GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Is Navagation really an option?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-13, 12:19 PM
Orange6012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Navagation really an option?

I have been looking at inventory for a new GX460 all over my local area and then eventually all over the country on the Lexus website and it seems every GX460 seems to already come with navigation. Navigation was an option I really did not want (unless someone here tells me I really need to spend 2K on this). Has anyone seen any 2013 GX460 inventory out there without Navigation or is this reall not an "option" at all.
Old 05-03-13, 03:37 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

It is an option. The reason almost all GXs have it is because Lexus knows it won't sell (off the lot) without it. You can special order it without nav but expect to wait approx 3 to 4 months.

Koz
Old 05-03-13, 03:42 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It may not be available because Lexus hasn't produced any GX without navigation, but it certainly isn't a 'myth'. The owners manual devotes considerable attention to both versions so it was not only designed, but also documented. I suspect that Lexus would prefer that all GX owners pay them an extra $2K!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-04-13, 07:19 AM
GrdnRxR
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

You should also consider about the re sell factor. Will someone want it w/o Nav when it's time to sell or trade....
Old 05-04-13, 07:25 AM
FNR32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
You should also consider about the re sell factor. Will someone want it w/o Nav when it's time to sell or trade....
I agree. This is one of the primary reasons I opt for the Navigation option more often than not.
Old 05-04-13, 05:42 PM
Orange6012
Driver School Candidate

Default Appreciate Feedback

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the resale argument but I just feel this is an expensive option for something that can go obsolete so quickly and the new portable ones keep getting better and cheaper every day. From what I can tell, unless I pre-order a GX (and then would not have much pricing leverage) it seems impossible to find one anywhere that does not already include navigation. I guess I feel that if this is included in almost all models, they should raise the base price and just make it a standard feature.
Old 05-04-13, 07:00 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Orange6012
Thanks for the feedback. I understand the resale argument but I just feel this is an expensive option for something that can go obsolete so quickly and the new portable ones keep getting better and cheaper every day.
There's no question portable GPS navigators are cheaper and those that run on a 'phone are cheaper still or free, but there is more to consider. There are a myriad of screens that can be displayed ... the SETUP button provides eight categories. Each of these leads to secondary and tertiary screens to control other functions, set preferences and in general to customize your vehicle.

What happens to all of that without the navigation screen? I'm not sure, but I know not all could be retained ... the dashboard would look like a TV remote on steroids to replace all those "soft buttons" with hardware!

My point is that a GX without navigation is also a GX without a touchscreen ... it is a less customizable and therefore less desirable vehicle.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 05-06-13, 11:47 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the center console without navigation looks plain ugly and out of place on such an upscale vehicle.
Old 07-22-13, 10:04 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
It is an option. The reason almost all GXs have it is because Lexus knows it won't sell (off the lot) without it. You can special order it without nav but expect to wait approx 3 to 4 months.

Koz
This. I personally wouldn't want NAVI, and would be willing to order/wait.

Originally Posted by GrdnRxR
What if you keep your vehicle 5 years or even 10 years? Who would want a clunky outdated NAV. Just think, the iPhone 5 can do everything a factory NAV can do and then some, just think what phones will be like 5 years from now?!

Originally Posted by SaniDel
There's no question portable GPS navigators are cheaper and those that run on a 'phone are cheaper still or free, but there is more to consider. There are a myriad of screens that can be displayed ... the SETUP button provides eight categories. Each of these leads to secondary and tertiary screens to control other functions, set preferences and in general to customize your vehicle.

What happens to all of that without the navigation screen? I'm not sure, but I know not all could be retained ... the dashboard would look like a TV remote on steroids to replace all those "soft buttons" with hardware!

My point is that a GX without navigation is also a GX without a touchscreen ... it is a less customizable and therefore less desirable vehicle.
Regards,

SaniDel
Originally Posted by Quadro
I think the center console without navigation looks plain ugly and out of place on such an upscale vehicle.
Where is this confirmed? Are there any pics of a GX460 without NAV?

Because the Lexus site lists "Color LCD multi-information center-console display" as STD on all GX460s........................................................................................
Old 07-22-13, 10:49 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
This. I personally wouldn't want NAVI, and would be willing to order/wait.
<SNIP>
Where is this confirmed? Are there any pics of a GX460 without NAV?
<SNIP>
Because the Lexus site lists "Color LCD multi-information center-console display" as STD on all GX460s

AdrianXT ... pictures of the multi-information display (MID) are in your glove box if you own a GX. If not, I've appended a picture from the Lexus Drivers site, which has a complete set of manuals online.

I won't comment on the appearance of the MID ... other than to say that a GX 460 without navigation isn't useless as the vehicle can certainly be used, but it may be worthless as a used vehicle. Knowing that essentially all GX 460 come with navigation, one without would be such an anomaly that prospective buyers would be put off.

Here's my analogy to homes ... no one wants to buy the only house in the neighborhood with a swimming pool or the only house without a garage!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. There is one benefit of the MID ... the current outside air temperature is continuously displayed. It's "one page away" with navigation.
Attached Thumbnails Is Navagation really an option?-multi-information-display.jpg  

Last edited by SaniDel; 07-22-13 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 10:58 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SaniDel
AdrianXT ... pictures of the multi-information display (MID) are in your glove box if you own a GX. If not, I've appended a picture from the Lexus Drivers site, which has a complete set of manuals online.

I won't comment on the appearance of the MID ... other than to say that a GX 460 without navigation isn't useless as the vehicle can certainly be used, but it may be worthless as a used vehicle. Knowing that essentially all GX 460 come with navigation, one without would be such an anomaly that prospective buyers would be put off.

Here's my analogy to homes ... no one wants to buy the only house in the neighborhood with a swimming pool or the only house without a garage!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. There is one benefit of the MID ... the current outside air temperature is continuously displayed. It's "one page away" with navigation.
Thanks. That is helpful. I do not have a GX and do not have the manual.

I am just in the beginning stages of shopping for a new Lexus, whether its an IS, GS, or GX. Wide open at this point. No matter which one I get however, I will not be getting NAV.

That picture is helpful. Looks a little odd compared to the big NAV screen, but no big deal. I can live with it.

If I spring for the GX, it will have to last me a long time. Like 10-12 years. I will be hellbent on keeping it that long, and I think it would meet that demand.

Are there any more pics/diagrams of the buttons around the smaller/standard MID screen?

Last edited by SecPole14; 07-22-13 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-22-13, 11:13 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What if you keep your vehicle 5 years or even 10 years? Who would want a clunky outdated NAV. Just think, the iPhone 5 can do everything a factory NAV can do and then some, just think what phones will be like 5 years from now?!
This is not true. The factory nav does things that no mobile nav can;

The factory nav has "dead reckoning". The system is linked to sensors in the vehicle that will allow the system to keep tracking you on the map when you lose the sat signal. (speed, turning angles, etc.). The nav is also integrated into the vehicles stereo and hvac systems (can use voice commands). Not to mention park assist and cameras.

Koz
Old 07-22-13, 11:15 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Fair enough, but if I am reading the Lexus site correctly, you still get backup camera even without NAV, and the optional park assist will work without NAV as well.
Old 07-22-13, 11:52 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Fair enough, but if I am reading the Lexus site correctly, you still get backup camera even without NAV, and the optional park assist will work without NAV as well.
Let's not forget the legalities. I live in Delaware, which like many states ... and perhaps all states eventually ... outlaw hand-help 'phones. I too have an iPhone 5 and could do all you say with mine, but not legally. Holding a 'phone is a "primary offense " ... seeing you holding a 'phone while driving will get you pulled over, ticketed and fined. My iPhone 5 is my constant companion ... except when I am the driver ... in which case it stays in my pocket.

In contrast, both the driver and passenger have access to the touchscreen for functions too numerous to mention. Besides navigation, music and climate we subscribe to receive Sirius/XM traffic and weather alerts, plus Lexus Destination Assist, which is our "on the go" navigation service as the GX locks-out the navigation keypad when the vehicle is moving. If you are driving and decide to suddenly "change course" to an unfamiliar destination you will appreciate how useful it is to press one button and talk to someone who can find it and download it to your route.

I'm as much a fan of the iPhone as anyone, but I still prefer the integration of services in the Lexus navigation touchscreen.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. My suggestion ... wait to see how Apple will integrate their technology with the automobile manufacturers ... it's called "iOS in the Car". You may get the best of both!

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

Here's a recent review article about how it will work.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/car...media--1158782
Old 07-22-13, 12:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

It would have been nice if they would have kept the screen the same size and just got rid of the navigation part of it. I have seen the LS that has the same size screen but not navigation and I have a friend that mistakenly bought a used 2007 GS350 without navigation (thinking it had navigation) and it has the exact same screen, just not the navigation part of it. That GX non-NAV screen looks small and out of place on the dash.

Quick Reply: Is Navagation really an option?