Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - Second Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

State Farm Insurance "Drive Safe and Save" Program

Old 04-19-13, 04:11 PM   #1
SaniDel
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

Default State Farm Insurance "Drive Safe and Save" Program

State Farm is offering an immediate 5% discount for enrolling in their Drive Safe and Save program. This involved installing an In-Drive module in the diagnostic connector underneath the dashboard so that our vehicle can be monitored, with the potential for further discounts. The appended photographs show what is involved, which is simple to do, but it may be months before our usage data can be useful and certainly a long time before a potential 50% saving is realized:

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/a...-safe-save.asp

As expected, when I called to register for this service, they attempted to sell me several subscription services, all of which I declined as they duplicate services already available from Lexus Enform.
Regards,

SaniDel
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Attached Images

SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 12:32 PM   #2
Craig B

I also have State Farm and they offered me the same deal, no thanks...

2007 LS 460
2014 GX 460 Luxury
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 12:53 PM   #3
SaniDel
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I also have State Farm and they offered me the same deal, no thanks...
I won't try to talk you into it, but here are the facts about our initial experience:

1. As soon as we signed up for this program, our premium was reduced 5%. As we were due to renew our premium at the end of this month, we received a new statement that was indeed reduced 5% so we realized that discount before paying the bill.

2. Data from the In-Drive connector is accumulated continually, even when the vehicle is parked and the engine is off so it is traceable with the vehicle locked, e.g., on a flat-bed tow truck.

3. Analysis of driving data could result in as much as a 50% discount on our premium. That remains to be seen, but that would be over $500 per year ... not an insignificant savings ... if realized.

4. There is no cost that I can determine for at least a full year, then State Farm offers to continue the program for a monthly fee. My presumption is that within a year we will realize a significant savings based on our driving and decline the service after the first year.

There are a few disadvantages ... besides the obvious attempt to upsell subscription services and the monthly fee after the first year:

1. The In-Drive connector draws power continually ... it is warm to the touch all the time. That could be a problem in a marginal cold start situation with a weak battery.

2. A clever thief could break into the vehicle, discard the In-Drive connector and steal the vehicle on a flat-bed tow truck without starting the engine, which would obviate the security features.

3. Twice a year we need to remember to remove the In-Drive connector when our GX goes in for service!

I'll update this thread over the coming year after driving data is accumulated and discounts are realized.
Regards,

SaniDel
SaniDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-13, 05:00 PM   #4
Craig B

Okay, that sounds good, Progressive has the same kind of system. I feel kind of like big brother is watching how and when you drive, so I wouldn't be interested. Let us know how it works out. I didn't know they wanted to charge a fee after the first year. I tossed the offer in the trash.

2007 LS 460
2014 GX 460 Luxury
Craig B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 05:38 AM   #5
Eppieguy
Lead Lap

I personally know of two people who ran those things, I call it BS, they do work but they want you to drive like a 80 y/o and end up telling you that you are an aggressive driver, no thanks. Good luck with it.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 06:56 AM   #6
rockydog
Rookie

It's a monitoring device, plain and simple. Car insurance companies wouldn't invest in them if there wasn't something in it for them.

Expect health insurance companies will come out with some implant soon that does the same thing. Monitors what you eat, drink, or smoke, then gives you a few bucks off if you go vegan.
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-13, 06:56 AM

Tags
2012, cost, discount, drive, farm, farms, insurance, lexus, lfa, program, review, reviews, safe, save, state, statefarmcomdrivesafeandsave