GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Damage caused by valet attendant, need assistance!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 09:13 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damage caused by valet attendant, need assistance!

Knowing how much I hate leaving my truck with a valet attendant, I decided to go against my principles since it was my 25th anniversary and wanted to be extra nice to my wife and leave the car to a young guy to park. Well, it happened, next morning I check my truck and the plastic rear bumper was off from the tail light and the paint was damaged, on the plastic bumper. I was able to push back the bumper which snapped in place. Now I have just damage to the bumper, the paint came off and a have some scratches in the area. My question is, can a plastic bumper be repaired without having to be painted completely? In other words, can they repair the damage in the specific area without having to take the bumper apart and paint it again?
Old 12-12-12, 12:15 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Post a picture.
Old 12-12-12, 12:51 PM
Tnorling
Rookie

I would contact my Lexus dealer to see what they suggest.
Old 12-12-12, 01:30 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They certainly can, the paint shop will completely remove paint in and around the scratched area and then repaint starting with the primer. You won't be able to tell anything ever happened so hopefully that will make you feel better. As to whether it's better to repaint the whole bumper - I don't really know. More expensive for sure.
Old 12-12-12, 02:06 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

It depends on the color, I would ask show it to your Lexus dealer, or a very good body shop. The valet should pay for the repairs. I think it would be best to paint the bumper off the vehicle, so you don't get any over spray on your vehicle.
Old 12-12-12, 05:02 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We took a shot in the right rear door from a kid with a slingshot, which dented the door, cracked the paint and exposed bare metal. Our Lexus dealer and our insurance agent recommended the same body shop. Needless to say, there is no evidence of the repair ... the door looks like when the vehicle was new.

Your problem is getting the parking lot to take responsibility for the damage ... not the quality of the repairs. Be prepared to leave your GX at the shop for a week ... it takes that long for the different coats of primer and paint to be applied, dried and sanded.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. Totally off-topic ... bonus points for being so considerate of your wife on your 25th anniversary ... don't let this spoil it!
Old 12-13-12, 08:40 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Thanks a lot for all the encouraging postings, you guys made me feel much better and have put a smile on my face. I spent my anniversary weekend worrying about this and fortunately now a feel a lot better. The valet company is going to take care of the repair, however they are sending me to their repair shop. I'll make an appointment and see what they have to offer me and if I really like their work. I am kind of reluctant to give my truck to any auto body shop. I posted a picture, my wife thinks that I am paranoid and that this is just a small damage but when you spend money on a vehicle and you take care of really good, things like this annoy the heck out of anyone. I know it can be fixed and that there are other things that are more important than this, I hope that I dont't sound too crazy!
Attached Thumbnails Damage caused by valet attendant, need assistance!-damage.jpg  
Old 12-13-12, 11:12 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 232 Likes on 163 Posts

That is a pretty easy repair, they can just repair that small area. They will take off the bumper, repair/respray that small area and blend it with the surrounding area and then reclear the whole bumper. By just repainting the small area, the sides where the bumper meet the fender will be the same color as before and there would be no matching issues (even though factory bumpers never really match the fenders anyway).
Old 12-13-12, 11:16 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, I'm surprised the valet company will take care of the repair! I had expected them to argue that since you didn't notice the damage until the next day, it's your fault. However, I have the same concern as you about where to have it repaired.

Where would your Lexus dealer and your insurance company have it repaired ... it may be the same place. Like for other luxury vehicles, only certain body shops are qualified to repaint Lexus. In Wilmington, Delaware only Delaware Cadillac's body shop can do it, but you may have more options in New York. If you are dissatisfied with where the valet company wants to have the work done, maybe they will give you a check instead and you can take it to where you want.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. You have every reason to be upset ... you didn't cause the damage, the valet company did and you should expect them to make it right. Only if it was solely your fault should you "become philosophical" about the problem! ;-)
Old 12-13-12, 02:29 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't blame you for wanting it repaired quickly. It would be the first thing I'd see every time I went for a drive.

Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like an easy repair. I wouldn't worry about taking it to a "luxury" body shop. The one's I've seen are for exotic cars that need special paint and/or are made with special materials (aluminum, carbon fiber). The GX paint is probably a common Toyota mix and far from exotic.
Old 12-13-12, 11:23 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
I don't blame you for wanting it repaired quickly. It would be the first thing I'd see every time I went for a drive.

Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like an easy repair. I wouldn't worry about taking it to a "luxury" body shop. The one's I've seen are for exotic cars that need special paint and/or are made with special materials (aluminum, carbon fiber). The GX paint is probably a common Toyota mix and far from exotic.
Yeap, it is Toyota paint and there nothing "special" about repairing a bumper.... It's very easy to do and if they want to get it done, I would let them.

P.S. If you ever need to get touch up paint, it is always cheaper at Toyota