GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Me thinks GX needs to go on a diet. Where did the extra 800lbs come from?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 07:07 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Me thinks GX needs to go on a diet. Where did the extra 800lbs come from?

Where did the extra 800lbs come from?

So, I was comparing the highest end 4runner with the GX and am curious to know why the GX is 800lbs heavier. Since they are built on the same chassis and yes, I know the GX has 2 extra air bags, but where is this weight going to? In fact, the 4runner is slightly larger if anything. Me think, GX needs to go on a diet.

Height:
GX: 74.2 in
4Runner: 71.5 in

Length:
GX: 189.2 in
4Runner: 189.9 in

Wheelbase:
GX: 109.8 in
4Runner: 109.8 in

Width:
4Runner: 75.8 in

Weight:
GX: 5300 lbs.
4Runner: 4525 lbs.

800 lbs is a lot.
Old 02-15-13, 09:15 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GX is not based on 4Runner, it is based on Land Cruiser Prado. Just look at 4Runner and then look at Prado (http://www.toyota.com.au/prado) and it becomes clear.

If you look at fully optioned Prado which sells in, say, Australia, the weights are pretty much the same http://www.toyota.com.au/prado/speci.../kakadu-petrol
Old 02-15-13, 04:03 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The GX only weights 500 lbs. more than the 4Runner. The GX is based on the Prado and it has a V8 with a 6 speed trans and electric 3rd row seats. The 4Runner has a V6 and a 5 speed.

Koz
Old 02-15-13, 04:16 PM
JDG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe a significant reason for the weight is due to the "Section 179" tax break, although the 4Runner did qualify for it as well. I'm sure there are several other reasons, but this tax break for businesses was large and certainly helped sell qualifying vehicles.
Old 02-17-13, 10:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Where did the extra 800lbs come from?

So, I was comparing the highest end 4runner with the GX and am curious to know why the GX is 800lbs heavier. Since they are built on the same chassis and yes, I know the GX has 2 extra air bags, but where is this weight going to? In fact, the 4runner is slightly larger if anything. Me think, GX needs to go on a diet.

Height:
4Runner: 71.5 in

Length:
GX: 189.2 in
4Runner: 189.9 in

Wheelbase:
GX: 109.8 in
4Runner: 109.8 in

Width:
4Runner: 75.8 in

Weight:
GX: 5300 lbs.
4Runner: 4525 lbs.

800 lbs is a lot.
Depending on which model 4Runner you got, there are a whole number of factors which have increased the weight of the GX. A V8, 6 speed will both be heavier, GX has cooling seats which required the hardware, the GX has an electronic steering motor that requires hard ware. Most 4runners do not have a power passenger seat. Additonal sound deadening, projector lamps, Xenon hardware. The GX has an adaptive variable suspension vs the more simple 4Runner set up.

Not remove all these extra GX features and put them on a scale, and you will see they all add up to a lot of weight.

The GX even has an extra speaker, rainsense system, two extra rear seats. It just simply has more things to make it heavier.
Old 02-18-13, 01:08 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
the GX has an electronic steering motor that requires hard ware.
GX has a steering pump, the fluid reservoir is under the hood... Most EPS are in fact lighter, not heavier.
Old 03-11-13, 10:46 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you read through the GX launch materials/commentary, its been stated the GX was beefed up to do better in crash testing. Specifically, the roof structure has more steel due to a history of roof failures in rollovers. The weight difference between the GX accessories vs standard equivalents is not significant. It's all in the structure and the engine (V6 vs V8).

The GX does share its frame with the 4 Runner but as others have mentioned, the Prado is a better direct comparison.

Last edited by tazdevl; 03-11-13 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-11-13, 02:02 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

^^Speaking of crash testing, the Prado did pretty well as noted in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...rash-test.html
Old 03-16-13, 01:10 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different take

I respectfully, but strongly disagree.The GX does not need to go on a diet. If anything it needs to GAIN more weight.

In fact the WEIGHT is one of the reasons I'm strongly considering a GX. I need the absolute SAFEST vehicle on the road. That is the whole reason I'm willing to make such a big sacrifice in gas mileage. Your life is not worth gambling with.

For me, personally, the GX is astonishingly fuel efficient when I take its weight into consideration. So from a SAFETY standpoint it provides the best weight / fuel economy ratio.

For all other things being equal (that is EQUALLY engineered vehicles with proper crumple zones etc.), the LAWS OF PHYSICS do not lie. In a crash the HEAVIER vehicle ALWAYS wins. No matter how safe and strong the body structure (The Smart for two is a prime example of this), the lighter vehicle will experience, and ultimately transmit to the occupants far larger g-forces. So if the collapse of the structure does not kill you or seriously maim you, the sudden stopping and final motion in the opposite direction will.

With more and more retarded morons with lack of proper driving skills driving around (rampant tailgating, switching lanes unexpectedly, etc. - things that , in places like Germany, they would cut your ***** off to keep you from contaminating the gene pool), these types of considerations take prime importance over everything else.

Last edited by vicpai; 03-16-13 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-16-13, 07:31 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vicpai
I respectfully, but strongly disagree.The GX does not need to go on a diet. If anything it needs to GAIN more weight.

In fact the WEIGHT is one of the reasons I'm strongly considering a GX. I need the absolute SAFEST vehicle on the road. That is the whole reason I'm willing to make such a big sacrifice in gas mileage. Your life is not worth gambling with.

For me, personally, the GX is astonishingly fuel efficient when I take its weight into consideration. So from a SAFETY standpoint it provides the best weight / fuel economy ratio.

For all other things being equal (that is EQUALLY engineered vehicles with proper crumple zones etc.), the LAWS OF PHYSICS do not lie. In a crash the HEAVIER vehicle ALWAYS wins. No matter how safe and strong the body structure (The Smart for two is a prime example of this), the lighter vehicle will experience, and ultimately transmit to the occupants far larger g-forces. So if the collapse of the structure does not kill you or seriously maim you, the sudden stopping and final motion in the opposite direction will.

With more and more retarded morons with lack of proper driving skills driving around (rampant tailgating, switching lanes unexpectedly, etc. - things that , in places like Germany, they would cut your ***** off to keep you from contaminating the gene pool), these types of considerations take prime importance over everything else.
vicpai, I do agree with you in regards to crash tests and weight of the vehicle. There is no doubt about it. But, there is also the factor of crash avoidance and the fact that the GX460 is less manueverable than say a BMW x5, Cayenne, etc.

Take for example, this happened to me...one time...I was on the freeway at night in my BMW M3, it was dark and at the very last minute I saw a chair on the road. I swerved at the last minute and I avoided the chair and I could catch my car very easily. If I was in the GX, I bet anything I would have lost control or headed down the side of the freeway. Why? Obviously, manueverability, agility, etc. I bet if I had an X5, it would have been fine.
Old 03-17-13, 11:32 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
vicpai, I do agree with you in regards to crash tests and weight of the vehicle. There is no doubt about it. But, there is also the factor of crash avoidance and the fact that the GX460 is less manueverable than say a BMW x5, Cayenne, etc.

Take for example, this happened to me...one time...I was on the freeway at night in my BMW M3, it was dark and at the very last minute I saw a chair on the road. I swerved at the last minute and I avoided the chair and I could catch my car very easily. If I was in the GX, I bet anything I would have lost control or headed down the side of the freeway. Why? Obviously, manueverability, agility, etc. I bet if I had an X5, it would have been fine.
My X5 was in the dealers garage more than my own, no thanks...
Old 03-17-13, 12:01 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My X5 turned on a dime. It also turned into the dealer's shop about every 3 months for some electrical/mechanical problem that BMW fixed by replacing things part by part. Got rid of it a month after the 4 year warranty expired.
Old 03-19-13, 11:21 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rockydog
Got rid of it a month after the 4 year warranty expired.
Wise decision because I'm sure every visit, based on my experience, would have cost over $1K and not been infrequent.
Old 03-19-13, 11:24 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by patgilm
^^Speaking of crash testing, the Prado did pretty well as noted in this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...rash-test.html
That's the LandCruiser/LX. Completely wrong vehicle. You want the Prado/LandCruiser 150.
Old 03-19-13, 11:29 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by tazdevl
That's the LandCruiser/LX. Completely wrong vehicle. You want the Prado/LandCruiser 150.
The first video is the LX, look at the second video, it is Prado/GX. The Prado/GX actually performed a little better than the Landcruiser/LX.