitely improved bite and less "seat of the pants" fade over where I was, but I'm still on the fence as to whether it's worth the significant extra cost over an OEM Land Cruiser pad.

Are the old pads you replaced OEM?
Old 05-20-15, 07:56 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Jacket
I put the yellow stuff pads paired with Centric rotors on my 80-series last fall, and I've generally been happy with them. There is definitely improved bite and less "seat of the pants" fade over where I was, but I'm still on the fence as to whether it's worth the significant extra cost over an OEM Land Cruiser pad.

Are the old pads you replaced OEM?
The old pads from the front were not OEM since I replaced those last summer due to the "creeping" effect when I came to a stop. I replaced the front OEMs pads with ceramics, which were nice, but I wanted the EBC yellow stuff after I started reading up on them.

The old rear pads and rotors were replaced for the first time, by me at least. And I believe those were OEMs.

I agree that EBCs are priced much higher than generics and even OEMs, but so are other brand names like Brembo. In my book, if it prevents fading or help you stop a few feet shorter, then it's worth it.
Old 06-09-15, 11:00 AM
KHawser
Driver School Candidate

Default Dust?

Do you see any difference in dust production with these vs. OEM?

Quick Reply: Rotors