GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Info-crossbars

Old 01-28-13, 06:18 PM
vjfranks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Info-crossbars

I have just bought a my very first Lexus GS460 and would like to get cross bars and racks to carry surfboards and snowboards. Could someone tell me what to get and where to get them. The dealer does offer them but for 300.00
Old 01-29-13, 07:31 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Take a look at Sewell Lexus but you need to register to get the clublexus discount. The bars from them with the discount is under $200.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/
Old 01-30-13, 12:11 PM
wsgx460
Driver School Candidate

A follow up question, if I don't purchase a cross-bar, with its current configuration (2013 GX460), is my "roof rack" pretty much useless, I don't see any space under the bar where ropes can go under. Do you guys feel the same way?
Old 01-30-13, 04:24 PM
winstoncol
Driver School Candidate

i agree, that was my impression with my gx but cross bars would help with roof cargos but the rail is purely for cross bars attachment""
Old 01-30-13, 04:51 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wsgx460
A follow up question, if I don't purchase a cross-bar, with its current configuration (2013 GX460), is my "roof rack" pretty much useless, I don't see any space under the bar where ropes can go under. Do you guys feel the same way?
Without crossbars, what would be the need for ropes? You wouldn't load cargo directly onto the roof metal, would you? It seems to be an "all or nothing" proposition ... either install the cross-bars to support the cargo and lash ropes around the cross-bars ... or none of the above.

Consider wind resistance, noise and aesthetics. The GX design of the roof 'rails' minimizes the first two and improves the latter. Tilt open the moonroof ... the GX without crossbars is much quieter because the rails are aerodynamic. My opinion ... a high roof rack without cross bars looks ... incomplete. I would prefer not to see it if it isn't being used.

Perhaps I am missing a reason why you would want to lash ropes to your roof without the crossbars. Could you elaborate?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 01-30-13, 11:33 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Get Yakima or Thule crossbars. They're way better than what Lexus offers.

You can get any additional attachments (skis, snowboard, surfboard, etc..)
Old 01-31-13, 07:42 PM
wsgx460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Without crossbars, what would be the need for ropes? You wouldn't load cargo directly onto the roof metal, would you? It seems to be an "all or nothing" proposition ... either install the cross-bars to support the cargo and lash ropes around the cross-bars ... or none of the above.

Consider wind resistance, noise and aesthetics. The GX design of the roof 'rails' minimizes the first two and improves the latter. Tilt open the moonroof ... the GX without crossbars is much quieter because the rails are aerodynamic. My opinion ... a high roof rack without cross bars looks ... incomplete. I would prefer not to see it if it isn't being used.

Perhaps I am missing a reason why you would want to lash ropes to your roof without the crossbars. Could you elaborate?
Regards,

SaniDel
I was simply saying that without the cross bar, at its current configuration, the GX roof rail is completely useless because how can you attatch anything to it? For example, if I want to secure a mattress on top of my GX, how can I do it? All these questions are under the assumption that there is no cross bar. I would to know how to use my currnet roof rail on my GX460
Old 01-31-13, 07:46 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vjfranks
I have just bought a my very first Lexus GS460 and would like to get cross bars and racks to carry surfboards and snowboards. Could someone tell me what to get and where to get them. The dealer does offer them but for 300.00
Thule makes a ski rack that attaches directly to the roof rails. It is the 5401 Snowcat. I believe that it can be purchased online for around 225.00.
Old 05-28-13, 08:43 AM
PatrikGX
Driver School Candidate

Default Thule crossbars

Originally Posted by andreys
Get Yakima or Thule crossbars. They're way better than what Lexus offers.

You can get any additional attachments (skis, snowboard, surfboard, etc..)
Hi, I can't find a Thule crossbar that would fit the GX460. They have no info on this on their website. Would appreciate if someone has got some info on this.
Old 05-28-13, 08:42 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whispbar
http://www.whispbar.com/roofracks/whispbar