GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX - New body style

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 10:22 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

When I drove the 4Runner I was VERY disappointed! The drive-train alone in the 4Runner is horrid! The V6 (5speed) got a hp bump but feels way hesitant/slower.

Koz
Old 08-02-13, 11:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Have you seen pictures of the 2014 GX?
No sir

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
You seem pretty sure of yourself, what else do you know with certainty? Do you have an inside line?
The 4Runner received a little more than that for the MY2014 update...heavily revised front end incl new headlamps, new tail lamps, 7-inch nav screen and other features that put it dangerously close to the GX460 in terms of content (ie heated and ventilated seats).

I would expect in addition to the "rumored" spindle grille, the GX460 to get some updated headlights with LED DRLs and restyled tail lights. Updates to the interior console as well..........

Based on the price increase that the LX570 received when it was updated for 2013 (approx 1.9%), I would expect the GX base MSRP to go up by about $1000 or so.
My manager is on the Lexus Product Council and that is the information he relayed to me.

We won't have to wait much longer. (CT is also slated for the spindle grill refresh)
Old 08-02-13, 11:51 AM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
When I drove the 4Runner I was VERY disappointed! The drive-train alone in the 4Runner is horrid! The V6 (5speed) got a hp bump but feels way hesitant/slower.

Koz
What is so horrid about it? I have a 2013 t4r and a 2011 GX. Both are adequite at what they do.
Old 08-02-13, 02:20 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
These updates will not bring the 4Runner anywhere near the GX! There is a HUGE difference between them. The current gen 4Runner is nowhere near the last gen 4Runner! Toyota dropped the ball with the current gen 4Runner, big-time.

Koz
Originally Posted by frank69m
You call this ugly 4runner beast interior a rival to the GX?

Not sure if serious? Go back and read my post, then answer your own question. I did not "call" it a "rival" to the GX. Of course I would take a GX over the 4Runner any day, however, the 2014 Limited with standard heated/ventilated seats, sonar, etc and of course the existing Torsen 4WD system just makes it seem like the 4Runner is creeping closer to the GX. That's all I was saying. You guys need to calm down or drink less coffee or something. Jeez. For $10k more, the GX is almost a no-brainer better value than the 4Runner. Of course the GX has a better drivetrain, more refined overall, better design/materials, etc. Don't be so dramatic you guys.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No sir

My manager is on the Lexus Product Council and that is the information he relayed to me.

We won't have to wait much longer. (CT is also slated for the spindle grill refresh)
Tell him we need moar infos nowwwww!!!!!
Old 08-07-13, 06:23 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Alright, it's the second week of August.......

Somebody must know SOMETHING about the 2014 (details).....

If you're a dealer or someone else with access, please can you PM me any relevant info such as order guides/pricing??
Thanks!
Old 08-07-13, 11:52 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Not sure if serious? Go back and read my post, then answer your own question. I did not "call" it a "rival" to the GX. Of course I would take a GX over the 4Runner any day, however, the 2014 Limited with standard heated/ventilated seats, sonar, etc and of course the existing Torsen 4WD system just makes it seem like the 4Runner is creeping closer to the GX. That's all I was saying. You guys need to calm down or drink less coffee or something. Jeez. For $10k more, the GX is almost a no-brainer better value than the 4Runner. Of course the GX has a better drivetrain, more refined overall, better design/materials, etc. Don't be so dramatic you guys.

Tell him we need moar infos nowwwww!!!!!
I owned a fully loaded ($43K) V8 05 Limited 4Runner which included auto leveling rear air springs and XREAS susp. I would still be driving it if it weren’t totaled. When I when to replace it with the current gen I could not believe how much Toyota cut corners and dropped most of the important features/options and some of the BASIC features (yet the price didn’t drop).

Examples of things no longer available;

V8, rear air springs, LED tail lights (even the cheap cars have LEDs), Torsen limited slip locking center diff (which was standard on ALL 4th gen models, not just the Limited). The top tow rating went from 7200 lbs. to 5000 (a Highlander can tow 5000 lbs.)

Examples of things cheapened and sub-par;

They bumped up the V6’s hp but tuned it to get better mpg. The tuning is horrid. If you do not give it at least ½ throttle the engine feels like a 4 cylinder. The interior is loaded with cheap looking plastic. They even replaced the dual window antenna with a cheap whip. Without KDSS (only optional on the Trail Model) the 4Runner (4800lbs.) handles poorly.

Koz
Old 08-07-13, 12:55 PM
Skiime
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
I owned a fully loaded ($43K) V8 05 Limited 4Runner which included auto leveling rear air springs and XREAS susp. I would still be driving it if it weren’t totaled. When I when to replace it with the current gen I could not believe how much Toyota cut corners and dropped most of the important features/options and some of the BASIC features (yet the price didn’t drop).

Koz
I'm in your exact same same situation Koz. I love my 2005 Sport, and I would love to have another, but after the new design in '10, combined with the lack of a V8 and other things you mentioned, there's no way in heck I would touch a new 4runner. Every time I look at one I think, "what was Toyota thinking," which is why I'm anxiously waiting to see the new GX front end. It's gonna be either that or if I can pick up a left over Land Cruiser in '14.
Old 08-07-13, 01:59 PM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz

V8, rear air springs, LED tail lights (even the cheap cars have LEDs), Torsen limited slip locking center diff (which was standard on ALL 4th gen models, not just the Limited). The top tow rating went from 7200 lbs. to 5000 (a Highlander can tow 5000 lbs.)

They bumped up the V6’s hp but tuned it to get better mpg. The tuning is horrid. If you do not give it at least ½ throttle the engine feels like a 4 cylinder. The interior is loaded with cheap looking plastic. They even replaced the dual window antenna with a cheap whip. Without KDSS (only optional on the Trail Model) the 4Runner (4800lbs.) handles poorly.

Koz
I disagree on you review of the t4r. Again, I own both and they have different functions for their use.
Old 08-07-13, 04:28 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by SharpSpurs
I disagree on you review of the t4r. Again, I own both and they have different functions for their use.
I think the difference in opinion (which is good) is based on us owning two different generations. I may have agreed with you if I didn't own a 4th gen. Maybe if you had owned a 4th gen before the 5th gen you may have a different opinion. The bottom line is, it doesn't really matter as long as you are happy with it. I have to thank Toyota for the 5th gen 4Runner because if it were better than the 4th (again, just my opinion), I would not have even looked at the GX. The main deal breaker for me was, I needed the vehicle to have more than a 5000lbs. tow rating and rear auto leveling air springs.

What are the different functions you mentioned?

Koz
Old 08-09-13, 11:40 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz

Koz
how the heck do you total a 4runner?
Old 08-09-13, 03:54 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by T4Fun
how the heck do you total a 4runner?
My wife was traveling on a 55mph highway (in the rain) and a young guy with a brand new Camaro lost control of his vehicle behind her. He was spinning and clipped the back of the 4Runner and put her into a spin and she was forced to hit the guard rail. Obviously the Camaro was speeding when he lost control. Both ends of the 4Runner were severely damaged and my wife walked away without a scratch!

Koz
Old 08-12-13, 06:36 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Well I got impatient and sent an email to Lexus asking about the 2014 GX, but they replied with exactly what I expected:

We will release information on the 2014 Lexus GX; such as styling, specifications, features and options closer to the launch date. We currently do not have a tentative release date. Please check lexus.com periodically for updates. You can also sign up to receive information as it becomes available at, https://secure.lexus.com/lexus/ssl/models/signup.do
Boo.

It seems like the 2013's were out in July 2012?? So this is a pretty late launch for the MY2014, according to past on-sale dates for the GX in previous model years.

I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it's another full month until we hear something...
Old 08-13-13, 04:38 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This supposed to be the official 2014 drawing, from club-lexus.ru

Old 08-13-13, 05:37 PM
elm3c
Rookie

I like it! Still hoping they've changed the rear door to a top hinge, though highly unlikely...
Old 08-13-13, 05:57 PM
Koz

I like it too!

Koz

Quick Reply: 2014 GX - New body style