GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Keyless Access Security Threat

Old 04-08-13, 03:55 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Well said, RockyDog! If anyone has doubts, here's how quickly a brand-new LX570 disappeared, without a trace ... while under security camera surveillance:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...carjacked.html
The detail shop left the key on the windshield or inside the vehicle, the code wasn't broken...
Old 04-09-13, 07:10 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Be careful where you park (I ALWAYS park at the furthest/isolated parking spot). Only use the (inside) lock button on the door to lock your vehicle (not remote). If the area is in question (mall, etc.), use a "Club".

Koz
Old 04-09-13, 07:54 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Our local Lexus dealer sent an email out to customers during the holidays that some cars at the local mall were getting broken into by thieves getting the codes to cars. Not sure how true it is but if a thief wants something they will get it. I would also rather have my truck stolen and never recovered than to get it back not knowing if anything is messed up or worse that it was wrecked and that I have to get it fixed. I don't keep valuables in my cars and I get tired of driving the same thing after a couple years so as long as my insurance covers the theft I am not too worried about it.
Old 04-09-13, 08:24 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently this relies on a number of issues:

1. The BMW alarm has a dead zone which allows thief to break the glass in a special place without triggering the security system. Oversight by BMW.
2. Once the glass is broken they use a service port to upload new keys, another oversight by BMW. It looks like this got fixed in the latest sw updates.
3. The car is quietly pushed off of driveway and then started.
Old 04-09-13, 12:44 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
...(I ALWAYS park at the furthest/isolated parking spot)...
This method has an added benefit of avoiding parking lot dings! That's what I do as well.
Old 04-09-13, 05:49 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I ALWAYS park at the furthest/isolated parking spot.

Koz
We've been known to circle the parking lot waiting for this primo spot to open!
Regards,

SaniDel
Attached Thumbnails Keyless Access Security Threat-primo-parking-spot.jpg  
Old 04-09-13, 07:13 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i am sure a device is out there that can scan all the codes and open any keyless entry system, cars, homes, whatever it may be. so i am not surprised at all that thieves are doing this.
Old 04-10-13, 07:33 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i am sure a device is out there that can scan all the codes and open any keyless entry system, cars, homes, whatever it may be. so i am not surprised at all that thieves are doing this.
In theory the system can be made robust enough since similar approaches used in cryptography all over the place. Diffie–Hellman key exchange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffie-...n_key_exchange) is a good example of negotiating the key over unsecured channel (which is what a car and a keyfob initially have to talk over). Once the key has been negotiated the rest of communication happens over encrypted channel. I guess the question then becomes for the automaker to decide how far they want to go. I'm sure they can put a secret-level key nogitiation and encryption in place but at what costs?

Last edited by Quadro; 04-10-13 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-10-13, 04:09 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
In theory the system can be made robust enough since similar approaches used in cryptography all over the place. Diffie–Hellman key exchange (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffie-...n_key_exchange) is a good example of negotiating the key over unsecured channel (which is what a car and a keyfob initially have to talk over). Once the key has been negotiated the rest of communication happens over encrypted channel. I guess the question then becomes for the automaker to decide how far they want to go. I'm sure they can put a secret-level key nogitiation and encryption in place but at what costs?
I'm sure if it's able to be done, the repo companies would be using the technology, not just crooks...
Old 04-10-13, 08:26 PM
OrangeKid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Excluding dochusar's experience (which wasn't technically a theft since they had the keys) some major things you have to look for with the keyless stuff:

1. The rolling codes for Toyota got cracked from time to time. Every time you open your car the signal from a keyfob can be intercepted (nearby parked car, someone standing next to you with a briefcase, etc.) and the next sequence can then be generated tricking the car into thinking the legitimate keyfob is being used. For this method I believe it's actually safer to open your car using door handles because the signal gets transmitted over a shorter distance.

2. Your keyfob signal can be relayed over long distances. Basically a guy standing next to you will have a receiver/amplifier in his briefcase which will transmit the signal of your keyfob over hundreds of feet to a guy standing next to your car. Again, the car will think as if legitimate keyfob was next to it.

3. Service centers can upload additional keys into your car's brains using special equipment. A couple weeks later a guy will just drive your car as he was the owner.
After reading your response and the rest of the thread I am at a loss as to the best way to keep my GX from being stolen.
Old 04-11-13, 05:23 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OrangeKid
After reading your response and the rest of the thread I am at a loss as to the best way to keep my GX from being stolen.
The common answer in this thread appears to be insurance... Some insurance companies even have "depreciation waver" in case the vehicle is stolen, which means you get a brand new one!
Old 04-11-13, 06:06 AM
Koz

If you use a club the thief will most likely skip your vehicle unless he just intends to steal something out of the vehicle. If ANYTHING is visible (even an empty bag on the floor) they may break in.

Koz
Old 04-11-13, 06:58 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Koz
If you use a club the thief will most likely skip your vehicle unless he just intends to steal something out of the vehicle. If ANYTHING is visible (even an empty bag on the floor) they may break in.

Koz
There are devices similar to this... and [much] bigger ;-)

Also the easiest way to get over the club is to cut out the steering wheel instead...
Old 04-11-13, 08:43 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeKid

Thanks. I may get LoJack instead, after reading about dochusar's experience.
There is no need to get LoJack, you already have Enform that will locate your car if stolen. Besides, Enform is national and LoJack is not.

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 04-11-13 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-12-13, 06:08 AM
Koz

LoJack vs Enform

LoJack uses RF for its signal with an independent power source and has a higher recovery rate (90% within the first 48 hours). From what I have researched the Enform (using GPS/Cell signals) can be disabled simply by disconnecting the battery (not confirmed). I would find out for sure before depending on the Enform.

Also LoJack is a one time fee/cost!

Koz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyless Access Security Threat