GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX - New body style

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 03:30 PM
iguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 GX - New body style

Had our RX350 serviced today at our local Lexus dealer and while I was in there I asked the service manager about the 2014 GX's. He said there was a total body change in the works for the GX and that Lexus is also coming out with a smaller SUV similar to a RAV 4. We almost pulled the trigger on a new loaded 2013 GX but I am glad we didn't after hearing this information. Has anybody else heard any new news about the new 2014 GX?
Old 03-28-13, 07:03 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you will see cosmetic changes (grill, lights, features) but I doubt a full re-design. There was talk about a Lexus type RAV for a couple years; I guess they finally got that done.

Koz
Old 03-28-13, 08:23 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I think you will see cosmetic changes (grill, lights, features) but I doubt a full re-design. There was talk about a Lexus type RAV for a couple years; I guess they finally got that done.

Koz
Koz is right, there won't be a complete re-design for 2014. A couple of dealers have told me what Koz stated. I would hold off on a 2013, the 2014 should be out this summer. I'm also interested in trading mine for a 2014 model...
Old 03-28-13, 01:38 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember that GX had a complete redesign in 2010. It's as sure as it can get that a total body change is not coming any time soon. The spindle grille/LED treatment is what likely in the works.
Old 03-28-13, 02:46 PM
watch37
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on lexusenthusiast.com, on page 2 (as of today), they have details on the rumoured new compact Lexus SUV.
Old 03-28-13, 02:48 PM
Craig B

There will be some changes to the interior as well is what I've been told. I've also been told it will have the newer style navigation and electronics as well. Not sure I like the mouse over the touch screen...
Old 03-28-13, 03:20 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

My lexus sale manager said the same thing about 2014 GX. New grill, LED running light, new headlight, more interior colors, new wheels design. The interior look good for me but I can't get over the exterior.

He also mentioned the Sub-RX CUV.....
Old 03-28-13, 03:22 PM
LexusVet
Pole Position

I wouldn't trust anything the dealers told you , they had said the same thing to me last year and I waited and waited then found out an auto show from lexus exec that no changes on 2013 model so I purchased a 2012.
Old 03-28-13, 03:51 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by LexusVet
I wouldn't trust anything the dealers told you , they had said the same thing to me last year and I waited and waited then found out an auto show from lexus exec that no changes on 2013 model so I purchased a 2012.
Same here, they told me the changes were going to be made to the 2013. I kept my 2010 and will wait and see what shapes up for 2014.
Old 03-29-13, 09:19 PM
iguy
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I test drove the 2013 GX and liked it...we just didn't love it. First off there was absolutely no acceleration whatsoever. I expected way more out of the engine than what was produced. The fuel economy was another disappointment. C'mon man, bad acceleration/power AND bad fuel efficiency? I expect to have my cake and eat it too with a luxury SUV that costs $60k+!! I sure hope Lexus changes A LOT of things on the 2014 GX (enhanced engine performance, improved ride quality, lose the manual side swinging tailgate, better 3rd row accessibility, updated enform capabilities, better interior quality, etc) other than just the grill and LED lights. I'm an easy sell if they update some of the primary issues GX owners have complained about. If there aren't some major changes on the 2014 model, they've lost out on my $60+k.
Old 03-31-13, 06:22 PM
WhyNotMe01
Driver School Candidate

I hope this vehicle will be redesigned.....been holding off for a while since i do not like the current design....
Old 03-31-13, 08:26 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by iguy
My wife and I test drove the 2013 GX and liked it...we just didn't love it. First off there was absolutely no acceleration whatsoever. I expected way more out of the engine than what was produced. The fuel economy was another disappointment. C'mon man, bad acceleration/power AND bad fuel efficiency? I expect to have my cake and eat it too with a luxury SUV that costs $60k+!! I sure hope Lexus changes A LOT of things on the 2014 GX (enhanced engine performance, improved ride quality, lose the manual side swinging tailgate, better 3rd row accessibility, updated enform capabilities, better interior quality, etc) other than just the grill and LED lights. I'm an easy sell if they update some of the primary issues GX owners have complained about. If there aren't some major changes on the 2014 model, they've lost out on my $60+k.
I don't think the GX is the right vehicle for you!

Koz

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-01-13, 07:07 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
I don't think the GX is the right vehicle for you!

Koz

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
+1.

I think he needs a little shakabuku. Sounds to me like he wants features in the next bracket i.e. $80K+ vehicles for $60K. Ain't gonna happen. I don't know if there is any vehicle where you can have your cake and eat it too.

I almost bought a LX, QX and GL but they're just too big of a vehicle for my family of 3... ML, X5 and Cayenne S for the fun/funner to drive factor but they have poor reliability... RRS, LR4 or Grand Cherokee Summit because they have better offroad capabilities out of the box with no modification than the GX (2-3+ inches more ground clearance, better approach, breakover and departure angles) and terrain/offroad software features are a nice to have but major reliability issues. Had a MDX in the past but it isn't the same class of vehicle as the GX.

So the question is where do you go? I don't love the GX by any means, but it checked most of the boxes and has been a good vehicle overall. Driving it isn't a memorable or engaging experience, which depending on your vehicle needs and driving habits may or may not be a bad thing.

Few more years before you see a redesign of the GX. It's on a 6 year product cycle. Search the forum there is a fairly extensive thread.

BTW the GX is the highest margin vehicle for Lexus due to its traditional truck frame. Very cheap to produce. If they go unibody and bigger engine, I'm sure there will be a decent sized price increase due to increased production costs associated with both.

Last edited by tazdevl; 04-01-13 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 08:44 AM
KickinA
Rookie

Default Updated 2014 4Runner and GX updates?

Now that the 2014 4Runner has been updated, does anyone have info on the 2014 GX update?

The new 2014 4Runner only has a V6 now, does that mean the 2014 GX will also only have a V6 now also?

thanks
Old 05-01-13, 12:06 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2010 4Runner has a V6 as the only option as well so no change there.

Quick Reply: 2014 GX - New body style