GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Running Board Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-12, 07:12 AM
Skiime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing running boards

Just curious, has anyone removed the running boards on the GX? I've never been a huge fan of them and was wondering if anyone has ever taken them off and what it looks like.
Old 11-21-12, 07:46 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The running boards on the GX are beautiful. The way they integrate with the body and being paint matched. I coated mine with clear-bra material. Unless you plan on moderate off-roading why would you even think of taking them off?

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Running Board Removal-gx-wo-running-boards.jpg  
Old 11-21-12, 07:56 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the running boards look nicer with than without, on any vehicle. The more gear, the less stock it will look like.
Old 11-21-12, 07:12 PM
Skiime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just personal preference, I've just never been a fan of running boards...plus they always seem to get my pant legs wet on rainy days. I actually like the pic posted without them. Anyway, not trying to start anything, just wanted to see what it would look like without them. Thanks.
Old 11-23-12, 05:15 AM
Koz

Hay, If you like the look of no running boards, no one here would have any reason to start anything. This is one of the few sites that there is no judgement and everyone gets along. Sort a like a GX family.

Koz
Old 11-24-12, 06:42 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the running boards are a thing of beauty for the gx and nowadays dont come on most suvs. i think it adds to aesthetics of gx and without them looks quite 'naked' and strange.
Old 11-24-12, 12:52 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm pretty sure most SUV's DO come with running boards nowadays.
Old 11-24-12, 02:24 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I'm pretty sure most SUV's DO come with running boards nowadays.
not painted integrated ones like the gx and LX. please post which suv comes with these and then look at the lexus suv's? last i checked, MB and RR dont even have one on their stock suvs.
Old 11-24-12, 03:56 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
not painted integrated ones like the gx and LX. please post which suv comes with these and then look at the lexus suv's? last i checked, MB and RR dont even have one on their stock suvs.
You said running boards in your first post, not integrated running boards. Toyota rav4, MB, Inifiniti, Suburban, Tahoe and the list goes on. I do agree that the American SUV's aren't as nice as the others but they do have integrated Running boards on them as well.
Old 11-24-12, 04:30 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
You said running boards in your first post, not integrated running boards. Toyota rav4, MB, Inifiniti, Suburban, Tahoe and the list goes on. I do agree that the American SUV's aren't as nice as the others but they do have integrated Running boards on them as well.
rav4? youre joking right? infiniti -only offers on qx 56. lets just agree to disagree..end.

Last edited by T4Fun; 11-24-12 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-24-12, 04:56 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Regardless of their name or their aesthetics, they are functional and for more than vehicle access. Think about cleaning the top center of the windshield, installing or adjusting roof rack crossbars or accessing your garage door opener with your vehicle in the garage. We just finished a 1,200 mile road trip and at every gas service the windshield needed "bug removal" ... open the front door, stand on the 'board, grab the front assist with your inboard hand and half the windshield is easily accessible.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. In the three years we've owned our GX, neither my wife nor I have used them for vehicle access, but others we host for lunch dates have. Climbing into the rear seats isn't quite as easy as the front seats!
Old 11-24-12, 07:26 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
rav4? youre joking right? infiniti -only offers on qx 56. lets just agree to disagree..end.
Yes, Rav4, not kidding. Agree. End.
Attached Thumbnails Running Board Removal-image.jpg  
Old 09-04-13, 10:14 AM
Koz

Default Running Board Removal

Has anyone removed the running boards? I’m going to do some more off-roading and I do not want to worry about the boards. I am wondering how much trouble is involved.

Koz
Old 09-04-13, 12:51 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Koz
Has anyone removed the running boards? I’m going to do some more off-roading and I do not want to worry about the boards. I am wondering how much trouble is involved.

Koz
Pine Barrons again?
Old 09-05-13, 04:01 AM
Koz

I have been invited to a Range Rover off-road customer event (should be very interesting). I do not want to worry about the boards but I do not want to go through a major hassle taking them off and re-installing them.

Koz

Quick Reply: Running Board Removal