Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2013 and I have no such noises.
Old 04-21-14, 11:55 AM
MyGX460
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife GX 14' made all kind of noise .. So disappointed for $60k vehicle ...
Old 04-21-14, 02:12 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far my '13 sounds very much like the Sequoia I had before only quieter over all. I did notice a whine while coasting on a road trip but I am pretty sure it was the road surface in VA because as soon as I hit NC in one direction on WV in the other the whine disappeared. The pavement in that part of VA was sort of an odd pinkish color so I think that was it. Sort of sounded like snow tires in the summer.
Old 04-21-14, 04:23 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

No such noise on my 2014 or on my 2010.
Old 03-26-15, 08:42 PM
southrnman
Driver School Candidate

Teddy,
I have exactly the same issue with my'13 GX. I reported it with just 15k miles, and dealer investigated for 3 weeks and supposedly ended up replacing the transfer case. When the car was returned, I noticed the same issue and reported it to the dealer again during next scheduled maintenance. The vehicle has been with the dealer for a month now, and they are finally calling in their regional technical expert to investigate. The dealer has mentioned that this is an issue with all GX models, including previous year and newer models. I'm not buying it. What experience have you had with your dealer? Are you considering taking any action in an attempt to receive refund? The noise is a nuisance, and I am concerned about future costly repairs and resale value.
Old 03-30-15, 08:25 AM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

at 70 mph It could also be a body panel or a loose part underneath the car that's catching wind but you would think that the dealer would catch that.
Old 03-30-15, 11:36 AM
southrnman
Driver School Candidate

I ruled that out since the noise is only present when the throttle is engaged in the 70 mile-per-hour range
Old 04-21-15, 07:05 PM
Dfisher81
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Other than a first-year LS 430 that was eerily quiet, our 2010 GX 460 with almost 32,000 miles is the quietest vehicle we have owned. However, the GX is a truck ... trucks sometimes make strange noises and in a quiet truck they are noticeable. None of the noises we have heard 'sound' like the noises you describe, but here's what we've heard and what we've done about them:

• A pronounced 'clunk' at low-speed sharp turns such as maneuvering in a parking lot was the rear door strut, which was replaced under warranty.

• A fluttering sound on smooth roads at moderate to high speeds was a loose rear wheel well liner, which was reattached under warranty.

• A rear seat rattle that occurred at all speeds, but not when the seat was occupied was eliminated by replacing a seat spring under warranty to increase tension.

We still have the original Michelin Latitude Tour HP tires and there is no tire noise that we can discern. The transmission makes a tiny whistling sound when it shifts from first to second ... my wife denies it, but I can hear it when I'm the passenger. We suspect the short length of chain hanging under the spare tire sometimes slaps against the spare wheel, but it happens so infrequently that we don't object ... knowing what is causing the sound is half the battle. Besides, what would be a reasonable solution as all GX 460 have the same chain?

That's it, which isn't much ... but none describe the sounds you are hearing. It seems like your driver's seat track is loose or worn at one position. As we switch drivers every day and our two driving positions are quite different, the driver's seat "gets a lot of exercise". Perhaps running it through all its range of motions would help? If not, how about cleaning the tracks on which it moves?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. On our recent round-trip to Sanibel from Delaware we were cruising for long stretches on I-95 at sustained high speeds that we seldom reach at home so we were alert for any new sounds or vibration. None to report. I mention that because our GX was early-production (November 2009). Neither mileage nor production date has seemed to make any difference in how it performs. If serial number #518 was made this trouble-free in 2009, so could any.
Hi SaniDel. Would you tell me more about this rattle corrected by a new seat spring? I am fighting a "tick" noise coming from the center second row backrest where it meets the seating surface. When you are in a turn with horizontal pressure on the car, the second row will go... "Tick" - almost like a stress creak, just once. If you turned the other direction, you'd more than 50% get it again. Just like a weight shift somewhere in the seat back. An occupied seat eliminates this from what I can gather.

I've had seats up down in all combinations. Armrest up and down. Towels in between the seats, under the seat. Dealer had the GX for 17 days last week trying to fix this under the CPO warranty. Ordered a new seat track under their Extra Care program, but this did not correct it. Getting frustrated. I'm headed back in early next week again. I'm about ready to tell them to just put in a new seat. This drives me crazy.

This is Lexus #7 from the dealership. They're always great but down time here is becoming a problem. I've spent no less than 10+ hours trying to locate this
Thoughts? Would you please describe the noise corrected by the spring replacement to add tension to the seat? Thanks!
Old 04-22-15, 06:03 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dfisher81
Hi SaniDel. Would you tell me more about this rattle corrected by a new seat spring? I am fighting a "tick" noise coming from the center second row backrest where it meets the seating surface. When you are in a turn with horizontal pressure on the car, the second row will go... "Tick" - almost like a stress creak, just once. If you turned the other direction, you'd more than 50% get it again. Just like a weight shift somewhere in the seat back. An occupied seat eliminates this from what I can gather.

I've had seats up down in all combinations. Armrest up and down. Towels in between the seats, under the seat. Dealer had the GX for 17 days last week trying to fix this under the CPO warranty. Ordered a new seat track under their Extra Care program, but this did not correct it. Getting frustrated. I'm headed back in early next week again. I'm about ready to tell them to just put in a new seat. This drives me crazy.

This is Lexus #7 from the dealership. They're always great but down time here is becoming a problem. I've spent no less than 10+ hours trying to locate this
Thoughts? Would you please describe the noise corrected by the spring replacement to add tension to the seat? Thanks!
The clue to solving both of our problems is that putting a passenger in the second row seat eliminated the noise. The additional weight increased tension on the seat springs which eliminated slack and prevented the seat and the back from moving relative to each other, which is what causes the noise. Our dealer got the effect of adding weight to the rear seat by replacing springs in the rear seat to increase tension, which eliminated slack when the seat was empty.

There are a lot of adjustments to the GX 460 rear seat, any of which can cause slack that would cause noise as the vehicle hits bumps in the road or creates lateral forces by turning:

• The seats adjust fore and aft on a track. The bar to release the seat is in front of each seat close to the floor. The seats move independently along the 60/40 split. Be sure they are securely latched so they don't shift fore and aft.

• The seat backs latch at several angles, plus tilting forward. Depending on where the seats are fore and aft plus the angle of the seat back, there may be contact with the tops of the third row seats when stowed. Try raising the third row seats to eliminate this possibility.

• The space between the back of the second row seats and the tops of the stowed third row seats is a trap! It needs a good vacuuming every now and then, plus the moving parts may need to be wiped with a cloth. The space can't be used for anything so be sure it is and stays empty.

• The second row armrest flips up and down, plus it is attached to one seat that slides fore and aft relative to the other seat ... that's two chances to squeak or rattle! Our GX 460 is quieter with the armrest down ... YMMV.

I'm impressed that someone else is as obsessed with keeping their vehicle quiet. It speaks highly of the GX 460 that we can notice these minor details ... typical truck-based vehicles are too noisy to notice!
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 04-23-15 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Changed reference to "head rests" to tops of third row seats
Old 08-18-15, 03:27 PM
skim07
Driver

Originally Posted by whimmels
Took my car to the dealer (Greenwich, CT). I was told that it was a vibration in the differential. They also said that they drove 4-5 other 2012 GXs, some with more miles than mine, and heard the same thing. Also said that if something happens, that it would not be all of a sudden.
Anyone out there with this expereince of a "vibrating differential?"
Thanks,
Whimmels
I have and had this problem since the car hit 15,000 miles. About 2 years after I bought it, it whined and vibrated in any gear around 1500 to 1700rpm. Would go away once you liftoff. Under warranty the Dealer replaced the rear differential and all of the noise and vibration was gone. Fast forward to 2013, they are back at 68,000 miles. The vibration and whirling drone noise is back and seems much harsher in winter than summer. In a few months once the temps drop the car will feel like ****.
Old 09-18-17, 04:55 PM
paulwendy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 Gx Dashboard Whine

Still trying to figure out this site. I just posted accolades regarding a dashboard whine that was driving me crazy, It said to raise and lower the third seat. After doing this with the automagic function the whine is gone.Thank you forever
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (09-19-17)
Old 07-06-18, 11:22 AM
Twelve1
Driver School Candidate

Default Squeeking whining noise from front of vehicle

FYI

I have a 2017 GX460 and every time i hit a dip or speed bump at an angle i would hear a strange noise coming from the front of the vehicle. Been hearing it here and there since i bought it new. It currently has 25K miles on it and finally had the time to take it in. Ive tried reading the forums but haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Took it to the dealer and the noise is coming from the hood. Hood stops and hood assembly seems to be the cause. Problem fixed in case anyone else hears something funky. if you swerve left or right and create a rocking motion it can be heard also.

Old 07-06-18, 11:38 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Twelve1
FYI

I have a 2017 GX460 and every time i hit a dip or speed bump at an angle i would hear a strange noise coming from the front of the vehicle. Been hearing it here and there since i bought it new. It currently has 25K miles on it and finally had the time to take it in. Ive tried reading the forums but haven't seen anyone else with this problem. Took it to the dealer and the noise is coming from the hood. Hood stops and hood assembly seems to be the cause. Problem fixed in case anyone else hears something funky. if you swerve left or right and create a rocking motion it can be heard also.

Advanced search of this forum for "front noise" brings it up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...uspension.html
Old 07-06-18, 11:59 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

The easily reproducible and "warranty covered" issues I just take to the dealer. Those are generally pretty clear cut to resolve. It's those random and intermittent ones that are irritating and often time consuming ones to get fixed.
Old 03-03-19, 07:58 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Digging up this old thread...Interesting read. Anyone have this whine?

Quick Reply: Whine or Whining noises