Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-13, 07:22 PM
wsgx460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Semi-aniline leather

Hi,

My new 2013 GX460 comes with semi-aniline leather interior. Would somebody help me to understand what is semi-aniline leather and why is it better than conventional leather interior? BTW, what are some recommended method to keep the leather looking new?

Thank you!
Old 01-17-13, 04:16 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The semi-aniline leather is much softer and wears better than the standard Lexus leather. My old GX had regular leather and it looked horrible after a year. And that was with regular cleaning and conditioning. The creases were very bad and it started to flake. It also would absorb the dye from my leather belt which I could not get out. I am also very easy on things and it looked horrible. The drivers seat was very bad, the rest of the vehicle looked brand new since it was hardly used. My new one has semi-aniline leather and it looks perfect after over a year of use. I would not own another Lexus without it. I clean and condition it with Lexol Leather products or Zaino Leather cleaner and conditioner, whichever one I have handy at the time.
Old 01-17-13, 05:24 AM
wsgx460
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
The semi-aniline leather is much softer and wears better than the standard Lexus leather. My old GX had regular leather and it looked horrible after a year. And that was with regular cleaning and conditioning. The creases were very bad and it started to flake. It also would absorb the dye from my leather belt which I could not get out. I am also very easy on things and it looked horrible. The drivers seat was very bad, the rest of the vehicle looked brand new since it was hardly used. My new one has semi-aniline leather and it looks perfect after over a year of use. I would not own another Lexus without it. I clean and condition it with Lexol Leather products or Zaino Leather cleaner and conditioner, whichever one I have handy at the time.
Great! Thank you very much for your help. That was my concern, I didn't want to wear out the leather after a year or so.
Old 01-20-13, 01:53 PM
sparsons79
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using Lexol in the orange bottle or the Lexol Auto Care product? Reason I'm asking is I have Lexol in the orange bottle already and the bottle says old be used on auto upholstery.

Old 01-20-13, 04:09 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The orange bottle is a cleaner and can be used on leather seats. The brown bottle is the conditioner....
Old 01-20-13, 05:30 PM
sparsons79
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I need to pick up the conditioner.

Originally Posted by Craig B
The orange bottle is a cleaner and can be used on leather seats. The brown bottle is the conditioner....
Old 01-21-13, 03:48 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Craig B
Yep, Craig B is spot on.
Old 01-21-13, 03:00 PM
wsgx460
Driver School Candidate

A follow up question. With my previous cars, I used a seat cover to keep my driver's side seat in good condition. I am still considering buying a after-market seat cover (maybe from Target), do you guys have any suggestions? My biggest quesiton is that since the seats are heated and ventilated, would putting on the seat cover block the heat or ventilation? Any negative effect? Many thanks!!
Old 01-22-13, 10:54 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the leather that my car came with .. local dealer calls it "smoth leather "

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-13, 06:24 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That almost looks white!
Old 01-22-13, 11:20 PM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
That almost looks white!
it's more like ivory
Old 01-22-13, 11:24 PM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Its strange that Toyota/Lexus leather is known wear badly after less than 3 yrs of use ..

below is my 2005 Range Rover after 7 yrs of use (80k miles) .. just been cleaned and looks like new !!!

Old 01-23-13, 03:42 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emaratee
Its strange that Toyota/Lexus leather is known wear badly after less than 3 yrs of use ..

below is my 2005 Range Rover after 7 yrs of use (80k miles) .. just been cleaned and looks like new !!!

Wow! That seat looks brand new! I know, it is sad...my wife's BMW seats looked fine when she sold it after 7 years.
Old 01-23-13, 03:49 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by emaratee
This is the leather that my car came with .. local dealer calls it "smoth leather "

[IMG][/IMG]
That leather looks different from mine and others I have seen here in the States. Your side panels look to be textured whereas mine are smooth. I wonder if it is a difference in what they supply to Dubai?
Old 01-23-13, 05:38 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

That leather looks different from mine and others I have seen here in the States. Your side panels look to be textured whereas mine are smooth. I wonder if it is a difference in what they supply to Dubai?
This is the top of the range model sold here in dubai, and according to the Lexus catalog two leather types are on the offer, the one you see in the picture and the semi-aniline one .. but let me tell you the textured part is is meant to provide more strength to the side upholstery so would stand the entry & exit .. but so far it's as useless as paper .. really wrinkled too soon

Last edited by emaratee; 01-23-13 at 05:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Leather questions, concerns, problems, mods, fixes, Care