Keyless Access Security Threat

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-13, 05:56 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Keyless Access Security Threat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f6Zq...ature=youtu.be

This video shows burglars accessing multiple vehicles using keyless access ... just like the keyless access system on the GX 460. We access our vehicle the same way every day ... hold the door handle and in a fraction of a second the doors unlock, the interior lights go on and the security system is disarmed. To all appearances, the person unlocking the vehicle behaves like the owner of the vehicle ... there are no tools, no use of force and no delay. These heists could occur in broad daylight on a busy street and no one would notice.

Is the keyless access system on the GX 460 at risk? Do we know if whatever gadget/technique/exploit they are using works on the GX 460 as it did on these vehicles?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Notice there is no mention or evidence that the vehicles were started, much less driven. Perhaps their "secret weapon" only unlocks the doors, but can't be used to start the vehicle?

Last edited by SaniDel; 04-05-13 at 06:04 AM. Reason: provided YouTube version of video
Old 04-05-13, 06:13 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

One of the comments on the YouTube video claims that the vehicles being attacked are Honda Acuras and speculates that the attackers hacked the 'Keeloq' system used by that manufacturer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeeLoq
The wikipedia article claims that Keeloq is used by Toyota, but it doesn't mention Lexus. It also claims that KeyLoq has been successfully compromised and is now superseded by higher security systems.
Old 04-05-13, 07:25 AM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Is the keyless access system on the GX 460 at risk? Do we know if whatever gadget/technique/exploit they are using works on the GX 460 as it did on these vehicles?
Regards,
As a new 2013 GX-460 owner i Iwould also like to know if the keyless system is at risk.
Old 04-05-13, 08:05 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by OrangeKid
As a new 2013 GX-460 owner i Iwould also like to know if the keyless system is at risk.
I'm at the Lexus of Wilmington dealership now showing them this video. They have heard nothing from Lexus about this. As this exploit is old news and the KeeLoq system has been superceeded, perhaps we can breath a sigh of relief ... until the next exploit!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-05-13, 11:32 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

KeyLoq was cracked long before the GX 460.

Here's a report from April 2008 about how KeyLoq was used since the mid-1990's and cracked a decade later with the specific statement that "... Toyota/Lexus base their anti-theft protection on assumed secure devices featuring KeeLoq.":

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...curity-systems

I'm willing to assume that Lexus uses something better and more secure now ... until proven wrong!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-05-13, 12:16 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_key
Old 04-05-13, 05:50 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this on the news tonight and they showed BMWs and GM vehicles getting hit, so this "hack" is working on several makes. They spoke to a guy who specializes in in encrypted car keys sand he didn't know how it's being done. Expect cops will nab someone using one of these boxes and they can analyze it. Don't think you can reprogram a vehicles locking system so they will remain vulnerable. May need to go back to 1980 and pull out your old steering wheel lock!
Old 04-06-13, 07:27 AM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
This video shows burglars accessing multiple vehicles using keyless access ... just like the keyless access system on the GX 460. We access our vehicle the same way every day ... hold the door handle and in a fraction of a second the doors unlock, the interior lights go on and the security system is disarmed.
Can the door handle unlocking and locking system be disabled? I may want to just use my FOB unlock and lock buttons until it is verified that the security system on the GX-460 has not been compromised.
Old 04-07-13, 10:59 AM
khiroshima
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple thoughts . . . I understand the concern for our relatively expensive SUVs, but I don' t think we really have to worry too much

-First of all, this is what I have insurance for, someone steals my vehicle, I just get another one
-Second, one of the key drivers (pun intended) of stealing a vehicle is its value in parts as opposed to the whole. The GX is hardly a Civic/Accord in terms of adoption, so the parts market is extraordinarily small as compared to other vehicles
-I also doubt that a GX would be targeted for a "joy-ride" vehicle, so this knocks out another type of vehicle thief

Thanks for the information, but I probably won't lose any sleep over this one. JMO, KH
Old 04-07-13, 03:44 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"Second, one of the key drivers (pun intended) of stealing a vehicle is its value in parts as opposed to the whole."

...Well, kinda true. Many SUV's are put in containers and shipped overseas, not chopped. But you're point is correct. Keep the vehicle insured. If a thief wants any vehicle, it's gone.
Old 04-07-13, 05:12 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockydog
If a thief wants any vehicle, it's gone.
Well said, RockyDog! If anyone has doubts, here's how quickly a brand-new LX570 disappeared, without a trace ... while under security camera surveillance:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...carjacked.html

Last edited by SaniDel; 04-08-13 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-08-13, 06:29 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Can the door handle unlocking and locking system be disabled? I may want to just use my FOB unlock and lock buttons until it is verified that the security system on the GX-460 has not been compromised.
Yes. You should be able to take it to a dealer and have them disable the smart access system.
Old 04-08-13, 07:25 AM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by offroad200
Yes. You should be able to take it to a dealer and have them disable the smart access system.
Thanks. I may get Lojack instead, after reading about dochusar's experience.
Old 04-08-13, 09:16 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I may get Lojack instead, after reading about dochusar's experience.
Excluding dochusar's experience (which wasn't technically a theft since they had the keys) some major things you have to look for with the keyless stuff:

1. The rolling codes for Toyota got cracked from time to time. Every time you open your car the signal from a keyfob can be intercepted (nearby parked car, someone standing next to you with a briefcase, etc.) and the next sequence can then be generated tricking the car into thinking the legitimate keyfob is being used. For this method I believe it's actually safer to open your car using door handles because the signal gets transmitted over a shorter distance.

2. Your keyfob signal can be relayed over long distances. Basically a guy standing next to you will have a receiver/amplifier in his briefcase which will transmit the signal of your keyfob over hundreds of feet to a guy standing next to your car. Again, the car will think as if legitimate keyfob was next to it.

3. Service centers can upload additional keys into your car's brains using special equipment. A couple weeks later a guy will just drive your car as he was the owner.
Old 04-08-13, 12:36 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...less-bmw-gone/

Quick Reply: Keyless Access Security Threat